ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR on old rules?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jimmiesettler
Newly Registered

ILR on old rules?

Post by jimmiesettler » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi ... hope someone can help me, there seems to be contradiction info regarding all of this on the UK Government Websites.

Background :
I'm a South African male who went to the UK in 2003 on a Working Holiday, subsequently studied there and met a British girl, fell in love and got married in 2007, receiving the original Limited Leave To Remain Spouse Visa in Sept 2007.

In late 2008, my South African family fell upon harder times and we moved back to South Africa in early 2009 to help out. We kinda settled here and all that, but lately we have been seriously contemplating moving back to the UK (Liverpool). My family has been affected by crime etc. and the prospects and future here are starting to look grim.

Having applied before 9 Jul 2012, do I fall under the old rules of now applying for ILR ? Can I apply from SOuth Africa using the Visa4UK website (once I have done Life in UK and English language tests). Furthermore, does anyone have experience of what kind of financial info they're looking for ? I only have about R30 000 in the bank and my UK born wife doesn't even have a job, she has been struggling all these years to find one in SA (mainly because she can't speak Afrikaans and we live in Pretoria We do not have any children

Would my measly R30 000 satisfy them to give me ILR ? I don't want to waste the 1000 quid, about R18 000 to waste on an application that might get rejected.

Please ... any help from first hand experiences will be greatly appreciated.

jimmiesettler
Newly Registered

Re: ILR on old rules?

Post by jimmiesettler » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:31 am

No-one here that can help me ?? Please, if someone has any idea about this :lol: :lol: - I need to know, so we can look at all our options and get the whole process started :shock: :shock:

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:33 am

Your old leave expired so you'd have to apply for leave under Appendix FM, the new rules, a 5 year route to settlement with a Financial and English requirement.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:36 am

Or you could use the EU route by moving to a European country, cheaper option too.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jimmiesettler
Newly Registered

Post by jimmiesettler » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:54 am

Thank you so much Amber and CR001.
Think we'll just go the new rules UK route then. Don't really fancy doing the EU route, plus my wife only speaks English, so there is no way of her finding a job in the EU. We want to be with her friends and family in England, not in another new country.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:46 am

Your wife will need to find employment in the UK earning a minimum of £18,600 per annum and be in this job for 6 months before applying. Alternatively, if you have been earning the equivalent of £18,600 in South Africa for at least 6 months and have a confirmed job offer in the UK to start within 3 months of arrival (salary at least £18,600) you can apply with this evidence. Regarding savings held, it would help if you convert this to £ sterling to save forum members googling the rates for you.
You'll also need to prove in your application that you have suitable accommodation available on the your arrival in the UK.
Amber's correct of course that the clock has been re-set for your spouse visa application, putting you on the 5 year route to settlement.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.