ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proving Genuine Relationship - Getting Prepared

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

EveningStar
Newly Registered

Proving Genuine Relationship - Getting Prepared

Post by EveningStar » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:02 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post.

I am in a relationship with a man from Dominican Republic, who I want to bring to the UK, we will be married eventually. To give you some background he also has 3 children that he wishes to live with us in the UK (I think it would be best to bring him first and then the children – providing their Mother lets them come)

We will be trying for a Visitor’s Visa in the not too distant future so that he can come to the UK. We just need to make sure everything is in place, money in his bank, passport etc to minimise the chance of refusal (although I realise this is still high).

I am separated, so will be getting divorced, sorting out house. I currently have a Limited Company that I contact through but I will be taking a permanent job for mortgage reasons and to ensure that I have adequate funds to support him. I should be earing £55,000 to £60,000.

I have read a lot about Visa’s being refused because the relationship was not believed to be genuine. So in the months that we are together and preparing for him to come to the UK I want to gather as much evidence as possible and minimise that chance.

We communicate by Whatsapp and Skype, posting presents etc to Dominican Republic is very expensive £100 a go, as you have to use DHL etc or it doesn’t get there. My boyfriend does not have a laptop (at the moment), so email is not possible. Written communication is therefore a bit thin on the ground, although I can save the whatsapp conversations (but parts would have to be censored!!)

I know we need photos together and photos with both our families, how do we date these (I suppose there is a time stamp if it is not taken on a phone)?

I know to save any plane tickets etc. We recently rented an apartment in the Dominican Republic for a week and the owner met my boyfriend and can confirm that we were there together, not sure where we will stay in the future.

What else should we be doing to help his application, when the time comes?

Many thanks

ES

Rayking

Re: Proving Genuine Relationship - Getting Prepared

Post by Rayking » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:52 pm

You're on the right track with proof of communication but I think you need to know if he comes as a visitor, he's got to go back within 6 months,he wouldn't be able to renew it in uk neither can he work.
If you're planning to marry,is either you get marry in Dominican or you apply for fiance visa which will also be given for 6 months but can be renewed in UK.
Well,I hope you know all this before you actually go ahead?

EveningStar
Newly Registered

Post by EveningStar » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:46 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I know he has to go back within 6 months, I was hoping he may be able to get two separate trips in that 6 month period and I know he can't work. Or would it be better than he stays for one longer period?

The thing is we won't be able to live together continuously before the marriage, as I need to work in the UK and he can't work here so will need to work to DR. Will that be ok?

Yes I do know about Fiance visa.

I was thinking about applying for Irish Citizenship through my Father and using EEA Family Permit, is it easier/better chance to do that?

ES

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:35 pm

If his staying is for you to see each other that's fine,coming twice or having a longer stay doesn't matter as long as he doesn't overstay his visa.
I don't know if I get you right but living together isn't a requirement, all that is required is for you to have met and from your msg it seems you have.
Using EEA family route might not be that easy in that you must have center of your life in that EU for at least a year or so either working or studying and I don't think you wanna do that?
If he's gonna come on a visit,then he has to show that he will be going back and that means he's got to present bulk of documents bank statements, his employment and all that.
If it's fiance then you'll have to provide all that and the major one is meeting the financial requirement of 18600.
But if you think you can meet the condition of EEA by moving center of your life that's a choice too.

EveningStar
Newly Registered

Post by EveningStar » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks Rayking,

Thanks for confirming living togehter isn't a requirement. Yes we have met 3 times, the last time we were together for 5 days in an apartment.

I realised the EEA probably wasn't as good as I originally thought when I read up a bit more and realised I had to exercise my treaty rights :roll: :cry:

There won't be any problem with me meeting the £18,600 financial requirement.

Regarding visit to the UK. I realise it is a bit of a lottery, he has kids so needs to go back for them, but someone else told me it is also a good reason to over-stay and send money home! There is no way he will/can overstay as this will harm any future application. We are thinking it is better is he has the money in his bank account rather than me sponsoring him. So it will take him a while to build that up - I believe he needs $500 (he is in Dominican Republic so quite low) and I know that his bank account mustn't show that I have put the money in for him!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:22 am

Bear in mind that in order to bring two children into the UK in addition to your fiance you would need an annual income of £24,800.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:49 am

Just keep saving 1-2 what's app convos each week. Can you guys Skype on your phones? Maybe a screenshot or 2 of that too. Photos don't need to be dated (well mine weren't), but if you have known each other for sometime it may be clear that they were taken over various periods.

To have his children join you you would also need to ensure you have a big enough property. There are guidelines for how many rooms required depending on age/gender of children.

EveningStar
Newly Registered

Post by EveningStar » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:56 am

Hi SoHopeful,

That is a good idea (lots to censor out though :shock: )

We do Skype sometimes, eats up lots of his internet.

There are 3 kids - all boys (a lot to take on I know). Salary wise I should be on £50,000 to £60,000. I am contracting at the moment, but looking to go permanent for mortgage purposes and Visa purposes. House is 4 bed detached.

When it gets a bit nearer the time I will have to decide if Fiance visa is the best way or get married and Spouse Visa.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:58 am

EveningStar wrote:Hi SoHopeful,

That is a good idea (lots to censor out though :shock: )

We do Skype sometimes, eats up lots of his internet.

There are 3 kids - all boys (a lot to take on I know). Salary wise I should be on £50,000 to £60,000. I am contracting at the moment, but looking to go permanent for mortgage purposes and Visa purposes. House is 4 bed detached.

When it gets a bit nearer the time I will have to decide if Fiance visa is the best way or get married and Spouse Visa.
No need to quit contracting - I'm a contractor (20+ years!) and visa and mortgage have never been issues. Google 'Contractor Mortgages'...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

EveningStar
Newly Registered

Post by EveningStar » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:15 pm

Hi Wanderer,

I don't believe I fulfil the contractor mortgage requirements, beacuse I home schooled my daughter and took time off to get her through here GCSEs, so I don't have to continuous contracts they are looking for, as I have regular gaps 2/3 months.

Thanks

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:56 pm

LOL with regards to the censoring... just a quick screenshot of the date and initial 'hello' should be enough :wink:

EveningStar
Newly Registered

Post by EveningStar » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:34 pm

LOL with regards to the censoring... just a quick screenshot of the date and initial 'hello' should be enough
Phew! Although I can't see how to do that on i-phone, only to backup, which it will keep overwriting :?:

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:38 pm

EveningStar wrote:
LOL with regards to the censoring... just a quick screenshot of the date and initial 'hello' should be enough
Phew! Although I can't see how to do that on i-phone, only to backup, which it will keep overwriting :?:
Press Home and Power button quickly when on the page you want to save - will save it as a photo...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

EveningStar
Newly Registered

Post by EveningStar » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:09 pm

Press Home and Power button quickly when on the page you want to save - will save it as a photo...
If I do that though it just shows "today", "yesterday" and of course I don't get much information. I have emailed the whole whatsapp conv from January 2014 to myself. It is just a text file though - do you think that would be acceptable the format goes;

Date/Time/Name - Comment

For me it has my full name for him just his first name but I guess that is beacuse that is how he is in my contacts.

I supposed a text file could be changed, would they think along those lines?

Its amazing how many times we talk in one day, sometimes :)

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:10 pm

I can't really remember now but try word pad?if you do it on desk or lap top and right click, you should be able to open it with the way it is on your phone,just try each of the format.
You can actually delete or edit "too personal" info b4 you send it to your mail.

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:13 am

I would suggest scrolling back and starting with convos that are now dated rather so perhaps the previous week.