ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After Entering UK, what formalities (NIC, NHS, Police Reg.)

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Raiees

After Entering UK, what formalities (NIC, NHS, Police Reg.)

Post by Raiees » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:50 am

Hi,
I have my HSMP visa and EC with me and I am entering to UK in Sep 1st. I need to know after entering UK what formalities I need to do. just like NIC registration (still I dont have any employement offer) NHS registration, Police Registration... Please Guide me
Thanks in Advance

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:06 am

Not sure I undestand what you mean by HSMP visa and EC??? What's EC?

Re: NIC, that you can apply for once you working in the UK.

If you are going to be working with kids a police clearance certifcate from your home country would be a very good idea as they will ask for it.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:14 am

EC is Entry Clearance, I think HSMP/WP holders still need to formally apply for a visa to entry UK after they are granted HSMP/WP.

WRT Police Registration - I think the OP means exactly that, some Nationalities need to, like my Russian gf, it's a right pain in the arse.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Raiees

Post by Raiees » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:25 pm

Thanks for prompt reply.
Yeah After HSMP we need to have Entry Clearence (EC).
Actually my issues are...
1. I am coming from Dublin to Bristol, when I came in my visiting visa then I saw in Bristol there is no passport control as its a domestic flight so I will not have any stamp on my passport there. I read in the site that I need to registered in Police.
http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... e_uk_.html?

2. If I dont have Employment then still I can apply for NIC no. or I have to wait for my job? and where I should contact for it?

3. Any other Formailites I need to do for my valid status in UK.

Thanks in Advance

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:59 pm

I can't answer your other questions, but with regard to #1, try asking someone at Dublin Airport if they can notify Bristol that you will need to have an Immigration officer there. If they can't have a GOOD look through the airport or ask around and try to find one. Since it is your first time coming to the UK on that visa, it must be endorsed when you enter the UK. Failing that, send your passport along with plane ticket, boarding pass, etc and a letter of explanation, and they can endorse the passport.

I think registering with the police is determined my what country you're from, though I'm not positive. What's your nationality?

For a national insurance number, I think you have to be a job-seeker, and you don't necessarily have to already be working. That said, you don't have to have one before you start looking, and if you want, when you find a job, your employer can help you sort that out.

Registering for a GP... if you know where you will be living just call a doctor's surgery in your area and enquire about registering with their practice. Once they register you, they will send the enfo in for you to get a medical card.

Raiees

Post by Raiees » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:06 pm

Thanks Yankeegirl,
I am an Indian and working in Ireland. Would you have any idea if I dont find any immigration in bristol where I should contact then, I mean where I should endros my passport.
for police registration actually it was mentioned in the site I have already given the link.

Thanks again for all information.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:18 pm

Bear in mind not every police station can do the registrations, ur local Bobby in the local Nick prolly won't know what to do or be able to do it. Manchester was the nearest one to us and they didn't seem completely sure about the procedure.

It's costs 35 quid too! And, if ur caught without it, a six thousand pounds fine or nine months in prison so carry it around at all times. My gf doesn't, so I got the ADSA security guard who I thought was a convincing policeman to ask her for it. She sussed it tho.

Raiees

Post by Raiees » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:25 pm

Thanks Wanderer,
I will be staying in Bath Spa and near by big city is Bristol only.
How can I know which Police station will register? any info or link on the internet regarding this?

Thanks again

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:27 pm

Raiees wrote:Thanks Wanderer,
I will be staying in Bath Spa and near by big city is Bristol only.
How can I know which Police station will register? any info or link on the internet regarding this?

Thanks again
I'd imagine it would be Bristol. I dunno link - the police themselves dont seem so sure, it's not really one their core concerns! Ask at the nearest one when u get there, they'll tell you.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:27 pm

Raiees,

If there isn't anyone in Bristol, contact the Home Office and they should be able to tell you where to send it. Just make sure to do it as soon as possible to avoid any issues in the future. :)

I'm afraid I can't help with the police registration, though.

Good luck in the UK!

Raiees

Post by Raiees » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:34 pm

yankeegirl wrote:Raiees,

If there isn't anyone in Bristol, contact the Home Office and they should be able to tell you where to send it. Just make sure to do it as soon as possible to avoid any issues in the future. :)

I'm afraid I can't help with the police registration, though.

Good luck in the UK!

