ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NARIC English Lang Assessment refused

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shahid2000
Member of Standing

NARIC English Lang Assessment refused

Post by shahid2000 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:24 am

Asking this for a friend

Applied for NARIC (ELA) English Language Assessment but got a refusal letter from NARIC saying that even though a medium of instruction certificate has been provided it could not be verified that the level of english was met ......

Has anyone had a similar experience from NARIC? It feels like being conned into paying fees when all the documents needed were provided but still getting a refusal.
Is there anyway we can ask NARIC to reconsider? or reclaim the fees?

PBS calculator gives 10 points for English on the same degree so I don't see why NARIC should refuse it.

shaheen

Re: NARIC English Lang Assessment refused

Post by shaheen » Thu May 08, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi Shahid, do you have a statement of comparability (SoC) from NARIC?

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Post by shahid2000 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:33 pm

shaheen wrote:Hi Shahid, do you have a statement of comparability (SoC) from NARIC?
Yes I have.

shaheen

Post by shaheen » Thu May 08, 2014 2:16 pm

You can send your degree, letter from Uni along with SoC and that should fulfil your language requirements. I was in same scenario and I wrote to homeoffice. you can find more details are at this post

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Post by shahid2000 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:48 pm

shaheen wrote:You can send your degree, letter from Uni along with SoC and that should fulfil your language requirements. I was in same scenario and I wrote to homeoffice. you can find more details are at this post
Thanks for the reply. I read the guidance in the beginning and I completely agree with what you have mentioned in the other post and after reading the guidance etc myself I came to the same conclusion but it seems a bit hit and miss. I saw a couple of posts on the forum where naturalization applications were rejected because they did not have either a B1 test cert or a NARIC ELA (even though they had degree and SoC and medium of instruction). After spending thousands of pounds over the previous years on UKBA fees I thought I would spend another £50 and avoid complications and delays ......... but here I am :)

Is there any way I can ask NARIC to reconsider or may be return my fees because I have provided all the evidence they asked for and they have not given a reason as to "why" C1 criteria is not met.

shaheen

Post by shaheen » Thu May 08, 2014 4:34 pm

I am not sure if they will reconsider or return your fee but give it a try, you can't loose any more. NARIC has given a lot of details about ELA and they do very specific work on it.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu May 08, 2014 4:35 pm

They'll not return fees as they've done what was asked!

Sending the SoC and the ELA with the degree certificate will suffice B1.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

shaheen

Post by shaheen » Thu May 08, 2014 4:44 pm

Original degree certificate and the official letter from University that the degree was taught in English and old SoC will do the job as per my understanding.

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Post by shahid2000 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:46 pm

Amber_ wrote:They'll not return fees as they've done what was asked!

Sending the SoC and the ELA with the degree certificate will suffice B1.
Hi Amber,

I did not get ELA, that is the problem, so what should I do now?
The ELA letter I got says that the degree does not meet C1 level.

shaheen

Post by shaheen » Thu May 08, 2014 4:57 pm

The important point to understand here is that the NARIC only award ELA for C1 not lower or above to this level but for citizenship you only need B1.

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Post by shahid2000 » Thu May 08, 2014 5:03 pm

shaheen wrote:The important point to understand here is that the NARIC only award ELA for C1 not lower or above to this level but for citizenship you only need B1.
Yes I realized that after I got the refusal letter .... a little bit too late. The letter I got does not say anything about B1 so it cannot be used to fulfil B1 either.

Amber has said above the I will need ELA. I read the rules myself and as you have also mentioned ELA should not be necessary. I am confused now because I have always found Amber's advice to be absolutely accurate ... really interested to know which is it or what my options are now.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu May 08, 2014 7:21 pm

The Statement of Compatibility stipulates that the degree is comparable to a UK degree, so the first requirement is satisfied. The second requirement is that the degree is taught in English (not to a C1 level) the ELA although does not confirm the degree satisfies C1 level it stipulates that the degree was taught in English. Therefore, the ELA can be used in lieu of a letter from the institution confirming such. Therefore, as I stated previously, the SoC and ELA with the degree certificate would suffice B1 English in addition to LIUK. This would also be the case for an applicant who has the SoC, a letter from the institution confirming the medium of instruction and the degree certificate. Using the ELA in addition to SoC is just more expensive.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Knowledge_is_Power

Post by Knowledge_is_Power » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:01 pm

According to Form AN Booklet

''You will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification if you have
obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard
of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English;

I got SoC(Statement of Comparability) i.e., my qualification is equivalent to British Bachelor's degree
I received a letter from UK NARIC when I applied for ELA(English Language Assessment) and its statement is:

Level of English Language: The level of English for the above degree doesn't meet the requirements of CEFR level C1.
Additional Info: Although it's confirmed that English is the medium of instruction in the teaching & examination system of the department providing this award, it unfortunately has not been possible to confirm that the necessary English language requirements for CEFR level C1 are met upon completion.

My question is:
Can I use SoC and and this ELA letter to satisfy English Language requirements?

Thanks

ranadawood

Post by ranadawood » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:49 pm

Hi

I applied also for ELA , UK Naric replies me that you don't meet the C1 level but in the additional notes they wrote that "holder of your degree would meet lower CEFR level descriptors , up to and including CEFR B2"

This mean as for as i understand that i don't meet C1 level but B2 (Experts please comments)

when you got letter didn't they mention like this in their additional notes ?

Thanks

Knowledge_is_Power wrote:According to Form AN Booklet

''You will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification if you have
obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard
(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English;

I got SoC(Statement of Comparability) i.e., my qualification is equivalent to British Bachelor's degree
I received a letter from UK NARIC when I applied for ELA(English Language Assessment) and its statement is:

Level of English Language: The level of English for the above degree doesn't meet the requirements of CEFR level C1.
Additional Info: Although it's confirmed that English is the medium of instruction in the teaching & examination system of the department providing this award, it unfortunately has not been possible to confirm that the necessary English language requirements for CEFR level C1 are met upon completion.

My question is:

Thanks

Knowledge_is_Power

Post by Knowledge_is_Power » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:30 pm

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:33 pm

Knowledge_is_Power wrote:According to Form AN Booklet

My question is:

Thanks

Yes, that will satisfy B1 in addition to LIUK.

Knowledge_is_Power

Post by Knowledge_is_Power » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:00 pm

As per Naturalization Booklet (Updated Version September, 2013), I think we just need to obtain confirmation from UK NARIC that our qualification was taught or researched in English. And these levels have nothing to do with us. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... let-an.pdf