ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is a failed asylum seeker allowed to do voluntary work?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

linzm
Newly Registered

Is a failed asylum seeker allowed to do voluntary work?

Post by linzm » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:33 pm

Hi,
Is anyone able to confirm whether a failed asylum seeker is allowed to do voluntary work? My partner is in this situation, he loves the voluntary work he does, but I am worried incase it causes any problems? He volunteers with a couple of different organisations and they are fully aware of his situation.
Thanks.

jimquk
United Kingdom

Post by jimquk » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:49 pm

I don't see why being failed should alter his situation. After a load of dithering, it was eventually clarified that those refused permission to work (ie. most AS, whether refused or not) were still allowed to do voluntary work. I think voluntary work is defined as any activity which is not substituting for paid work - so "volunteering" at a mate's takeaway wouldn't count.
The Refused are coming day-by-day nearer to freedom.

linzm
Newly Registered

Post by linzm » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:19 pm

Hi jimquk,
thanks for the info!

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Is a failed asylum seeker allowed to do voluntary work?

Post by sakura » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:49 pm

linzm wrote:Hi,
Is anyone able to confirm whether a failed asylum seeker is allowed to do voluntary work? My partner is in this situation, he loves the voluntary work he does, but I am worried incase it causes any problems? He volunteers with a couple of different organisations and they are fully aware of his situation.
Thanks.
Well, actually, if you don't have any valid leave to remain, then you cannot undertake any type of work - paid or unpaid. Remember people do need visas even for voluntary work/internships, and of course working is working, whether or not there is mutual remuneration involved.

Technically he should leave the country as he has no valid leave. So, since he has no valid leave, he has no right to work - in any type of category. Asylum seekers with a pending application, obviously, have valid leave to remain whilst their case is considered, which is why they can do voluntary work.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

jimquk
United Kingdom

Post by jimquk » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:20 pm

Sakura wrote:
Technically he should leave the country as he has no valid leave. So, since he has no valid leave, he has no right to work - in any type of category. Asylum seekers with a pending application, obviously, have valid leave to remain whilst their case is considered, which is why they can do voluntary work.
Yes, but until removal directions are issued, doesn't the person remain on temporary admission? They continue signing, in theory at lest, and the IS96 which details (from recollection) "no work paid or unpaid" remains the same.
So I think that being refused does not in itself change the situation.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:00 am

jimquk wrote:Sakura wrote:
Yes, but until removal directions are issued, doesn't the person remain on temporary admission? They continue signing, in theory at lest, and the IS96 which details (from recollection) "no work paid or unpaid" remains the same.
So I think that being refused does not in itself change the situation.
Well if it states "no work paid or unpaid" then it includes not working on a voluntary basis. So, the answer would still be 'no', if that is the statement on the IS96 form.

jimquk
United Kingdom

Post by jimquk » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:35 am