Thanks yankeegirl for your help.
I sent a mail to homeoffice as well but even they are forwaring my mail to one department to other, but I will take your advice and try to solve everything now otherwise I may have issue in future.
thanks again :)

Raiees

Post by Raiees » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:36 pm

Wanderer wrote: I'd imagine it would be Bristol. I dunno link - the police themselves dont seem so sure, it's not really one their core concerns! Ask at the nearest one when u get there, they'll tell you.
Thanks Wanderer,
Even I hope it should be in Bristol otherwise I will ask them to assist.

Thanks for your help :)

jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:00 pm

Hello

As a common wealth citizen (Indian) you are not required to register with police. Moreover in case police registration is required, it would be endorsed on the visa itself.

Regarding immigration control, I am not sure but when my friends (Pakistani nationals) flew from Dublin to Glasgow Prestwick, they had to pass through immigration control, so there may be an immigration officer at Bristol as well though not too sure.

Best of luck

gordon

Post by gordon » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:02 pm

For confirmation, beyond what you'd find in the vignette in your passport, here's the IND policy statement about registration with the police:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/lawand ... les/part10

... and then to find out whether you are a'relevant foreign national' to whom this policy re registration would apply:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/lawand ... /appendix2

Raiees

Post by Raiees » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:52 pm

jazbaati99 wrote:Hello

As a common wealth citizen (Indian) you are not required to register with police. Moreover in case police registration is required, it would be endorsed on the visa itself.

Regarding immigration control, I am not sure but when my friends (Pakistani nationals) flew from Dublin to Glasgow Prestwick, they had to pass through immigration control, so there may be an immigration officer at Bristol as well though not too sure.

Best of luck
Thanks Jazbaati,
I think, in my visa it is not endrosed. I will check the immigration with Bristol airport as I have already sent a mail to them

Raiees

Post by Raiees » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:56 pm

gordon wrote:For confirmation, beyond what you'd find in the vignette in your passport, here's the IND policy statement about registration with the police:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/lawand ... les/part10

... and then to find out whether you are a'relevant foreign national' to whom this policy re registration would apply:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/lawand ... /appendix2
Thank you very much Gordon,
I have checked the link and India is not in the list so I dont need the registration.

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:23 pm

as explained by others. u dont need a police reg if from india. all hsmps i know dont have any police registration.

regarding NI you dont need a job to get it. my friends wife got one without a job in london. i got 2 kno this later. my wife was told by national insurance office in newcastle that one cant get NI without job even after enquiring there. she lost a couple of jobs after passing interviews, they said to contact them only after having NI # , so was in catch 22 situation, luckily she got an employer who didnt insist on the # before job. people dont know the rules, so with such employers one may loose out in interviews if HR insists on NI# before employing like in my wifes case.

later read somewhere, that to get NI #, you need job or be looking for a job, it was explained that, you can apply for jobs and send application by reg post or ask for acknowledgement that application was received. even if you dont get job, that way you have proof you applied and that proof is sufficient for showing you are looking for jobs and satisfy criteria for getting NI. it is slightly easier to get jobs with NI especially with ignorant employers.

by the way if your first job is a training job, please take a letter from your employer to this effect. my friend when he left uk permanently in 2004 got a NI refund for i think 1y worth of contributions after giving them a letter from employer saying working in training post. initially they refused saying no refunds but then they gave refund. he persisted because his friend had previously similarly got a refund as well. i dont know if the rules have changed after 2004 regarding the NI refunds for people in training jobs in 1st year of employment. incase it helps others get refunds, my friend got his refund from newcastle upon tyne, refunds section. have the address and phone # for the refunds section somewhere, might have to digup my papers as dont remember it

Raiees

Post by Raiees » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:30 am

Hi Vinay
Thank you very much for your detailed information, I will apply for NIC as soon as I land to UK, just need to know onething where I should apply for NIC.
Regards

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:22 am

Did you get your entry clearance in Dublin? If so this used to be a different format to those issued outside of the CTA, to take into account the lack of immigration officers.

I don't know if it is still the same though. You may want to contact the embassy in Dublin to discuss it.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:29 am

Wanderer wrote:Bear in mind not every police station can do the registrations, ur local Bobby in the local Nick prolly won't know what to do or be able to do it. Manchester was the nearest one to us and they didn't seem completely sure about the procedure.

