ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Not married - Getting kids British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rclaypole
Newly Registered

Not married - Getting kids British Citizenship

Post by rclaypole » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:35 am

Hi,

I am currently not married and have never been so, but have been living with my partner for 13 years. I am a full British Citizen but my partner is Finnish.

My Daughter was born in 2005 and my son in 2008. Due to sporting achievements my daughter may need a British Passport to be able to join a professional development centre which dictates members must be eligible for selection at International level i.e. she must be eligible to play for England.

Reading the information online for my daughter:

You might not be a British citizen if:

you were born before 1 July 2006
your parents weren’t married when you were born (and aren’t married now)
You’re a British citizen if this doesn’t apply to you. You don’t need to register or naturalise, and you can live in the UK and get a British passport.

So it sounds like my Son is by default a British Citizen but my daughter is not due to me not being married at the time she was born. Both kids were born in GB. My partner has lived in the UK for the last 13 years. I am the named father on the kids birth certificates.

What I need to understand is what options are available for my to get my daughter British Citizenship? Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Is the only option for me to get married, something that will happen one day but never been top of the list?

Thanks

vinny

Re: Not married - Getting kids British Citizenship

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:38 am

Registration.

Three options.

By entitlement under Section 1(3) (mother settled) or under Section 1(4) (child has lived in UK for first 10 years)

or by discretion under Section 3(1) (Unmarried British father)
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sondre
Newly Registered

Re: Not married - Getting kids British Citizenship

Post by sondre » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:35 am

Hi,

same problem here . Not married to my kids British father .

My son who was born in 2006 cant get British passport , but younger one,who was born in 2007 has got a British passport ...

I received a letter asking me to give them ILR letter / card (or whatever form it comes ) dated at the time when my first son was born , which i dont have .

The only other document i got is a Worker Registration letter from Home Office , which i will send , but dont think it will be enough .

I have posted similar question on here , just wonder if doing a DNA test would make any difference in making a final decision for passport application ?

Oh, just re-read your post , your daughter will be 10 next year , i'm sure i read somewhere that if child lived here for the first 10 years , they can get a British passport .