ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family permit for tourism

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

BrusselsSprout
Newly Registered

EEA family permit for tourism

Post by BrusselsSprout » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi,

My wife is a non-EU national and we live in Ireland. She holds an Irish residence card (called a GNIB Card here) as she is the spouse of an EU national (EU treaty rights).

We would like to travel to the UK for some holidays but I was wondering if the EEA family permit can be used for tourism purpose or if that is only a VISA to apply for if we would like to move to the UK (stepping stone to the residence card). I did not especially say if one could apply without planning to live there. All it seems to say is that "An EEA family permit is valid for six months. You can leave and enter the UK as many times as you need within that time."
If we cannot use the EEA Family permit, doest that mean that my spouse must apply for a General Visitor VISA (https://www.gov.uk/general-visit-visa)?

Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: EEA family permit for tourism

Post by Wanderer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:35 pm

In theory, no, in practice, better if you do due to officials not knowing the finer points of the EC directives resulting in strife all the way for you all...

Or. take the ferry - there are no passport checks at all and legally you are squeaky clean so not breaking any laws.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....