ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Rules for Naturalisation of my non-UK born child

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vizach
Newly Registered

Rules for Naturalisation of my non-UK born child

Post by vizach » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:13 am

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify the rules for Registration for my recently non-UK born child. I am currently working here in the UK on a Tier-2 visa. My wife and my child just arrived here as my dependents.

I would be eligible to get ILR in about 2 years. My wife and child, however, under the new rules won't be eligible to get their ILR.

I have been looking into options for my child. Once I have applied for and gotten British Citizenship, would it be possible to directly "register" my child as a British Citizen?

Some reading on my part suggests it is possible: -

Code: Select all

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/274302/chapter9.pdf
page 42
We should normally expect that:
at least one parent is a British citizen and

the other parent is either settled in the United Kingdom (see Annex
F to Chapter 6); or- 43 -
whilst not settled, is unlikely in the short or medium term to be
returnable to his or her country of origin (eg s/he has been granted
Discretionary Leave), and there is otherwise no reason to think
that the child’s future does not lie in the United Kingdom.
Only doubts I have that whether my wife having her own Tier 2 visa or a dependent visa would work for the above requirements? Also, is it a problem if my child doesn't have ILR?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Rules for Naturalisation of my non-UK born child

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:54 am

You would all need to be settled and at least one parent British or applying for citizenship at the same time.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:07 pm

Amber wrote:You would all need to be settled and at least one parent British or applying for citizenship at the same time.
after 2018 I think , UKBA is stopping ILR.. so what happens then..? even if one parent is British (acquired with 5 yrs Tier 1 visa & 1 Yr ILR ) .. will the kid be able to qualify for citizenship ?? Please let me know ..

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:28 pm

ILR is not stopping for PBS deps where the main applicant is settled.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

vizach
Newly Registered

Post by vizach » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:17 pm

Amber wrote:You would all need to be settled and at least one parent British or applying for citizenship at the same time.
Thanks for your response. What ILR for wife/child is not possible until quite some time because of the 5-year rule? The above linked document suggests that it may be possible for my child without ILR to "register" even if my wife does not have ILR. What do you think? :)

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:07 pm

No.