ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to open bank account in UK from USA?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

darikusa

How to open bank account in UK from USA?

Post by darikusa » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:21 pm

Hi,

I'd like to know how can one open a bank account in UK from USA? I am currently in USA and would like to transfer funds from US to UK bank account.

I'm waiting on my HSMP application but in the meanwhile would like to know how one can open up a bank account in a UK bank. Also if somebody knows of UK bank branch here in US which might open up a bank account.

Thanks

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:56 pm

Normally it's not being done, i.e. you'd need first to reside in the UK for a bit before opening an account - they even ask for utility bills in your name, and other proofs of your physically tied to an address in the UK.

Some internationally present banks have "premium" services, where they help people relocate - that includes opening a checking account, and perhaps a local line of credit before the person actually moves.

One such bank with branches both in NYC and in London (and in many other cities) is HSBC - they start providing premium services when client's "relationship" with the bank goes over US$100,000. :roll:

VAFamily
Newly Registered

YES, YOU CAN

Post by VAFamily » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:15 pm

Check out the American Embassy pages for the UK - they list several American Banks with branches in London.

We are going to use Cititbank and open an account here for there. Speak to your local branch representative.

-Doc-

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:40 pm

Doc - please let us know after the visit to the bank, how did it go; this would be an interesting experience to share. Thanks!

nutella
Newly Registered

Post by nutella » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:37 pm

Look at HSBC or Barclay's website and look under offshore banking. They have accounts that you can open in US and might help you. Good luck! :D

VAFamily
Newly Registered

Talked to the bank

Post by VAFamily » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:18 pm

The response I got is that you can open an accoutn online or open an account here and then trransfer the funds to a new accountin the UK.

I have not had time to call the UK new accounts branch and discuss what to do next. but will keep everyone updated.

-Doc-

Londonite
Newly Registered

Post by Londonite » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:42 am

darikusa - we were told last year that setting up a UK account while still in the US was now impossible due to the US Patriot act. Even after we landed here fall of last year it was extremely difficult and time consuming setting up a bank account without UK citizenship. We ended up attempting at two banks simultaneously to better our chances. NatWest beat Barclays by a week and a half (three weeks for Natwest and a little over a month for Barclays).

Transfering anything over 10K from the US to your UK bank account will be very difficult as well. We did it, but had to jump through several more hoops at our US Consulate desk in London.

Good luck - Londonite

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:59 am

The Offshore is the best option, and also saves you taxes.
Try barclays offshore or lloyds tsb offshore. They allow you to trasnfer money from the USA to the island of man or jersey, then you earn interest without payiing the UK taxes, it is legal, the concept here is:
as long as you are not permanently resident or citizen your income abroad is tax free, if you don't bring the money into the UK.....so you can keep your money in jersey and have a small amount at your disposal in the Uk.
Barclays www.barclays.com has offshore facilities for foreign nationals, accounts can be in pounds or dollars (your bet) and you can use those accounts to manage your money....
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)