ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the Uk Test or ESSOL ??

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zoomaj
Mood:
United Kingdom

Life in the Uk Test or ESSOL ??

Post by zoomaj » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:21 pm

Hello

sorry if this question has been repeated, my wife already has indefinate leave to remain and i wanted to apply for Naturalision as a Bristish citizinship for her and i was under the impression that my wife could do either life in the UK test, or go to college and do the Essol course and therfore be exempt from the life in the UK test?

however after getting the form for naturilsation it mentions life in the UK test "and either" then the below
✔ I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent
level qualification; OR

✔ I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised
standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:

(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or

(ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country

(other than Canada); OR
✔ I am a national of a majority English speaking country; OR

✔ I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;
OR

✔ I wish to claim exemption on the basis of my physical or mental condition (physical and/or mental illness
may not lead automatically to exemption. You should provide reasons on page 15. Your application may fail
and the fee retained if insufficient reasons for exemption are provided).
Further guidance about the knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement can be found in the Guide and
Booklet AN that accompanies this form. Additional information can also be found on our website.

so my question is does that mean my wife now requires both the Essol pass certificate from college which she has got, is she also now required to do the life in the UK test ?? which she would have to prepare for? or would the Essol certificate be enough?

please let me know my friends wife only did life in the UK test and applied before the Rules changed in Oct 2013 and got the naturilasation.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Life in the Uk Test or ESSOL ??

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Life in the UK and English level B1 is required for naturalisation. It is not an either/or option - it is both.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:58 pm

ESOL must be at level 3 to meet the B1 English requirement. As CR001 has advised, Life in the UK is also required.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:27 pm

Life in UK is mandatory ..

Other Mandatory thingy under Knowledge of Lang is

a. English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification;

OR

b. academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the
recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United
Kingdom and (i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or
researched in English or (ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the
UK or a majority English speaking country other than Canada;

OR

c.are a national of a majority English speaking country.

s1344678

Post by s1344678 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:35 pm

You will need to pass the Life in the UK test
Practice using http://www.lifeintheuktests.com

And Pass the English test also,
Practice using http://www.examenglish.com/