ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I eligible to apply for EEA Family Permit?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mugfak
Newly Registered

Am I eligible to apply for EEA Family Permit?

Post by mugfak » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:48 am

I apologise if this is in the incorrect section/
My current situation.

I am British, my wife is non EU. We live in Finland because of her work. I am registered here and she holds the 5 year EU family member card. I am unemployed. We wish to visit my family in the UK and I have looked at the process of a Family visit visa, but just wondered if we can instead apply for the EEA Family Permit for visits?

From what I have read, I have to be employed in Finland to do this. Is this really the case? Any advice gratefully received!

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Am I eligible to apply for EEA Family Permit?

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:47 pm

You'd have to move the centre of your life to Finland to use Singh.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:02 pm

Have you read the changes to the forms Amber? Seems the Center of life thing might not be needed if you hold a Family Permit in another EEA state.

Section 5 on the EEA2 form

Please note: if you entered the UK with a valid EEA family permit issued under
the Surinder Singh judgment as the family member of the British citizen named
in section 3, you do not need to complete this section. If this is the case, tick
the box to the right and then go to straight to section 10.

I think the OP would not need a visa to visit UK, his British citizenship would be enough for him and wifes Family permit would be enough for her.
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

mugfak
Newly Registered

Post by mugfak » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:44 pm

Amber wrote:You'd have to move the centre of your life to Finland to use Singh.
What is the definition of this? I live with my wife in Finland and I am registered as part of the population here, but I am not working.

Amber wrote:I think the OP would not need a visa to visit UK, his British citizenship would be enough for him and wifes Family permit would be enough for her.
So, even though I am unemployed, it is possible that we could apply for this? I apologise for the need for clarification it's just that I am in two minds about what is best to do.

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:29 pm

Read my tag line lol

But, you are British so you can come and go as you please. From the original post it looks like your wife has a family permit? so can travel with you aroung the EU without a visa.
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

rosebead
Member of Standing

Post by rosebead » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:31 pm

Under current UK regulations you the British sponsor must be employed or self-employed to be able to sponsor your wife for an EEA Family Permit. You've also got to prove that your "centre of life" is now in your host State - so it is recommended that you live and work in your host State for at least 6 months to stand a good chance of your wife getting an EEA FP, plus you have to prove you "integrated" in the host State such as for example having library or gym membership, or taking language lessons, etc. Your wife's Finnish Residence Card entitles her to travel everywhere in the EU except the UK, as the UK is still refusing to obey the Directive on this matter.

357mag, only the possession of an EEA Family Permit issued by the UK will get the applicant an automatic EEA2 (UK Residence Card). An applicant with a UK-issued EEA FP can skip filling in Section 5 to 9 of the EEA2 application form. However, a Residence Card from your host State does not give you any such privilege at all.