ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Recently got ILR and applying benefits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

allwell46
United Kingdom

Recently got ILR and applying benefits

Post by allwell46 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Dear all

I have recently got ilr on 10 years basis in this month, i was on tier 1 general main applicant. Wife's flr m application is still pending applied before 6 apr 2014 and hoping to get two years visa (as she is pbs dependant prior to 09 july 2012 and applied for flr m before 06 apr 2014) and then planning to apply for set m (ilr) over the counter.

I hv got two uk born children under 5, applied for their registration as British citizens under section 1(3) couple of days ago. They have foreign country passport but never travel abroad since birth.

In my sanario, am I eligible and can I apply for child benefits, child tax credits, working tax credits, housing benefits etc etc

I dont want to effect my wife's flr m and set m application.

Please guide

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Recently got ILR and applying benefits

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:28 pm

You apply for child benefit in your name, tax credits in joint names, I'd leave HB for now.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

allwell46
United Kingdom

Post by allwell46 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:58 pm

Dear amber

Thank you for your reply,

Do you mean to say i am eligible and can apply for cb and tax credit and it will not be creating any problem to my mrs flr m and future set m application.

1. I beleive i will be the claimer so i shud apply cb and get them paid into my account.
2. I beleive i will be the claimer but i shud apply child or working tax credit on joint names but get them paid into my account.

Plz correct me if the above plan is okay.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:35 pm

Need, doesn't matter whose account they're paid into.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

khanzada123

Post by khanzada123 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:04 pm

Hi Amber I need your advise plz:
I got my ILR and Wife got FLR (M) 2.5 years bcoz of rule changed on 6th Of April.I got two kids both born in uk and hhave already applied for Naturalization alrwady via NCS.My question is that once I get my kids British Passports can I apply for housing benefits, working tax credit, child benefit keep in mind my wife is under immigration control means cannot apply any thing for 5 years and I dont want to affect her visa in the future .Please guide me all of the above and also explain whether should I apply on my name or joint.
Many many thanks for your help.

nadeem toheed

Post by nadeem toheed » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:04 pm

khanzada123 wrote:Hi Amber I need your advise plz:
I got my ILR and Wife got FLR (M) 2.5 years bcoz of rule changed on 6th Of April.I got two kids both born in uk and hhave already applied for Naturalization alrwady via NCS.My question is that once I get my kids British Passports can I apply for housing benefits, working tax credit, child benefit keep in mind my wife is under immigration control means cannot apply any thing for 5 years and I dont want to affect her visa in the future .Please guide me all of the above and also explain whether should I apply on my name or joint.
Many many thanks for your help.
Hi dear,
i give you first hand information because i went to home office for my wife ILR on SET(m) and i had a chance to chat with case worker (as they were not ready to grant ILR and according to their point of view, we didn't complete 2 years on FLR(m) , they were insist to come on next year when we complete 2 years on spouse visa(later on Home office grant ILR on same day) , so i took the opportunity and ask the case worker as i was taking CB,CTX and WTC so she said its fine as long as i m claiming these benefits not my partner so
Cut the story short , if you claim child benefits on your name and working tax credit and child tax credit on joint names than there is no issue (i would say, avoid Housing benefits if you can)
Nadeem

khanzada123

Post by khanzada123 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks...but why not housing benefit my two kids are british and I have got ILR. ....only my wife cannot take any benefits. ....

nadeem toheed

Post by nadeem toheed » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:27 pm

khanzada123 wrote:Thanks...but why not housing benefit my two kids are british and I have got ILR. ....only my wife cannot take any benefits. ....
Hi dear,
what i know, there is no harm to get housing on single parent BUT
Housing deptt has not enough knowledge of immigration rules so they normally include your spouse in the application as she is living with you in the property and made the full calculation on it even though you tell them everything about your wife status (No recourse to pubic fund)
But all the senior members try to avoid the situation (Miss calculation of housing benefits including the spouse which is no recourse )
Senior member can tell more on this situation
Nadeem

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:37 pm

There's a long running issue with HB as some councils give a couple applicable amount, which may be considered as a breach of immigration restrictions as per the Yarde case.

khanzada123

Post by khanzada123 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:13 pm

But if I mention to them that I am applying for myself and 2 kids on my behalf not on my wife behalf and will vontribute my wife rent.

khanzada123

Post by khanzada123 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:18 pm

Do I need to apply the above on my name or joint names.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:56 pm

It needs to be in joint names but only have a single person/lone parent applicable amount.

khanzada123

Post by khanzada123 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:40 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply......if I show that I am earning 18600/ which is the requirement and apply for HB-CTC-CB-WTC----will it be ok.

nadeem toheed

Post by nadeem toheed » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:17 pm

khanzada123 wrote:Thanks a lot for your reply......if I show that I am earning 18600/ which is the requirement and apply for HB-CTC-CB-WTC----will it be ok.
Hi
Check this please

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Thanks

khanzada123

Post by khanzada123 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:49 am

Thanks...why I have to apply the above on joint name...can I apply on my name alone bcoz my wife is not eligible for benefits for 5 years....Is it compulsory to apply on joint names plz advise...many many thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:50 am

It is compulsory, yes.

khanzada123

Post by khanzada123 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:36 pm

Many many thanks Amber.......

khanzada123

Post by khanzada123 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:10 pm

One thing more Amber do I need to provide Joint Account details or can I give my Account details....

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:50 pm

For payment, just yours. For capital, both.

khanzada123

Post by khanzada123 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:12 pm

Sorry Amber couldnt get the other sentence for capital both.....what do mean by that would you it be possible to explain a bit......Thanks

nadeem toheed

Post by nadeem toheed » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:02 pm

khanzada123 wrote:Sorry Amber couldnt get the other sentence for capital both.....what do mean by that would you it be possible to explain a bit......Thanks
Hi
You and your partners bank accounts

khanzada123

Post by khanzada123 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:58 am

Guys do you know how to apply Working tax credit...child tax credit.....child benefit.......what is the difference between child benefit and child tax credit .....plz explain..