ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP case worker document for PGD (Post - Graduate Diploma)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

riskcapital
Newly Registered

HSMP case worker document for PGD (Post - Graduate Diploma)

Post by riskcapital » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:12 pm

In HSMP case worker guidlines document PGD is pretty vauge they have given 2 consideration once equal to Degree and second equal to Masters

My question is I did a mba from Pakistan equal to UK under - graduate

then I did a Post - graduate diploma in Finance ( without a thesis)

is it equal to Masters or Not ....

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Is common sense prevail in this case

Post by pantaiema » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:58 pm

You said MBA in Pakistan = UK Bachelor's
In the UK PGD is considered lower that master's. In your home country Pakistan, PGD must also be lower than master's as you said PDG= Master's - Thesis.

How come PGG is considered = Master's
Is common sense prevail in this case :roll: :roll: :roll:
riskcapital wrote:In HSMP case worker guidlines document PGD is pretty vauge they have given 2 consideration once equal to Degree and second equal to Masters

Pantaiema

riskcapital
Newly Registered

Post by riskcapital » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:27 am

No i meant my PGD is from UK ... then ..
sorry didnt mentioned...

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:56 pm

Who awarded the post graduate diploma? Was it a university or college, if so is it on the DfES' (now not DfES but still same web address) lists that you can find here

If not, is it on the National Database of Accredited Qualifications? Then you could check what level it is on the National Qualifications Framework for England, Northern Ireland and Wales. Scotland has a separate framework which I can't find easily at the moment.

I thought that recognised UK post graduate diplomas are equivalent to masters degrees, even though they are different, they are at the same level in the National Qualifications Framework.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:20 pm

PGD = Masters - Dissertation
I am 100% sure, it will not be considered = Master's degree. I am sorry U probably did not want to hear about this, but I need to tell U the truth.

riskcapital wrote:No i meant my PGD is from UK ... then ..
sorry didnt mentioned...
Pantaiema

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: HSMP case worker document for PGD (Post - Graduate Diplo

Post by sakura » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:08 am

riskcapital wrote:In HSMP case worker guidlines document PGD is pretty vauge they have given 2 consideration once equal to Degree and second equal to Masters

I can tell you 100% that a post-graduate diploma is NOT equivalent to a master's degree. It is ABD - all but dissertation, and is considered lower for two reasons; 1. there is no individual work (thesis) as there is for almost all master's, and 2. it is normally only 9 months rather than the master's 12 months. So you can't claim points for a master's because you don't have one!

Your degrees....might only be considered as an undergraduate or the MBA if it is recognised as such in the UK system. But you cannot claim any points for a master's, only undergraduate (and possibly the mba if it counts).