ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is it worth staying in UK ???

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

manindergill

Is it worth staying in UK ???

Post by manindergill » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:04 am

Hi Friends,

I have been here in UK since 2.5 years now, I started at £ 35K and now my salary is £ 37K with the same employer. Even changing the employer is not making it go higher to more than £ 40K. My friends in US are earning USD 100K+ and in India are earning INR 15 L+ with a similar or even less experience than me(my experience is 9+ years in IT Telecomms industry).

I am confused what to do? Am I loosing the IT boom in India. The Telecom market is dull in UK and even the general software market is very little to move.

What to do? People with senior IT experience reply with their views.

Cheers.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:43 am

You can always become a contractor. You'd make that much in half the time, then at least you would have down time.

manindergill

Post by manindergill » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:54 am

SYH,

I am trying for a contractual option for the past 2 months. Employers not ready to offer more than 3 months contracts and I feel making life unstable for a 3 months contract to be very difficult. Although, if I get a 6 months contract is a really good idea. But with a family, I really prefer a permanent job and when I compare earnings on a permanent job basis in other parts of the world, I get very dissapointed.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:30 pm

They always say that and it goes on and on but there are plenty that are offering more than 3 months so I suggest you try other agencies.

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:20 pm

You need to ask yourself what you want. Once you buy a house in UK, sponsor your child(ren) for private school etc. life can be pretty hard here.

Yes, in India you can nowadays easily get 15L+ salary. So, at the end of the day, it's your choice.

sparo
Newly Registered

Post by sparo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:23 pm

hi gill,
i worked in the united states until recently and am thinking exactly the other way the round. i am now planning to start off again in uk.
u said one can get 40k in uk. if u convert that to usd then it is 80k .u said ur friends in usa are gettig 100k etc. but if they are on h1b then they have to pay a meaty cut to the employer (ipaid 35% of gross)and the taxes worked between(30-38%of gross)dependig on the state etc. so on the minimum side u are ending up losing 65% of ur gross 100k and 35k usd is all u get as net per annum. that equals 17.5k GBP per annum.
this is exactly how it worked out for me until recently and hence i am heading back to uk.

findout in advance the actual facts cos a wrong move leaves u disappointed.
hope this is helpul.
cheers
sparo

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:46 pm

Also, isn't it that your spouse cannot work if one is on a H1b? So, if you have a family...your partner would just watch tv all day long and grow horizontally!

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:52 pm

Hmmm..
I have worked in India( 7 years),US(1 year) and UK(2.5 years).

Financially UK is best (considering 1 GBP =2 USD),spouse can work etc..
It is costly as compared to US,but overall good..
But talking abt. life, familiar surroundings, yes you will miss your home country...In India,cost of living is low (40000 Rs =500 GBP per month out going for a good life).

SO choice is yours...I would say stay in UK for 4/5 years or so , once you have made enough(???) money,head back , and then relax for rest of your life(!!!!!)

Ashish

manindergill

Post by manindergill » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:09 pm

Thanks Sakura, Sparo and Ashish,

I feel your advise to be quite helpful.

makon

Post by makon » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:25 pm

I have been here in UK since 2.5 years now, I started at £ 35K and now my salary is £ 37K with the same employer. Even changing the employer is not making it go higher to more than £ 40K.
You can increase your salary from £37 to more than £40k if u have the courage to take the risk. You first have to be good to deserve more than the normal 3% rise employers would offer.

Option 1: Go for jobs offering more than £40k and ask for more. Convince them that you deserve it based on ur skills and experience

Option 2: Refuse to tell the agency or your employer your current salary and ask for what you want cos they'll always based any increment on your present gross

Option 3: Do what I did. Tell the agency sth very close to what you want to earn, BUT do not write down anything on paper. If employer letter sent an application form for you to complete. ignore the salary column.
I was paid a crappy £24k cos i didn't know the market but letter moved from £24k straight to £32.5k. and of course i told d agency verbally that
i was paid £30k at the time.

