ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Swiss visa for Indian on student visitor visa in UK now

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ramprasaath
Newly Registered

Swiss visa for Indian on student visitor visa in UK now

Post by Ramprasaath » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Hi, I am an Indian national currently in the UK for a student internship from 15th July to 15th November. I am on a student visitor C visa. I need to attend a conference in Switzerland for a week in September. May I know f I am eligible to apply for the same in Swiss Embassy in the UK.

Thank you,

Ram

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Re: Swiss visa for Indian on student visitor visa in UK now

Post by flyboy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:59 am

Best to contact the embassy and see what they say as one of the requirements is that "The Residence Permit must be valid for more than 3 months the day you return to the UK"

Ramprasaath
Newly Registered

Post by Ramprasaath » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:10 am

Thank you flaboy. May I know if it is okay to courier my passport to my friend and ask him him to submit the documents to the Swiss consulate of India on my behalf ?

Thank you very much

yk910
Newly Registered

Post by yk910 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:12 am

Email the Swiss embassy in the UK to find out. I have used this email in the past to contact for information rcclondonvisa@eda.admin.ch

Never ever courier your passport from one country to another country. You will have to apply in person.

Donutz

Post by Donutz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:29 pm

I think it would be reasonable for them to accept the application and unreasonable to tell you to apply from the country were you have long term residency and it seems to me it would be unreasonable to tell you to return home.
2.8. Can a consulate accept an application from an applicant not residing in the
jurisdiction of the consulate?

Legal basis: Visa Code, Article 6

As a general rule, only applications from persons who reside legally in the jurisdiction of the
competent consulate (as described in points 2.1-2.5) should be accepted.
However, an application may be accepted from a person legally present – but not residing - in
the jurisdiction of the consulate where the application is submitted, if he can justify why the
application could not be lodged at a consulate in his place of residence. It is for the consulate
to appreciate whether the justification presented by the applicant is acceptable.
"Non-residing applicant" means an applicant who resides elsewhere but is legally present
within the jurisdiction of the consulate where he submits the application.
"Legally present" means that the applicant is entitled to stay temporarily in the jurisdiction on
the basis of the legislation of the third country where he is present either for a short stay or
when he is allowed to stay for a longer period of time while maintaining his permanent
residence in another third country.

(... some examples follow...)

Example: A Russian businessman from Novorossiysk (Russia) has travelled to Moscow
(Russia) for a trade fair. There he meets a Greek business person who invites him to come to
Athens (Greece) straight away in order to establish a contract for a future business
relationship. The Russian businessman wishes to apply for a visa at the Greek consulate in
Moscow because the approximate travel/road distance between Moscow and Novorossiysk is
around 1500 km.
The Greek consulate in Moscow should deal with the application because it would be
excessive to require the person concerned to return to his city of residence to apply for the
visa.

See: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/wh ... dex_en.htm
and then: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/wh ... ted_en.pdf
flyboy wrote:Best to contact the embassy and see what they say as one of the requirements is that "The Residence Permit must be valid for more than 3 months the day you return to the UK"
That some silly stuff, the Schengen rules do not state residence permits should be valdi for X duration upon departing or returning. It does say your passport needs to be valid for atleast 3 months after returning but that's it.

yk910
Newly Registered

Post by yk910 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:56 pm

Donutz

Post by Donutz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:51 pm

I wouldn't trust VFS when it comes down to supplying anything but the most basic information. Complicated or rate questions are better to be adressed directly to the actual authorities or perhaps even a legal expert since embassies make mistakes too.
It's even better to avoid external service providers all together and apply at directly and not through VFS since you are not obligated to do so.

The info by VFS is incorrect: you may apply at an embassy on a short term visa, the embassy would have to see if it would be unreasonable to tell you to apply from a location with long term residency. Just as the info of needing to have a residence card valid for atleast 3 months after departing the Schengen area is made up (worse: by the embassy who certaiy should know better, misinformation by the official external parties or embassy cannot be exused).