ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extending the tier 2 visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Et1234

Extending the tier 2 visa

Post by Et1234 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi, I am preparing to extend my tier 2 visa, my visa expires in 02/16 and my employment starts in 05/13 but I have the permit in 04/13. How do I count the duration of this visa? 2 years 9 months from the commencement of my employment?

Anyway, I am slightly concerned with this extension application since my first application was not a smooth sailing one. I have a few questions:
1. When should I start to apply the extension and when should I advise my current employer to get the COS for me?
2. Would I be required to prepare all the documents as in my previous application again ? I am applying for my dependents as well (wife & 3 children).
3. Will this extension be given to make up at least 5 years for me or I have to request for it? Is there situation where I am give says 2 years then i need to extend for 3 months to make it 5 years (assuming the previous visa covers 2 years 9 months)?
4. Previously I have to use my Phd study to move from tier 4 to tier 2, for this extension do I still need to get letter from my Uni to certify my previous tier 4 status? or it looks at my exsiting tier 2 status?
5. pls advise me anything I need to know for extension application.

Many thanks
Ed

fOOt
Newly Registered

Re: Extending the tier 2 visa

Post by fOOt » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:38 pm

Et1234 wrote:Hi, I am preparing to extend my tier 2 visa, my visa expires in 02/16 and my employment starts in 05/13 but I have the permit in 04/13. How do I count the duration of this visa? 2 years 9 months from the commencement of my employment?

Anyway, I am slightly concerned with this extension application since my first application was not a smooth sailing one. I have a few questions:
1. When should I start to apply the extension and when should I advise my current employer to get the COS for me?
2. Would I be required to prepare all the documents as in my previous application again ? I am applying for my dependents as well (wife & 3 children).
3. Will this extension be given to make up at least 5 years for me or I have to request for it? Is there situation where I am give says 2 years then i need to extend for 3 months to make it 5 years (assuming the previous visa covers 2 years 9 months)?
4. Previously I have to use my Phd study to move from tier 4 to tier 2, for this extension do I still need to get letter from my Uni to certify my previous tier 4 status? or it looks at my exsiting tier 2 status?
5. pls advise me anything I need to know for extension application.

Many thanks
Ed
First of all you dont count the duration of visa the way you did. Your BRP card should say "The place and date of issue" and "valid until date", which would be 3 years + few days.

Now answers to your questions-
1. You can only apply for extension within 3 months of your current visa expiry not before that unless you want to switch categories. You can start asking your employer about if they will sponsor you for extension approx 6-8 months before your visa expires. As this will give you enough time to look for other employment in case your employer declines sponsoring your further.
2. Basic documentation excluding maintenance funds and English proof.
3. Your previous visa was for 3 years and the maximum duration you can stay under Tier 2 is 6 years. So , NO you cant have a 5 years visa now. You can get another 3 years, that will add up to your total stay of 5 years and thus allow you to apply for ILR.
4. No
5. Hope it helped

Et1234

Re: Extending the tier 2 visa

Post by Et1234 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Thanks for your reply, fOOt.
The date of issued is 26/04/13 and expires on 24/02/16 - so if I have calculated correctly, it is 2 years and 10 months. So I need 2 years 2 months to make it a total of 5 years for ILR. I just afraid UKBA would give me odd duration like this one that I may need another extension to make it up to a total of 5 years for ILR purpose.
Have you heard any cases like this??

Can you advise me the right link and documents for this extension application? I found the gov.uk website less definitive compared to the previous UKBA website.

Thanks