ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adequate maintenance and Income Support

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jem60

Adequate maintenance and Income Support

Post by Jem60 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:46 pm

Sorry if I've already been told this (so stressed with all this, I'm not sure what I've been told. My daughter is exempt from the financial rules due to a disability, and her ONLY source of income is benefits. One of those benefits is Income Support. Can someone please clarify that her husband joining her would not increase the level of income support, as this possibility would mean his application for a spouse visa would be denied? Can you also explain to me why it would not increase. Thank you.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Adequate maintenance and Income Support

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:58 pm

It should not increase, insofar as the claim was joint but the DWP were aware that your partner is subject to immigration control.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Jem60

Post by Jem60 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:14 pm

But I thought it was more about being entitled to more as opposed to actually claiming it? So even if the sponsor didn't claim extra support, the applicant being entitled to it would lead to a refusal. This is what is worrying me.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:19 am

I think it's needless worry. However, there are many people who have to appeal, I suggest you set it out clearly as per the Adequate Maintenance thread.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Jem60

Post by Jem60 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:56 pm

One last question! If adequate maintenance is proved and everything else is good, can the application still be refused if the VO doesn't believe he has realistic chance of a job? Thank you.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:31 pm

No.

Jem60

Post by Jem60 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:43 am

I would like to thank all of you on here who have given advice, particularly Amber, who enabled us to set out my son-in-law's visa application. It has been a long wait, but today he got his visa:). Such a relief for us all. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting.

Jem60

Post by Jem60 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:17 am

Hi
Can someone please help me understand how the benefit system works once my son in law comes to the UK on a settlement visa. My daughter is exempt from the new rules and had to claim adequate maintenance. Now her husband is coming she will lose her income support which apparently will lead to her losing her housing benefit also. The job centre said she can claim ESA but that might take a long time. I am really worried that if her husband doesn't find a job quickly they and the children will not manage. I have also just read that a Tunisian cannot claim working tax credits so they will struggle even if he does find work quickly. I don't understand how it has been accepted that my daughter can adequately maintain him if her benefits will be taken away and if there will be no tax credits. I hope someone can advise me, thank you.