I know there's a little risk of being caught but the only risk in life is the risk of not taking any risk at all.

manindergill

Post by manindergill » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:35 pm

makon wrote:
Option 3: Do what I did. Tell the agency sth very close to what you want to earn, BUT do not write down anything on paper. If employer letter sent an application form for you to complete. ignore the salary column.
I was paid a crappy £24k cos i didn't know the market but letter moved from £24k straight to £32.5k. and of course i told d agency verbally that
i was paid £30k at the time.

I know there's a little risk of being caught but the only risk in life is the risk of not taking any risk at all.
Is there a salary check done at the time of joining ? Can P-45 be used as a document for salary checks , some say Yes , some say "NO", as if I say I didn;t worked for 1-2 months in that duration. ???

topoftheworld

Post by topoftheworld » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:21 am

Maninder,

Here's what I have done.

I came to UK 3 years ago. I worked as a permanant employee with £46K + £4k (benefits which can be taken in cash) as salary. I quit a year ago. When I left my permanant job, my salary was £67K (I got a promotion and a big raise)

Since then I am contracting.

My wife quite her job 1.5 years ago to have our first baby. So, when started contracting, we had a months old baby, my wife at home. But, I took the "RISK".

My initial contract was only for 3 months. At the end of 3 motnhs, I got an extension for 6 months. Then again for 6 months. (up to Dec 2007).

So far so good. If for some reason, things dont work out in contracting, I can always go back to permanant.

The reason I am sharing this is to encourage people to take risks in life.

As Makon said, the biggest risk in life is not taking any risks at all.

So, I would advise, go contracting. Try to get a 6 months contracts initially, but if not, 3 months is also okay. If they like you and your work, you will mostly get an extension. If not, another contract. And in the worst case, you can go back permanant again.

Choice is yours.

Good Luck.
Last edited by topoftheworld on Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:41 am

HI,

I have a question while Jumping from Permi to Contract..
We have 3 months notice period as Permanent..If i want to do contract and if i get a contract the client is not willing to wait for 3 months(or 2 months if i bargain with my current employee)..So what is the way out??
First resign, then look for a job at the end of 2 month period ?Can some1 throw some light on this issue??

Also i have heard that too many short contracts are not good for your CVs ,as the client think thinks that u were never able to renew your contract..Is this true??

Thanks
Ashish

topoftheworld

Post by topoftheworld » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:14 am

Ashish,

In your case, 3 months notice with your currnt job will surely NOT work out if you want to move to contracting. There are few contracts wait for 4 weeks (1 month notice). So, 3 months is clearly ruled out.

For you options are:

1) Try to find out if the notice period is negotiable. Usually 3 months notice is applicable when you are in a higher position, Senior Manager etc. in which case, it takes more time for the Company to replace the position and/or hand over all the responsibilities associated with the position. So, find out in your case, whether notice period can be shortened if you can hand over your current responsibilities in 3/4 weeks.
Try finding out if you can pay for the rest of your notice period (2 months worth of your salary, may be)

2) Research the contract market throughly and see how much your skills are in demand, then hand over the notice and at the 1.5 months of so, start applying. This is riskier, but will mostly land you a contract if your are skills are in demand in the contracting market.

3) Do nothing. Have a new perspective in life towards money, materials etc. Enjoy your permanant job and try to get promoted. You are probably going pretty good compared many of your peers.
I am sure, you dont want to hear this option. But, worth a shot. :D

Good Luck.
Last edited by topoftheworld on Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topoftheworld

Post by topoftheworld » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:17 am

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:04 pm

Thanks topoftheworld..That was really helpful..

Ashish

manindergill

Post by manindergill » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:47 pm

Yes really helpful , but not many contracts now a days in market :). market slightly dullish.

Another qustion, what affect child study has if one has to move from one location to another.

sjgul

Post by sjgul » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:38 pm

manindergill wrote:
Another qustion, what affect child study has if one has to move from one location to another.
I did some research for primary schooling and found it is not a problem. I feel you need to find it out as per your needs. But I still want to go for a permanent option only as family life goes unstable.

Its like a IAS officer getting transfers every 6 months :))

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:17 pm

Hi,

I have seen ppl. doing contracts travel alone..I mean they ahve a base house which they go on weekend..they stay in Hotel/B&B on working days..

U really cannot move home after every 3 months ,it is not practical..So only option is to be on road for 5 days and come home on weekends..(or get a contract near home!!)

Ashish