ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation - query on time gap & absence calculation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kishor_mit

Naturalisation - query on time gap & absence calculation

Post by kishor_mit » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:37 pm

Hi All,

My spouse and I are due for Naturalisation. I'm within the limit of absence period but my wife has an absence period of 486 days in the last 5 years, out of which 236 days (approx. 8 months) are for maternity reasons.

In both cases the absence days include departure and arrival days (that is how I calculated during my ILR application). For my spouse, even if both days are excluded it becomes 476 days!!

As per the main rule, both are physically present on the date of application 5 years ago.

Please advise whether I can apply for my spouse thinking that maternity absence is acceptable under discretion. If that’s feasible I can apply for my kid (born in India) too along with us. Otherwise I will have to wait until my citizenship is done to apply for both of them!!

Also please advise - should I continue to include both departure and arrival dates in my absence period in my Naturalisation application to keep in sync with the details provided in my ILR application? I’m bit nervous that I didn’t calculate right at the first instance…

Thank you so much for your advice.

Kind Regards

kishor_mit

Re: Naturalisation - query on time gap & absence calculation

Post by kishor_mit » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi,

Could you also advise on the English language requirement?

My spouse has a Bachelor's degree, studied in English medium. The proof of documents are Graduation certificate and a letter from the College (not form the University), confirming that the degree is taught in 'English' as medium of instruction.

If I include the following to the application would that be sufficient to prove the eligibility? LIUK pass certificate, Graduation certificate and the letter from the college.

Regards.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:42 pm

See also, 4.1.2 of Chapter 18B (click).

A UKNARIC statement of comparability would also be required re the degree.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

kishor_mit

Post by kishor_mit » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:00 pm

kishor_mit wrote:Hi All,

My spouse and I are due for Naturalisation. I'm within the limit of absence period but my wife has an absence period of 486 days in the last 5 years, out of which 236 days (approx. 8 months) are for maternity reasons.

In both cases the absence days include departure and arrival days (that is how I calculated during my ILR application). For my spouse, even if both days are excluded it becomes 476 days!!

As per the main rule, both are physically present on the date of application 5 years ago.

Please advise whether I can apply for my spouse thinking that maternity absence is acceptable under discretion. If that’s feasible I can apply for my kid (born in India) too along with us. Otherwise I will have to wait until my citizenship is done to apply for both of them!!

Also please advise - should I continue to include both departure and arrival dates in my absence period in my Naturalisation application to keep in sync with the details provided in my ILR application? I’m bit nervous that I didn’t calculate right at the first instance…

Thank you so much for your advice.

Kind Regards
Thank you amber.

So, my wife can apply (476 days of absence in last 5 years) based on point "4.1.1 Absences totalling 480 (300) days- normally disregard." Do I need to provide any covering letter for the maternity absence (8 months)?

Kindly advise on my application - In my ILR application, for absence period I've included both departure and arrival dates, should I continue to include both days in my Naturalisation application to keep in sync with the details I've provided earlier?
I’m bit nervous that I didn’t calculate right at the first instance…

Appreciate your help.
Last edited by kishor_mit on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:16 am

"Kindly advise on my application - In my ILR application, for absence period I've included both departure and arrival dates, should I continue to include both days in my Naturalisation application to keep in sync with the details I've provided earlier?
I’m bit nervous that I didn’t calculate right at the first instance…"

You didn't have to include these days for your ILR application, and obviously you don't have to include them for naturalization application either. However, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The fact that you included them for ILR was obviously not done to increase your chances of obtaining ILR, therefore it was not material to your obtaining ILR. I would just forget about it and do it the right way now.

kishor_mit

Post by kishor_mit » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks a lot ukswus.

Also, could you advise on my first query, does it require a covering letter for my wife's maternity absence?

kishor_mit

Post by kishor_mit » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:59 pm

Amber wrote:See also, 4.1.2 of Chapter 18B (click).

A UKNARIC statement of comparability would also be required re the degree.
Applied for UKNARIC comparability, awaiting for the letter...

kishor_mit

Post by kishor_mit » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:00 pm

Update - received both Comparability and English language assessment letters for an Indian bachelors degree (3 years) based on the letter from College and original certificates.

Statement of Comparability took 5 working days.
English Language Assessment took 10 working days