ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I have to change from Family Member to Spouse Visa?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Londontown
Newly Registered

Do I have to change from Family Member to Spouse Visa?

Post by Londontown » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:48 pm

Dear all,

I was granted the "Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National" in 2010 with my unmarried partner at the time who was an EU citizen but not a British passport holder. Two years later, my partner was granted a British passport but also retained her original citizenship (dual citizenship). We also got married this year.

My question to the forum members is: Should I now apply for a Spouse visa? Or can I stay on the original visa, which is still valid imo due to the fact that my wife is still a citizen of an EU country? Can I get my permanent residence by staying on this visa until the 5yrs are up?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

LT

Londontown
Newly Registered

Re: Do I have to change from Family Member to Spouse Visa?

Post by Londontown » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Does anyone have any experience of this type of situation?

Many Thanks

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:57 am

As far as I understand you can stay on that resident card and apply for permanent residency as well. I'm just not sure if you would apply under surrinder singh or not as you did not enter the UK while in a relationship with a British Citizen. You may need to prove your partner has been employed for 5 years.
Maybe someone else can help with that.
Moved to Ireland: Feb 13
UK FP: Granted November 13
Ireland RC: Granted Feb 14
Returned to the UK: Feb 14
Applied for EEA2: 18th March 14
EEA2 Rejected: October 14 (re-submitted docs)
EEA2 Granted: December 14 (valid till 2019!)

rosebead
Member of Standing

Post by rosebead » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:16 am

I do know that those who were granted (or applied) for their EEA2 before October 2012 come under transitional arrangements for family members of dual British/EEA nationals. The transitional arrangements allow the old rules (where dual nationality of the sponsor did not matter) to be forever applicable to family members, so these family members with EEA2 could apply for EEA4 under the old rules years after October 2012. This means for the EEA4 application, the British nationality of the dual national sponsor has to be disregarded and cannot legally be used to refuse the applicant.

Londontown
Newly Registered

Post by Londontown » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:05 am

Thank you guys/girls for your replies.

So am I to understand that I can just wait for the EEA2 to run out and then apply for ILR? How long before it expires can I start applying? I was also wondering if I applied for the Spouse visa, then would they calculate my 5 years from the start of the EEA2 visa or would the 5 years start from the beginning (of the Spouse visa)?

Kind regards
LT :)

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:32 pm

You can (and should) stay on the EEA route. Apply for Permanent Residence in 2015, 5 years after the RC issue date.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

Londontown
Newly Registered

Post by Londontown » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:16 pm

Thanks for the advice Jambo. I think this is the best way to go :)