ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can my US citizen son live in the UK with me?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Tommo71
Newly Registered

Can my US citizen son live in the UK with me?

Post by Tommo71 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:03 pm

I am a british citizen and my son (12) is a US citizen, and currently resides in the US. I was recently successful in obtaining his British citizenship (April 2014). I now want to get his British passport, but have been told by the passport office that he needs to be in the UK when applying. He will be flying over in August with the intention of staying with me and attending school in September, and obviously I will be making an appointment with the passport office to get his British passport. My question is, will he have problems entering the UK on a US passport and his British citizenship, if his return flight is booked for December (to visit his mum) obviously this being past the standard 3 month visit period.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Can my US citizen son live in the UK with me?

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:07 pm

He doesn't need to apply in UK, if you went that route he'd have to leave the UK and re-enter on his UK passport, as you cannot switch from a visit visa. It's six months fir visit visa in UK.

Do you have permissions etc from his mother for him to reside in UK?

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y ... /child/usa
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:33 pm

Wanderer wrote:He doesn't need to apply in UK, if you went that route he'd have to leave the UK and re-enter on his UK passport, as you cannot switch from a visit visa. It's six months fir visit visa in UK.
Not to be argumentative, but I can't imagine any scenario where the UK government would require one of its own citizens to leave the country and return on a UK passport! And why would a UK citizen require a visit visa? How would they even qualify for one?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:02 pm

You may either apply for a British Passport abroad or a CoE the latter being generally quicker.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:24 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:He doesn't need to apply in UK, if you went that route he'd have to leave the UK and re-enter on his UK passport, as you cannot switch from a visit visa. It's six months fir visit visa in UK.
Not to be argumentative, but I can't imagine any scenario where the UK government would require one of its own citizens to leave the country and return on a UK passport! And why would a UK citizen require a visit visa? How would they even qualify for one?
First point, maybe not, I just wasn't sure!

Second one surely he would be entering on a US passport, in the absence of a UK one? I dunno if it's possible to enter as a UK citizen without a passport but I'd assumed as he would be 'stamped in' as a US citizen that would be his status?

Note my sig. - perhaps it should say 'IMHO plus misguided interpretation'?!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:32 pm

You can enter the UK on any passport unlike in the US where they expect a US national to enter on a US passport. We have CoE which are placed into foreign passports and satisfy confirmation of nationality and entrance.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:12 pm

Amber wrote:You can enter the UK on any passport unlike in the US where they expect a US national to enter on a US passport.
Even for the U.S., you are only required to have a passport to enter at controlled border crossings, and even then, they cannot ever actually refuse an American citizen entry into the United States. You will be detained for many hours, if need be, to verify your citizenship by any means available. But if you are a citizen who wants in, and this can be verified, passport or not, they have to let you in. There are no punitive measures for entering without a passport (which is strange when considering the rule exists, but so be it.)