ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

refused entry into the uk please please help !

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lisa71
Newly Registered

refused entry into the uk please please help !

Post by lisa71 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:08 pm

I would be most appreciative if someone could offer any assistance please.
I am very very upset and traumatised so i could do without harsh comments...
Im in paris at the moment, i was refused entry into the uk from the paris based end of the eurostar (train from paris to london) . on the basis that i was entering with my boyfriend he is english, i said to the officer i wanted to stay 3 months and he took my boyfrind aside and he said 5 months. this is something that we were undecided on, and so what, 3 to 5 months, but because i had been to england several times in the past few years (only for 1-3 weeks at a time) i was refused cos the 'story' didnt add up with the months descrepency.
I now have a refusal of entry stamp in my passport.
i asked the immigration officer what were my rights options and he said i could go to the british consulate in paris to consider applying for a visitor entry visa,. essentailly i am assessed and a permit is given for me to visit , or not, as the case may be.
I am free to move around paris / europe I just cant get into england. he said sometimes the british consulate let u apply from here but sometimes you have to go home to do that (australia).
i have enough funds for a few weeks here but this is not where i want to be ! my partner was going to support me.
i wonder if i should request a months entry permit which would be better than going straight home and i wonder if this is even possible ?
at this point I would be happy with a few weeks at least but I dont know if this visitor permit is available for a short amount of time.
i have organised a few months off work and put a tenant in my house so Im in absolute shock this has happened.
if anyone has any ideas please for the love of god reply.
good luck to EVERYONE on this sometimes very stressful journey.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:12 pm

Just apply from Paris, its a shame it happened, especially if you are australian, I mean you are with the commonwealth for goodness sake.

lisa71
Newly Registered

Post by lisa71 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:42 pm

yes absolutely ridiculous, thanks for taking the time to reply.
ive calmed down just a fraction....
anyone with info please please help

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:50 pm

Its funny, not ha ha, but I was in Paris today and thinking whether to stay longer, if I stuck around, I would have let you sleep on the couch of my friend's flat for a couple days to sort yourself out. anyway, just apply from there but maybe coordinate with your boyfriend tomorrow to see what he has learned needs to be done.
It would help to explain your situation age, profession, student, how you are able to sustain yourself. perhaps you should consider getting a working holiday visa, although you'd probably have to go back to australia to get it.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:35 am

SYH wrote:Just apply from Paris, its a shame it happened, especially if you are australian, I mean you are with the commonwealth for goodness sake.
What does being in the Commonwealth have to do with it?

From what I read - your visit didn't sound like a 'visit' but more a chance to clock up some stay with your partner to secure a visa. A 3 or 5 month holiday? If there was little evidence that you'd return, then they will refuse you entry.

You might be able to apply from France; I don't know whether they state from any British embassy/high commission or from your home embassy/high commission.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:38 am

sakura wrote:
SYH wrote:Just apply from Paris, its a shame it happened, especially if you are australian, I mean you are with the commonwealth for goodness sake.
What does being in the Commonwealth have to do with it?
It means from the UK perspective, they don't need a visa because they have ties and not as critical when people like to visit for long periods of time.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:58 am

But plenty of Commonwealth citizens do need a visa to visit the UK (although not Australians).

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:04 am

Christophe wrote:But plenty of Commonwealth citizens do need a visa to visit the UK (although not Australians).
Yeah so what is your point, she doesn't and that was my point.
Say something meaningful or helpful. man

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:26 am

SYH wrote:
Christophe wrote:But plenty of Commonwealth citizens do need a visa to visit the UK (although not Australians).
I was responding to your response to Sakura. (I'm always meaningful and generally aim to be helpful.)

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:27 am

Lisa71

Let's get this straight are you a resident of Australia or are you a Australian?

Assuming you are a Australian, UK border control must grant you a 6 month's entry, without any question. Go to the UK High Commision in Paris a complain and moan about your treatment.

