ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Caught between HSMP and H1B...Pls help me

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ramak1983
Newly Registered

Caught between HSMP and H1B...Pls help me

Post by ramak1983 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I got my HSMP approval and getting ready to file for Entry clearance in the next week.

I applied for H1 in this years quota and my case is in Pending status..which means selected in the lottery and waiting for the INS number which is required for attending the H1B visa interview in India.

But my problem is, if I get my Entry Clearance for UK done before I go for H1B visa, will it be a problem when the interviewer sees my passport and asks me why I have applied for UK?

Are there any chances of my H1 rejection due to this? Pls guide me.

At the same time, I can't wait till my H1 is approved as my HSMP approval gets elapsed by October 3rd week and I can't apply for EC.

If any one of you are in the same situation or if u have any inputs or guidance to give me, pls suggest.

Again proud of being a member of this wonderful forum.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks,
Rama Krishna.

gordon

Post by gordon » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:41 pm

But if you get the H1B visa and then go to the UK rather than the US, would that not mean that your doing so would prevent someone else from going to the US ?
AG

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:29 pm

The H1B visa is absolutely useless. It only allows you work for one employer and you are completely at the mercy of your employer in the US. In addition the path to US citizenship from having a H1B visa is not always clear.

The HSMP visa on the other hand offers complete freedom in the UK to work for whoever you want, or even start your own business. Furthermore you are virtually guaranteed of being granted British citizenship after 6 years in the UK.

In addition the UK is generally a far more tolerant, liberal and freer society than the USA.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:32 pm

Dawie wrote:The H1B visa is absolutely useless. It only allows you work for one employer and you are completely at the mercy of your employer in the US. In addition the path to US citizenship from having a H1B visa is not always clear.

The HSMP visa on the other hand offers complete freedom in the UK to work for whoever you want, or even start your own business. Furthermore you are virtually guaranteed of being granted British citizenship after 6 years in the UK.

In addition the UK is generally a far more tolerant, liberal and freer society than the USA.
Really? virtually guaranteed? in what way?

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:33 pm

SYH wrote:
Dawie wrote:The H1B visa is absolutely useless. It only allows you work for one employer and you are completely at the mercy of your employer in the US. In addition the path to US citizenship from having a H1B visa is not always clear.

In a virtual way.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:40 pm

Dawie wrote:
SYH wrote:

In a virtual way.
Very helpful
It is such a strong statment, I thought you could elaborate.
Virtually guaranteed? That's just incredible

bani

Re: Caught between HSMP and H1B...Pls help me

Post by bani » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:15 pm

ramak1983 wrote:Hi everyone,

I got my HSMP approval and getting ready to file for Entry clearance in the next week.

I applied for H1 in this years quota and my case is in Pending status..which means selected in the lottery and waiting for the INS number which is required for attending the H1B visa interview in India.

But my problem is, if I get my Entry Clearance for UK done before I go for H1B visa, will it be a problem when the interviewer sees my passport and asks me why I have applied for UK?

Are there any chances of my H1 rejection due to this? Pls guide me.

At the same time, I can't wait till my H1 is approved as my HSMP approval gets elapsed by October 3rd week and I can't apply for EC.

If any one of you are in the same situation or if u have any inputs or guidance to give me, pls suggest.

Again proud of being a member of this wonderful forum.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks,
Rama Krishna.
How much does the US job appeal to you? Do you like the employer, salary, city where you will work? If it's your first choice, then wait as long as possible for the H1B before applying for EC. It sounds like the UK is just your backup plan.

HSMP does give you a lot of freedom, but it might take you a long time to find a job (especially one that you really want). If you're in an in-demand field, then that is easier. Maybe you should start applying to jobs now from India to find out.

[/u]

ramak1983
Newly Registered

Re:

Post by ramak1983 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:39 am

US job is not a great one as I need to change employers every now and then and all are contract jobs. But the time it takes to get a job in US is less in my skillset(.NET field). Also the consultancy takes care of everything, from accomodation to searching a job for me which s not the case with UK.

