ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Zero Points for Masters - HSMP Refused

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

GGLiddy
Newly Registered

Zero Points for Masters - HSMP Refused

Post by GGLiddy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:58 pm

Hello all,
I was awarded zero points for my Masters based on the fact that my Bachelor degree was in Geology and the Master was in Information Systems.

Does anyone know what I need to do, from an education perspective, to be able to claim points for my Masters degree?

By the way, here is what the refusal letter indicated about my master:
The NARIC states that without a Bachelor's degree in a related subject it is equivalent to a post graduate diploma.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: Zero Points for Masters - HSMP Refused

Post by pantaiema » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:24 pm

Have NARIC to assess your BSc & MSc certificates.
GGLiddy wrote:Hello all,
I was awarded zero points for my Masters based on the fact that my Bachelor degree was in Geology and the Master was in Information Systems.

Does anyone know what I need to do, from an education perspective, to be able to claim points for my Masters degree?

The NARIC states that without a Bachelor's degree in a related subject it is equivalent to a post graduate diploma.

Pantaiema

apeterso925

Post by apeterso925 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:24 pm

That seems incredibly odd. I was approved with a bachelor in psychology and an MBA...and those two aren't really related.

Perhaps you should call the HO and try to speak with your caseworker?
Amy

gordon

Post by gordon » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:41 pm

I don't think all master's degrees are evaluated in the same light, that they must be linked to the prior degree level work. It may just be their evaluation of the MSc in information systems (and maybe only that particular degree in that particular subject at the university where that degree was granted). Instead, I would recommend contacting NARIC about that, since I would expect the caseworker to have taken the NARIC evaluation at face value. AG

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:17 pm

This happened to me and I FEEL your pain, believe me. My undergrad was in anthropology and my masters was in economics, but I had a minor in econ in the first instance so it wasnt like I was completely devoid of knowledge on the subject. They will not listen to an appeal- consider this a flat out no.

What ticked me off was that I found PLENTY of instances of UK further economics masters programs that didnt require a previous degree linked to the same topic. Its frustrating, I know, but there isnt anything you can do about it.

Dont bother having the assessment done- they came back with the exact same excuse that HSMP did. There is the option to appeal your case, but the NARIC people really dont care. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

~J~

Post by ~J~ » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:46 pm

this case has confused me now,

so if i have to claim 35 points for masters degree
do i have to provide my masters degree certificate and my bachelors(dont have)?

because i have done my masters of design and before that i had done graduate diploma in design which was exceptionally accepted by the masters institute...

my masters degree i got assessed by NARIC as comparable to UK taught masters degree
Last edited by ~J~ on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gordon

Post by gordon » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:08 pm

amhilde wrote:This happened to me and I FEEL your pain, believe me. My undergrad was in anthropology and my masters was in economics, but I had a minor in econ in the first instance so it wasnt like I was completely devoid of knowledge on the subject. They will not listen to an appeal- consider this a flat out no.

What ticked me off was that I found PLENTY of instances of UK further economics masters programs that didnt require a previous degree linked to the same topic. Its frustrating, I know, but there isnt anything you can do about it.

Dont bother having the assessment done- they came back with the exact same excuse that HSMP did. There is the option to appeal your case, but the NARIC people really dont care. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Gosh, that sounds dreadful. There's nothing in the guidance notes that inherently suggests that the undergraduate and postgraduate work need to be linked, so I'm not sure I understand what their logic would be. Indeed, citing Amy's example of her own degree work, I would argue that a case can be made in review, since it seems to me that, for the purposes of HSMP, the argument is that one holds the degrees, full stop.

MyHSMPApplication

Post by MyHSMPApplication » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:16 pm

This is really strage.

I have my Bachelors in Commerce with Accountancy Hons and I have my Masters in Information Technology. I have got the NARIC's letter of comparision comparing both to British Bachelors and Masters degree respectively.

I guess it is to do with the requirement of the specific course in the University aswell.

Might be I am wrong

Throw as much light as possible in this case as this will be very interesting

Cheers
Pg

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:01 pm

There must be any other reason. You need to understand that there is an occasion that MSc degree from overseas is not comparable with UK master's degree therefore you will not get point for Master's degree.

If the reason because your Master's degree does not relate to Bachelor degree

HOW ABOUT MBA PROVISION FROM TOP BUSINESS SCHOOL. MANY PEOPLE KNOW THAT MANY MBA GRADUATES DO NOT HAVE BACHELO'RS DEGREE IN BUSINESS/FINANCE, ACCOUNTING ,MANAGEMRNT OR ECONOMICS.

You have seen that many people got MBA degree with first degree in engineering, history, medicine, etc. They still award you point for MBA degree.

IBy the way, here is what the refusal letter indicated about my master:

Pantaiema

roy_rajat

Post by roy_rajat » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:01 am

extremely strange! You should go in for a review for sure but before going in for review just send your masters degree certificate and transcript to NARIC (not the bachelor's one) and see what they say. If they approve it to be equivalent (unless the university you did it from is not in their list) then send in your review application based on folowing points:
a) No where in the guidance it is mentioned that bachelors degree must be related to masters....and then cite few examples of universities in UK who provide a masters in certain subject for which the requirement is bachelors in related subj
b) NARIC certifies masters to be UK equivalent.. fax in the assessment stating that this is not a new evidence but just a corroboration of the fact that my degree is equivalent to UK masters!!!

If naric does not approve your masters as Uk equivalent i dont see any point in review/reapplication as you would be refused each time unless you obtain a different degree or apply only with your bachelors (if that is UK equivalent)

GGLiddy
Newly Registered

Post by GGLiddy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:37 pm

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

I just sent an e-mail to the lawyer who submitted my application, along with some of your comments and the link to this thread.

I certainly hope she can help get this resolved in my favor.

I'll keep you posted on the progress of this issue.