Now if you are not a Australian but just a resident of Australia, that is a different story.
We would need to know what nationality you hold to assist you any further.

Chin up I'm sure this can be sorted quickly.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:29 am

lisa71, I am sorry but there doesn't seem to be much that you could do now other than apply for the visit visa from Paris or in a worse case scenario, if they refuse, fro Australia. Since you already have the stamp in your passport, I do not think you will be finding anymore helpful answers from this board other than the ones already provided.
SYH, here we go again. Your dumb, idiotic comment comment about being in the Commonwealth as if it was some help in gaining entry into the UK is at the best one of the most ignorant comments to date. And this is taking all your other so-called "information" to date as well. So, instead of trying to wriggle out of it like a weasel, see if you can atleast try and learn a totally new trade- maturity. I know it is going to be really,really hard for you, but atleast try. Please!

Christophe, sorry to be hijacking your responsebut you are way to nice to be handling him.
Last edited by Docterror on Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabi

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:29 am

Siggi wrote:Lisa71

Let's get this straight are you a resident of Australia or are you a Australian?

Assuming you are a Australian, UK border control must grant you a 6 month's entry, without any question. Go to the UK High Commision in Paris a complain and moan about your treatment.
I'm not sure that this is correct. Although Australians don't need pre-entry clearance, in the form of a visa, to enter the UK as a visitor, it is nevertheless up to the immigration officer at the point of entry to assess whether to admit the person or not. There is no right, by virtue of Australian citizenship, to enter the UK.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:39 am

Christophe,

Yes technicaly there is no such thing as right into the UK. However UK immigration officer would need very, very good grounds to refuse a Australian entry into the UK.

Certainly not the ground's Lisa 71 explained.

I suspect there is more to this case than meet's the eye, but I'm sure Lisa will explain in more detail soon!

So let wait see her reply.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:39 am

Docterror wrote:lisa71, I am sorry but there doesn't seem to be much that you could do now other than apply for the visit visa from Paris or in a worse case scenario, if they refuse, fro Australia. Since you already have the stamp in your passport, I do not think you will be finding anymore helpful answers from this board other than the ones already provided.
SYH, here we go again. Your dumb, idiotic comment comment about being in the Commonwealth as if it was some help in gaining entry into the UK is at the best one of the most ignorant comments to date. And this is taking all your other so-called "information" to date as well. So, instead of trying to wriggle out of it like a weasel, see if you can atleast try and learn a totally new trade- maturity. I know it is going to be really,really hard for you, but atleast try. Please!

Christophe, sorry to be hijacking your responsebut you are way to nice to be handling him.
Excuse me Doc, I think you should refrain from chracterizing my comments as idiotic or dumb.
I think you are really narrow minded to not know or acknowledge that biases exists for different nationality. Just grow up and stop trying to shoot down my commentary because you are too uptight to appreciate it.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:41 am

However UK immigration officer would need very, very good grounds to refuse a Australian entry into the UK
The use of deception is a good cause as any for denying entry of which this one can also be interpretted as being having no intentions to return back home. I am sure it was explained by the IO when the entrance was denied.
Jabi

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:50 am

SYH wrote:I think you should refrain from chracterizing my comments as idiotic or dumb
I tend to call a spade a spade. Sorry!
I think you are really narrow minded...you are too uptight to appreciate it
I am honoured. I was afraid I might be in your "good" books. The only ones who aren't uptight enough to consider you knowledgeful are all locked up in lunatic asylums.
know or acknowledge that biases exists for different nationality
None of which has anything to do with by being Commonwealth.
Just grow up
Now, to whom and where have we all heard that before?

