ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR holder to marry non-EU citizen (immigration status)?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

heexists
Newly Registered

ILR holder to marry non-EU citizen (immigration status)?

Post by heexists » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:45 pm

I am an ILR holder and would like to get married non-EU citizen who is currently in the UK studying in University (completing Master`s degree). I have got the following questions:
1. Marrying my girlfriend would she also get ILR or LTR?
2. Would she be able to start permanent full time job being my wife?
3. Would she be able to travel in the European Union with her ILR/LTR status?
4. Do we need to get married in the UK or in the country of her origin?
5. How long does it take to complete this process? Her current student visa expires in February 2015
6. If our marriage needs to be registered in the UK, how do we go about making application?

Another situation:
I due to become British Citizen by December-January. What If I get marry my girlfriend shortly after becoming British Citizen?
Would this route simplify entire process?

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: ILR holder to marry non-EU citizen (immigration status)?

Post by Casa » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:02 pm

1. FLR(M) which is limited leave as a spouse.
2. Yes once the visa has been granted
3. If she currently requires a visa, she will continue to do so until she holds British Citizenship
4. You can marry in the UK
5. A postal application (after marrying) for FLR(M) takes approximately 3 months, or on the same day if applying in person for a premium fee.
6. The marriage will be registered automatically if you marry in the UK.

There's no difference to the procedure or the time scale if you have British Citizenship.

Before applying ensure you have a minimum of £18,600 per annum in earnings. This is mandatory.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

heexists
Newly Registered

Re: ILR holder to marry non-EU citizen (immigration status)?

Post by heexists » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:17 pm

Spot on, Casa! Thanks a million!