ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Using Surinder Singh via Germany to get my parents to UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Indigo14x
Newly Registered

Using Surinder Singh via Germany to get my parents to UK

Post by Indigo14x » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:58 pm

Hello,

I am a naturalized British citizen. I moved to Germany early June 2014 with the sole intention of bringing my parents over to the UK in November after getting them to live with me in Germany for about 3 months.
The problem I am facing is that, due to language issues, I am yet to find a job in Germany. I have email evidence to show that I have been actively looking for work here from before I moved here. I am also thinking of registering here as self-employed/freelancer. But whether I will earn even a cent is anybody's guess.
I am taking German language courses and hope to do some volunteering soon too.
Will this suffice to prove transfer of "Centre of Life"? Will I have exercised Treaty Rights even though I have not worked in Germany?
I am currently living off my savings.
Any pointers and comments with references to current immigration legislation would be helpful.
As you can imagine, moving to a foreign country without knowing the language is stressful enough. Not having a job is unimaginable. I would not want all this effort to go in vain.
Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Using Surinder Singh via Germany to get my parents to UK

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:38 pm

I was reading the centre of life thing means 12 months at least....

I think self sufficiency is exercising a treaty right though.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Indigo14x
Newly Registered

Post by Indigo14x » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks, Wanderer.

But does it explicitly say in the Regulations that Centre of Life transfer has to be for 12 months? It is my understanding that there is no set time period.

To All Forum Members, please correct me if I am wrong.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:34 pm

There isn't a fixed timeframe - but given the previous advice was 3 months and it's now been made harder - the general consensus was that 6-12 months is the minimum that would be considered acceptable by UKBA.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:09 pm

It's basically been realigned to try and stop what your trying to do which could be interpreted as a way to circumvent the (UK) immigration rules. (sorry - nothing personal!)

It's fair enough I suppose, the rules are in place to help ex-pats with non-EU wives to obtain entry, it's maybe also fair to say the Surinder Singh rule is unnecessary and indeed unfair, since it doesn't stop people retuning to UK, and it disadvantages UK settled people who have to pay and cant benefit from the free route.

Just my opinion, I considered using it once early days!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:35 am

Surinder Singh route requires employment.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:21 am

My tupenn'orth-Given that you mentioned that you are having issues with the language and with getting a job due to those issues, would it not be easier to exercise treaty rights in Ireland?

st2447

Post by st2447 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:00 am

I would also suggest Ireland. There still isn't a time frame if you can demonstrate that you transferred your center of life. I lived in Ireland for less than 3.5 months and got my EEA2.
Surinder Singh
Arrived in Ireland with Pakistani Spouse: 27 Jan 2014
Returned to the UK with Spouse without Family Permit: 7 May 2014
Applied EEA2: 8 June 2014
Received COA with right to work: 19 June 2014
Received UK Residence Card: 30 July 2014

rosebead
Member of Standing

Post by rosebead » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:15 pm

I know of two people who did the SS route in Germany after the centre of life rule change and got EEA Family Permit after just 4 months and 5 months in Germany respectively. I know of several people in other host States who also got EEA FP after 4-6 months even with the COL rule change.

fabiopguk
Newly Registered

Post by fabiopguk » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:37 am

rosebead wrote:I know of two people who did the SS route in Germany after the centre of life rule change and got EEA Family Permit after just 4 months and 5 months in Germany respectively. I know of several people in other host States who also got EEA FP after 4-6 months even with the COL rule change.
Hi rosebead,

I was wondering if you know how these people proved their integration into the community to get their EAA FP in Germany.

I am about to apply for an EEA FP via Surinder Singh and although I have been living here with my wife for a little over two years and working from day one, I am wondering how I can prove the integration, as it is very subjective...

Cheers,
Fabio