ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Using ILR Residency card to re-enter the UK post citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aaj123

Using ILR Residency card to re-enter the UK post citizenship

Post by aaj123 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:39 pm

I have recently acquired British citizenship (via naturalisation). I have applied for my British passport. I am also aware that I can use my Indian passport for travel to India without penalty during the grace period of 90 days from the date of naturalisation certificate.

Now I am due to travel to India in August (my trip is within the 90 day grace period). Although I have applied for my passport three weeks back, I have concerns that I may not be able to get the British passport in time for my trip (with all the news about passport backlog). This would mean that though I can travel to and enter India with my Indian passport (being within grace period), I will not have a British passport to present at the airport when I return. Can I enter at that point showing my ILR Residency card?

Of course, should I receive my British passport before my trip commences, then the above issue goes away.

keerthi

Re: Using ILR Residency card to re-enter the UK post citizen

Post by keerthi » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:05 pm

i thought everyone needs to send the current passport while applying for First British Passport?

aaj123

Post by aaj123 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:10 pm

keerthi wrote:i thought everyone needs to send the current passport while applying for First British Passport?
You are right but I am fairly certain the return of documents will happen in time (if that doesn't happen then yes I will need to cancel my trip). I am talking about the scenario where my current Indian passport gets returned but British passport does not get issued before my trip.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:56 pm

You generally get your supporting documents back either just before or just after the interview (or in my case, 5 weeks after my interview)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

aaj123

Post by aaj123 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:07 pm

Fingers crossed about getting back documents before the trip.

But back to the original question: Assuming I get my Indian passport back and can therefore travel to India, what is the view about being able to enter UK again using ILR card (instead of British passport)?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:19 pm

you can use your Indian passport, ILR BRP and travel with your certificate - no issue at all.

Make sure you are within the 90 days grace period. Your considered British from the date of your ceremony/certificate date, not the passport issue date.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

aaj123

Post by aaj123 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:35 pm

CR001 wrote: Make sure you are within the 90 days grace period. Your considered British from the date of your ceremony/certificate date, not the passport issue date.
A question regarding this. The ceremony for myself, spouse and our son was in early June and we received the certificates on the day of the ceremony. The hand-written date mentioned on the certificate of myself and my spouse is the date of the ceremony so the India trip in August is well within 90 days grace period. However, although our minor son too got the certificate that day, his certificate already had a pre-printed date of 20th April. The council officials told us that this is how Home Office had sent it.

What is the implication of this? Clearly the ceremony for all three of us took place in June but given that the date on my son's certificate is an April date, will he be deemed to fall outside the grace period if he travels to India using Indian passport in August?

vivdubes

Post by vivdubes » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:40 pm

Yes.. the child would fall outside the grace period if I were you I would get the British PP and then travel.. considering you might look for getting OCI later which would become trouble some for the child if the Indian authorities find out that he has travelled after becoming British. It is not an issue from UK authorities but definitely from Indian authorities unless you want to take a known risk.

aaj123

Post by aaj123 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:40 pm

vivdubes wrote:Yes.. the child would fall outside the grace period if I were you I would get the British PP and then travel.. considering you might look for getting OCI later which would become trouble some for the child if the Indian authorities find out that he has travelled after becoming British. It is not an issue from UK authorities but definitely from Indian authorities unless you want to take a known risk.
The worst case if child travels to India using Indian passport is only that I might be required to pay £145 extra during renunciation Indian passport of my child, right? This is as per what is stated on https://www.hcilondon.in/renunciation.html

3. Travel each time on Indian Passport after acquiring foreign citizenship subject to maximum of Rs.50,000/- £ 145.00

Te problem in getting an OCI card before travel for my child is that there simply wouldn't be time for that. I have to first get my Indian passport back from the UK passport office and for now, I am just hoping that happens in time. Applying for OCI card would take more time and that simply can't happen before the trip planned in August. So I am happy to just take the hit of £145 if that is all that is at stake.

aaj123

Post by aaj123 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:41 pm

aaj123 wrote: The worst case if child travels to India using Indian passport is only that I might be required to pay £145 extra during renunciation Indian passport of my child, right? This is as per what is stated on https://www.hcilondon.in/renunciation.html

3. Travel each time on Indian Passport after acquiring foreign citizenship subject to maximum of Rs.50,000/- £ 145.00
Any advice on above point?