But in the UK, getting a job is very difficult as I hear from others in my skillsets too but I know that once I get a job, it is 100 times better than a US job.

In order to get a job in UK, I can't apply for jobs from India as I don't get interview calls and the employers want to see you in person. This means resigning from my current job and moving to UK in search of a job which I think it is risky step.

In a big dilemma what to do...?

And if I don't get the EC done before the end of 2 months from now, I stand to lose the opportunity to move to UK

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:52 pm

It sounds as if you are being body-shopped in the US. Am I correct in assuming a consultancy is applying for your H1B visa and then contracting you out? I would be very wary about this, you could end up being deported.

I am a .NET programmer myself and I can tell you the market here in London is very very good. There is a severe shortage of good .NET developers and if you speak good English, are presentable and have good experience you will have no problem whatsoever getting a .NET job in London. As a .NET contractor with a few years experience you could expect to earn between £25 - £30 per hour.
In order to get a job in UK, I can't apply for jobs from India as I don't get interview calls and the employers want to see you in person. This means resigning from my current job and moving to UK in search of a job which I think it is risky step.
Guess what? That's what 99.9% of us all had to do when we decided to move to the UK. That's the risk you take when you move to a new country. Very few people are lucky enough to get a job offer without meeting their prospective employers in person. You have to move here, get a place to stay and look for a job. That's part of the excitement.

But to put your choice in perspective, I'd rather be jobless in the UK with an HSMP visa and the freedom to work for whoever I wanted to, than be a slave in the USA with a H1B visa and being at the mercy of my employer.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:42 pm

SYH wrote:
Dawie wrote:
SYH wrote:

In a virtual way.
Very helpful
It is such a strong statment, I thought you could elaborate.
Virtually guaranteed? That's just incredible
I think he means in comparison to an H1B Visa. Nothing is gauranteed when it comes to immigration. With the H1B you are at the mercy of the employer, it is up to them to extend your visa and it is up to them to apply/sponsor you for permanent residency, you are also at the mercy of the US Department of State having Visa numbers available. And as far as that goes currently there are no Visa numbers available, some more will come available on 1 Oct however they get used up ver quickly by people who have applied up to 6 years ago.

In comparison HSMP is a much better prospect (unless they change the rules!) You can practically do just about whatever you want.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:49 pm

As a .NET contractor with a few years experience you could expect to earn between £25 - £30 per hour.

I think I should consider a change of job. How do I become one?
Jabi

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:34 am

Hi,

See the following post...All your doubts will be cleared
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=16110

Ashish

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:46 am

bbdivo wrote:
I think he means in comparison to an H1B Visa. Nothing is gauranteed when it comes to immigration. With the H1B you are at the mercy of the employer, it is up to them to extend your visa and it is up to them to apply/sponsor you for permanent residency, you are also at the mercy of the US Department of State having Visa numbers available. And as far as that goes currently there are no Visa numbers available, some more will come available on 1 Oct however they get used up ver quickly by people who have applied up to 6 years ago.

In comparison HSMP is a much better prospect (unless they change the rules!) You can practically do just about whatever you want.
Thanks for the clarification
"It sounds as if you are being body-shopped in the US. Am I correct in assuming a consultancy is applying for your H1B visa and then contracting you out? I would be very wary about this, you could end up being deported. "
Why would he be deported?

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:24 am

SYH wrote:
bbdivo wrote:

"It sounds as if you are being body-shopped in the US. Am I correct in assuming a consultancy is applying for your H1B visa and then contracting you out? I would be very wary about this, you could end up being deported. "
Because body-shopping is illegal.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Dawie wrote:
SYH wrote:
bbdivo wrote:

Because body-shopping is illegal.
It sounds like consulting to me?
but in any case, then the employer is in trouble not the employee