It's costs 35 quid too! And, if ur caught without it, a six thousand pounds fine or nine months in prison so carry it around at all times. My gf doesn't, so I got the ADSA security guard who I thought was a convincing policeman to ask her for it. She sussed it tho.
Wanderer, there is no requirement to carry your police registration certificate on your person at all times. I don't know where you got this information, but it's wrong.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Wanderer wrote:And, if ur caught without it, a six thousand pounds fine or nine months in prison so carry it around at all times. My gf doesn't, so I got the ADSA security guard who I thought was a convincing policeman to ask her for it. She sussed it tho.
As far as I know, there is no requirement for anyone in the UK to carry identification with them at all times.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:26 pm

Christophe wrote:
Wanderer wrote:And, if ur caught without it, a six thousand pounds fine or nine months in prison so carry it around at all times. My gf doesn't, so I got the ADSA security guard who I thought was a convincing policeman to ask her for it. She sussed it tho.
As far as I know, there is no requirement for anyone in the UK to carry identification with them at all times.
There is with the Police Registration Certificate! Has her pic on it and everything!

Of course, now I'm doubting it - I'll check hers when I get home!

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:59 pm

Wanderer wrote:There is with the Police Registration Certificate! Has her pic on it and everything!

Of course, now I'm doubting it - I'll check hers when I get home!
I still can see no requirement anywhere that this document must be carried on the person. (Plenty of documents now have photo ID - notably driving licences - but that doesn't mean that they need to be carried at all times.) The important thing is that the person should register with the police if required to do so, not that the registration certificate should be carried around.

Indeed, for example, from the summer school section of the website of Kingston University (in Surrey):
Q: What happens once I have registered with the Police?

A: Once you have registered with the police you will get a Police Registration Certificate. You should keep this in a safe place with your passport.
Of course, things might change in the future and everyone might be required to carry ID at all times. However, the government has said that this will not be the situation with the proposed new ID card scheme. Such a change would represent a remarkable departure from accepted British norms.

Raiees

Post by Raiees » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:45 pm

VictoriaS wrote:Did you get your entry clearance in Dublin? If so this used to be a different format to those issued outside of the CTA, to take into account the lack of immigration officers.

I don't know if it is still the same though. You may want to contact the embassy in Dublin to discuss it.

Victoria
Hi Victoria,
Yes, I got my EC in Dublin only, and I dont think it has different format but I am not sure. I will surely contact the embassy here
Thanks
Raiees

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:52 pm

Raiees wrote:Hi Vinay
Thank you very much for your detailed information, I will apply for NIC as soon as I land to UK, just need to know onething where I should apply for NIC.
Regards
go to you local job centre or council office and they will let you know how to get NIC.

also regarding uk bank accounts etc found the following on another post on this website. hope it helps for people new to uk.

i had problems getting bank accounts, getting credit cards etc when i first started working in uk.

infact was borrowing money from friends as didnt have cards even though had basic account in lloyds with all my salary in it. bank used to close before i finished work, so didnt have access to my money in bank as they refused to give me a card when i first opened account. even though i had my entire pay in the account with no outgoings. none of the bloody banks gave me card in stirling as my hospital accomodation postcode (correct postcode) did not come up in bank addres searches!!! even banks in edinburg refused me when i travelled there just to open account. later travelled all the way from stirling in scotland to darlington to visit a friend and casually enetered hsbc there around closing time and they agreed to give me account, debit card and credit card!!! unluckily for me there was power failure !!!! and all bank lights dissappeared in the darkness of winter. but the people at the bank were friendly enough to do everything manually in candlelight for me even though computers didnt work !!! maybe that is why i got it as their computers were down and they couldnt do the address check or might have been refused there as well.

my another friend in london, had same problem, no one was opening bank account for him. it got so bad that he still didnt have account when he got his pay and payroll gave him cheque as he didnt have account. but he didnt have an account to credit his cheque into !!!! and he was borrowing money as well from others as he didnt have access to his cheque money !!!

to avoid such situations to others new to uk. i recently came across these facilities for newcomers to uk. for a fee they apparently arrange bank account and give other such facilities. i have not tried them. but just thought it will be useful for other newcomers who have trouble getting bank accounts.

see the links
http://www.1stcontact.com/live/index.ph ... ry_ID=1036

http://www.quickstartuk.co.uk/

also saw other posts about hsbc bank giving something called a passport account, which can be applied for from outside the uk. dont know the details. see on the bank account thread on hsmp section.

also saw on another post that you can get address proof, if staying with a friend and they ask their utility companies to add you to the bill, next bill will have your name as well and you will have address proof, which should ease things for you.

hope this helps