Hey! Let's see whether you can play this game well. It's called - play dead. Even my dog can do it well. The question is- are you intelligent enough?
Jabi

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:56 am

Rules for users of this Board include :-
One must always treat fellow posters with respect.
So children, if lack of respect continues this topic will be locked and repeat offenders will see their membership of this board suspended or even deleted.
John

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:00 am

Docterror and SYH

Please show a bit of maturity and help Lisa 71, instead fightng like kids in a play ground.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:01 am

...to not know or acknowledge that biases exists for different nationality...
Leaving aside all the personal invective, the important point that I was trying to make above is that the UK entry requirements for citizens of various countries are not primarily decided on the basis of whether or not those countries are in the Commonwealth. Once, this was an important factor but it isn't now. However, there is still a belief in some quarters that it is (hence the posts that we see sometimes about "visa requirements for Commonwealth citizens" etc), and it is surely a good idea to disabuse people of this false impression.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:10 am

Christophe wrote:
...to not know or acknowledge that biases exists for different nationality...
Leaving aside all the personal invective, the important point that I was trying to make above is that the UK entry requirements for citizens of various countries are not primarily decided on the basis of whether or not those countries are in the Commonwealth. Once, this was an important factor but it isn't now. However, there is still a belief in some quarters that it is (hence the posts that we see sometimes about "visa requirements for Commonwealth citizens" etc), and it is surely a good idea to disabuse people of this false impression.
The reference that people and bureaucracies having biases and pointing out they do exist hardly is abusive.
In France, there is a presumption that no American is comnng into the country to take away any jobs from French people by virtue of the country they are coming from. Lawyers I have dealt with tell me this all the time in getting approvals for work visas when apply. So I do not find it irresponsible or misleading which is what I think you are actually trying to say, to say that she probably should have been given the benefit of doubt, since she is from Australia, one of the better commonwealth countries in the UK eyes.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:12 am

if lack of respect continues this topic will be locked and repeat offenders will see their membership of this board suspended or even deleted.
John, sorry! I knew this was coming up, but I only get to that mode when I feel that the disrespect dished out is a bit too much to 'show the other cheek'. I know that going vigilante only makes it hard for you as the Moderator, and my apologies for making it even harder for you.
Jabi

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:21 am

Christophe wrote:
SYH wrote:
I was responding to your response to Sakura. (I'm always meaningful and generally aim to be helpful.)
Well before I could respond to say, Ok I think I understand you now. I was waylaid by Doc Terror, the mother of santimonious prattle.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:44 am

SYH wrote:Its funny, not ha ha, but I was in Paris today and thinking whether to stay longer, if I stuck around, I would have let you sleep on the couch of my friend's flat for a couple days to sort yourself out.
Is it just me or that kind of creepy?
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: refused entry into the uk please please help !

Post by Christophe » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:58 am

lisa71 wrote:I would be most appreciative if someone could offer any assistance please.
Lisa, going back to your original post: as was pointed out above, you probably have nothing to lose by applying to the British Embassy in Paris for entry clearance for the UK. You would do well to have proof of return to Australia and also proof of funds (notwithstanding that you say you would have been supported financially in the UK).

At present, though, the British Embassy is not accepting applications - urgent applications have to go to Brussells. From Thursday 16 August, visa applications will have to be lodged at the Visa Application Centre (VAC) operated WorldBridge Service (see this page from the British Embassy website).

You could of course travel to another country within the Schengen area or even Switzerland, but that seems unnecessarily complicated and doesn't seem to me to increase any likelihood of a visa being granted. I don't know what chance there is of the visa application being accepted: it might well be that you will have to return to Australia to apply: other more knowledgeable people might be able to help there.

Alternatively, can you just try to re-enter the UK (by the Channel Tunnel) if you can demonstrate to the immigration officer that the problems inherent in your entry before have been sorted out?

Anyway, good luck.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:14 pm

Dawie wrote:
SYH wrote:Its funny, not ha ha, but I was in Paris today and thinking whether to stay longer, if I stuck around, I would have let you sleep on the couch of my friend's flat for a couple days to sort yourself out.
Is it just me or that kind of creepy?
No it sounds creepy :)