ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship for child now or later

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cen
Newly Registered

British citizenship for child now or later

Post by cen » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:29 am

Hi all, my husband and I got our British citizenship through naturalisation. We have recently moved back to South Africa and are now expecting our second child. If I understand correctly, I can apply for a British passport for my newborn but she will be British other than by descent. I am wondering if it would be better to wait until we go back to England in about 12 years time as I want them to do their tertiary education in England. If I wait then she could register as a citizen after 3 years of being in the country and get British citizenship other than by descent. Any advice? Thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: British citizenship for child now or later

Post by Amber » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:11 pm

If the child is born abroad, the child will be British by descent. The child can't be registered at a later day as the child will be British. If the child was born in the UK, the child would be British otherwise than by descent.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:06 pm

If you are (naturalised) British when your child is born, then the child is British from birth. No need to register. If born abroad, the child will be by decent. You can't change this status after birth. Registration after 3 years residence is for children who are not British from birth. This is not your case.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

cen
Newly Registered

Post by cen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:36 am

Thanks for the clarification. My last question is then...what requirements would my newborn have to go through for her child to get a British passport? Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:11 pm

(Based on current legislation).

Either the child (your grandchild) will be born in the UK (other than by decent) or your child will spend 3 years in the UK before the child birth and the child born abroad will be British by decent.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)