ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is ELA required from UK NARIC for a US Degree?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

naveenkr
Newly Registered

Is ELA required from UK NARIC for a US Degree?

Post by naveenkr » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:45 pm

I am about to apply for British Nationality as the spouse of a British citizen. I have a question regarding English language requirement, which seems to have changed recently.

I passed my Life in the UK test in 2009 and obtained an indefinite leave to remain in the same year (I had applied as a souse of a British citizen). I have a Masters degree in Computer Science from the USA (University of Illinois, Chicago).

Since my degree was taught or researched in a majority English speaking country, is it correct that I do not require an English Language Assessment from UK NARIC?

Has anyone who recently applied, been in this situation? I would appreciate if you could please advise me here.

I have the original certificate and transcripts from the degree. Would that be sufficient to prove it was taught in English?

Please note that since I didn't come via the Tier 1 or HSMP route, the Points Based calculator is not applicable to me.

I would appreciate any advise.

Thanks
Naveen

Quoting the English Language requirement from gov.uk:
Degrees taught or researched in English
You’ll need to prove your degree was both:

taught or researched in English
confirmed by UK NARIC as the equivalent of a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD degree in the UK
You’ll need to provide your original degree certificate and 1 of the following:

a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English
an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)

SouthWest1

Re: Is ELA required from UK NARIC for a US Degree?

Post by SouthWest1 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:52 am

Unless you are a national of a majority English speaking country, you will still need either:

1- NARIC confirmation " English language assessment".
or
2- PBS print out awarding you 30 points for the degree plus 10 points for English.

You do not have to be on tier or HSMP visa to use PBS, you can still use it any way.

that's the link to use : https://www.points.homeoffice.gov.uk/gu ... ment.faces
if it awards you the points, then you are good to go.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:57 am

That's incorrect, a degree taught in the USA would merely need a SoC from UKNARIC or to show 20 or more points for qualification.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

naveenkr
Newly Registered

Post by naveenkr » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:06 pm

Thanks for this reply. I just wanted to confirm that my application for naturalisation has been approved. I obtained a SoC from UK NARIC and that was sufficient to prove my degree certificate met the language requirements.

I couldn't use the PBS system since I did not come through Tier 1.