ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help please before my brain explodes!! (visitor marriage)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SirBaron
Newly Registered

Help please before my brain explodes!! (visitor marriage)

Post by SirBaron » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:30 pm

Okay I am literally on the edge of a mental breakdown, so hoping you guys can help before I have a meltdown.

I am a UK national, Germany and English parents, I am engaged to a Japanese woman, and the plan is I am moving to Germany middle of next year.

Now how do I go about, getting married in the UK, then both of us moving to Germany.

From what I understand, which isn't a lot, the plan is she get's a marriage visitors license, we get married, after 5 months we then move to Germany providing we can get a extension on the 3 months.

Sounds simple, but I don't believe it is that simple, or there will be restrictions.

She is 32, I am 30, she has no prior marriages, clean record etc, and will be staying with me and my parents in the house, so we can easily support her, as the house is fairly large etc.

For starters, with the application for marriage visa.
When you apply you’ll need to provide:

a current passport or other valid travel identification
2 passport size colour photographs
evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
They don't do bank statements in Japan, but they do bankbooks, similar, but the ATM prints onto the book it self.

Do payslips and bank statements have to be translated as well? Or is it just stuff like passport etc?

she will be coming late December/Early January, so we will do the application in November, then get her to the application center in Tokyo to do biometrics etc.

The things I am worried about is, if she is accepted (can't really see a reason why she wouldn't be) and she comes to the UK, we get married, and then are we able to move straight to Germany (if we apply for a visa there), or does she have to go straight back to Japan, then go to Germany?

How does it work, if anyone has experience of this, or some good advice, tips, details that I may be missing, or neglected to mention because my head is fried, it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!

SirBaron
Newly Registered

Re: Help please before my brain explodes!! (visitor marriage

Post by SirBaron » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:00 pm

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/re ... dex_en.htm

According to that I can just get a flight to Germany, and she has the same rights as me.

surely it can't be as easy as that?

For those wondering I have places to stay, and lots of family in Germany. So that's not a issue.

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:37 am

Once you are married you are like any other EU citizen with the right of free movement and can travel anywhere around the EU along with your spouse, though she will have to apply for a visa until she gets a family permit.

The rub is getting married, the fiancee visa for UK will cost you £601 at the mo and there are a lot of hurdles to get it such as the financial requirement that you earn more than £18.6k a year. It would probably be easier to marry in Japan then exercise treaty rights to go to Germany, just my opinion (read my tag line).
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:19 pm

A marriage visitor visa is designed, really, for 2 non-eu people to come and get married rather than a British Citizen marrying a non-EU.

The problem you'll have trying to secure the marriage visitor visa is proving that she only intends to visit.

Again - you're right that, in theory, she can travel without a visa to Germany - and (in my experience) the Germans have been some of the best at recognising it - I was actually told it at a german border post once. However, it is still advisable to have a schengen visa before travelling. It's free for the spouse of an EU citizen.

So I would follow the advice of 357mag - look into marrying in Japan - it may well be easier if you can travel (and marry) visa free there.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:23 pm

MPH80 wrote:A marriage visitor visa is designed, really, for 2 non-eu people to come and get married rather than a British Citizen marrying a non-EU.

The problem you'll have trying to secure the marriage visitor visa is proving that she only intends to visit.

Again - you're right that, in theory, she can travel without a visa to Germany - and (in my experience) the Germans have been some of the best at recognising it - I was actually told it at a german border post once. However, it is still advisable to have a schengen visa before travelling. It's free for the spouse of an EU citizen.

So I would follow the advice of 357mag - look into marrying in Japan - it may well be easier if you can travel (and marry) visa free there.

Japanese nationals do not require a visa to enter Germany - whether married or not.

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:37 pm

Correct ALKB, visa free for 90 days and up to 6 months visa free in UK, well spotted.
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:00 pm

ALKB wrote:
MPH80 wrote:A marriage visitor visa is designed, really, for 2 non-eu people to come and get married rather than a British Citizen marrying a non-EU.

Japanese nationals do not require a visa to enter Germany - whether married or not.
You learn something new ...