ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling on Indian passport after naturalisation

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

abig234
Newly Registered

Travelling on Indian passport after naturalisation

Post by abig234 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Hello.

I am about to apply for British passport but I also need to travel to India. I understand Indian govt allows people to travel on Indian passport as long as the passport is surrendered within 90 days from Ceremony date.

But I just would like to understand if I apply for British Passport before travel and receive my British Passport before travel.... Will my existing Visa (i.e. PR Visa on Indian passport) be still valid for me to travel to the India and then re-enter into the UK. Do homeoffice cancel my existing visa after granting british passport?

This is because I may have time to apply for british passport before travel but do not have enough time to surrender Indian passport and apply for OCI. This is something I have to do only on my return.

And so I wanted to know if I should apply and get British passport before travel, but can still travel and be back on old PR Visa.

Please advise.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:42 pm

If you have a British passport why not use that to enter UK and Indian passport to enter/exit India. That's common practice for dual nationals.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:01 am

this is not a British Citizenship question:

indian govt does allow grace period of 3 months for the surrender of indian passport but that doesn't mean you are allowed to use indian passport during that grace period. each travel will incur penalty.

you indian passport and PR will remain valid and technically you can use that to enter and leave india - no one will question that - however once you surrender your indian passport all entry/exit stamps will be verified before they issue you formal surrender ceriticate.

if you don't have time to apply for OCI, best bet would be surrender the passport and then apply for tourist visa.

ps: india doesn't recognise dual citizenship

abig234
Newly Registered

Post by abig234 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:35 am

Thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it.

But, I was reading an article and it is mentioned as "A grace period of three months is permitted from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship and no penalty will be applied for travel using the Indian passport within three months of acquisition of foreign passport. However, once this grace period has passed the penalties for ignoring the need for Indian passport surrender will be applied. These include imprisonment of up to 5 years and a fine of up to $1250 USD. Traveling to India on an Indian passport can incur a fine of $250 per travel up to a maximum of $1250 USD."

This means I should be able to use Indian passport for travel? Isn't it?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:42 pm

hi - just want to update the previously stated information - the grace period "does" allow travel on indian pp. so yes, your observation was correct.

3. A grace period of three months is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship, for the purpose of travel on Indian passport. Therefore, no penalty will be leviable for travel on Indian passport within three months of acquisition of foreign passport.

umittal
Newly Registered

Re: Travelling on Indian passport after naturalisation

Post by umittal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi Friends

I am on ILR and going to apply for Naturalization at council office in Swindon on 28th July(4 days from now). I will need to travel to India in Sept 2014 for a week.

Looking at Naturalization waiting times I don't think I will have my Naturalization certificate by then as its taking 2-3 months.

Now my question is

A) If my certificate is not there by then am I subjected to any restriction because I have made the application?
B) If my certificate do arrive by then what is the procedure I should follow for traveling to India?
C) I have gone through the procedure discussed to travel in this forum but all concerned had BP. In case you only have NC and not BP and are within 3 months of NC what procedure should be followed?
D) Is ILR valid after NC?
E) From when Grace period is calculated? i.e When you make your NC application or the day you receive your NC after ceremony?
F) How long it takes to get BP after NC?

Regards
umittal

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:29 pm

umittal wrote:Hi Friends

I am on ILR and going to apply for Naturalization at council office in Swindon on 28th July(4 days from now). I will need to travel to India in Sept 2014 for a week.

Looking at Naturalization waiting times I don't think I will have my Naturalization certificate by then as its taking 2-3 months.

Now my question is

A) If my certificate is not there by then am I subjected to any restriction because I have made the application?
B) If my certificate do arrive by then what is the procedure I should follow for traveling to India?
C) I have gone through the procedure discussed to travel in this forum but all concerned had BP. In case you only have NC and not BP and are within 3 months of NC what procedure should be followed?
E) From when Grace period is calculated? i.e When you make your NC application or the day you receive your NC after ceremony?

Regards
umittal
Please don't post same question in multiple threads.

You are permitted to travel on Indian passport as an Indian citizen upto 3 months from the date you attend the citizenship ceremony. All your questions have answers in this form or in the British Citizenship section. Take your time to review these sections.

Also see --> http://www.immigrationboards.com/other- ... 41754.html

umittal
Newly Registered

Post by umittal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi ban.s

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have reviewed some of the sections and gathered some info. Based on that I am going to attempt to answer my questions below.

Please correct if I have misunderstood something

Ans) No restriction apply it only starts after the day I get my NC ?

Ans) Same as before... I can still use my Indian passport + ILR at Heathrow ?

Ans) Can use Indian Passport + ILR at heathrow ?
Ans) Yes ?
Ans) From ceremony date
Ans) Don't know yet

Can you please clear the point regrading ILR validity after NC?

Regards
umittal

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:51 pm

umittal wrote:Hi ban.s

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have reviewed some of the sections and gathered some info. Based on that I am going to attempt to answer my questions below.

Please correct if I have misunderstood something

Ans) No restriction apply it only starts after the day I get my NC ?

Ans) Same as before... I can still use my Indian passport + ILR at Heathrow ?

Ans) Can use Indian Passport + ILR at heathrow ?
Ans) Yes ?
A, B, C, D: yes, yes, yes, yes.
ILR doesn't become invalid on its own. After naturalisation it just becomes irrelevant for practical purposes. Just also carry the naturalisation certificate if it arrives on time.

umittal
Newly Registered

Post by umittal » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Thanks a lot for your help :)

keerthi

Post by keerthi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:08 pm

Hi,

My situation will be like this with in next 2 weeks, due to the passport delays, where I will not have time to apply for Surrender Cert and Visa which will take atleast 8 working days.

I understand that

1. Exit and Entry to UK - British Passport

2. Entry and Exit from India - Indian Passport

Please can someone clarify what nationality should I mention in the British Airways website - Passenger information - Should it be British or Indian.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Keerthi

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:26 pm

I presume you have ILR - either in old vignette format in the passport or as a BRP.

use your indian passport/ILR for departure from UK, arrival in india, departure from India.

as you'll be using Indian passport for travel, so nationality is Indian.

after you have returned and landed in the UK airport, then only use your British passport for exit. You can use e-border gates - just swipe the biometric passport and exit.

keerthi

Post by keerthi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:52 pm

Thanks ban.S, this is very clear.

Regards,
Keerthi

antouk

Post by antouk » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:32 pm

I did the same, just got back from India.

@ban.s : I might have to pay penalty form my kids(their naturlization dates are far earlier than ours). You have any idea how they collect the penalty amount?
-HSMP(2008)->Tier 1(2009)->ILR(2013)->Naturalisation(2014)->OCI(2014)-

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Penatly is collected through VFS and is payable prior to the issue of surrender certificate.

antouk

Post by antouk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:40 am

ban.s wrote:Penatly is collected through VFS and is payable prior to the issue of surrender certificate.
Oh sorry forgot to mention, i am doing a postal application. So will VFS contact me for the penalty money?
-HSMP(2008)->Tier 1(2009)->ILR(2013)->Naturalisation(2014)->OCI(2014)-