ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing jobs prior or during an application

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

michaelknight

Changing jobs prior or during an application

Post by michaelknight » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:50 pm

We are planning to apply for a spouse visa at the end of July but my current job is terrible and want to switch. I have collected all the documents required but I am worried if i change employment and they contact my current company it could be an issue in our application.

Staying in my current company for an additional two months could be a real challenge.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated

MPH80
Respected Guru

Re: Changing jobs prior or during an application

Post by MPH80 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:25 pm

If you intend to apply under Category A (having worked at a company for more than 6 months) then changing job just prior will be a problem and you'll have to apply under Category B (current income > £18,600 + income over last 12 months > £18,600) instead - but you'll need to be in the new job prior to application - can you find a new job in 10 days?

Changing job post application shouldn't cause a problem as it *should* be the situation you're in at time of application. BUT if the ECO does the relevant background checks (as we'd expect them to - like looking into the new HMRC RTI system which shows your PAYE tax in near real time) and finds that you're no longer earning with that employer - they may well refuse you and you'd be forced into an appeal.

Now - ask yourself if two more months with the same employer is worth the possibility of an appeal and all the additional time separated that goes with it?

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:25 pm

I did change jobs whilst my husband and I were waiting for the outcome of our application, but it was a gamble and I wouldn't advise it. I was an agency worker at the time so technically although I had handed in my notice to the where I physically worked, I was still an employee with my agency so if ECOs did make enquiries the employment/tax info remained the same until my new job kicked in. If you are moving from a permanent job you won't have that 'loophole' so to speak.

michaelknight

Post by michaelknight » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Im gonna stick with this job then : /

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:08 am

Have you looked at processing times for that paticular country? Will give you an idea of when to start looking elsewhere and something to focus on!

michaelknight

Post by michaelknight » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:42 pm

I have been sacked today! Were in the process of our application and I planned to stay in this company for two-three months and switch job. Now I dont know what to do, I can get another job but how will this look in the application if I switch job?

It might take a month before i have a full time contract and can supply the documents for my wives application :?

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:59 pm

Sorry to hear about that.changing job really doesn't affect your application except the fact that you can't apply under cat A,cat B will be your best bet.
It has no effect as long as you meet the financial requirement and you're employed when you apply.
All you need to do is to explain the fact that it's a new job.

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:21 pm

That's really unfortunate. Well changing jobs is not an issue. As RayKing stated - they just want to see the magic number on the specified documents!