ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to prepare for Life in the UK test?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tulipz
Mood:
United Kingdom

How to prepare for Life in the UK test?

Post by tulipz » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi all,
How to prepare for LIUK test? There are 2-3 different types of books available in the market. Which one to pick?

Also, is there a PDF version of the official manual available anywhere?

Would 7 days be enough to prepare ?

Thanks.
Tulipz

Skc84

Re: How to prepare for Life in the UK test?

Post by Skc84 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:39 pm

You can purchase the following books

1) Life in the United Kingdom: A Guide for New Residents - 3rd Edition (MAIN)

2) Life in the United Kingdom:Official Study Guide (2013 Edition) (SUMMARY guide)

3) Life in the United Kingdom:Official Practice Questions and Answers 3rd Edition (Practice Q's)

You can also purchase PDF version of these books.

Other option is to rent out from local library.

You can practice Q's online too as many websites offer that for free.

Thanks

Macro_Run
Member of Standing

Post by Macro_Run » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:54 pm

1.Life in the United Kingdom: A Guide for New Residents, 3rd Edition.
2.Life in the United Kingdom: Official Practice Questions and Answers Book.

More details are available in the following link (but not free)

http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp? ... KID=002353

Depends upon your confident for the test. (prepare & share the experience)

laxmipathi

Post by laxmipathi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:22 pm

Online study material available here..http://www.lifeintheunitedkingdomtest.co.uk/

laxmipathi

Post by laxmipathi » Thu May 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Here is more material for preparation

http://quizlet.com/22344431/life-in-the ... ash-cards/

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Thu May 01, 2014 2:36 pm

For preparing for life in uk test at start never consult any private website/note but focus only the officially recommended study material from TSO shop. Once you read the official books and solve its practice questions then you may do some practice at different websites or books but at start only focus on official books.

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Post by shahid2000 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:33 pm

This might not work for everyone but I simply did around 15-20 online practice tests, made a note of the ones I got wrong and then remembered those. Passed the test without any issues :D
No need for the book at all IMHO.

digitanium

Post by digitanium » Thu May 01, 2014 4:41 pm

Universal soldier wrote:For preparing for life in uk test at start never consult any private website/note but focus only the officially recommended study material from TSO shop. Once you read the official books and solve its practice questions then you may do some practice at different websites or books but at start only focus on official books.
This is for me the foolproof method of passing the exam. Once you studied the official book atleast once, you can then move to practise questions/mock up exams that are available on the web/apps.

If you are constantly passing the practise questions, that's a good indication you are ready for the actual exam.
Fret not, the actual exam is easier than the practise questions (atleast in my experience).
Most candidate would complete the exam in less than 10mins after sitting for it.

Good luck!

montysingh

Post by montysingh » Thu May 01, 2014 7:30 pm

Hello everyone

Please advise if anyone still wants the third edition Life in uk test books and all practice test questions. I have got the PDF version and will provide it here

Thanks

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Thu May 01, 2014 7:56 pm

digitanium wrote:
Universal soldier wrote:For preparing for life in uk test at start never consult any private website/note but focus only the officially recommended study material from TSO shop. Once you read the official books and solve its practice questions then you may do some practice at different websites or books but at start only focus on official books.
This is for me the foolproof method of passing the exam. Once you studied the official book atleast once, you can then move to practise questions/mock up exams that are available on the web/apps.

Good luck!
I personally think that you have no idea or experience because studying the official book once can never prepare you for test because the topic of history has been widened so much than before which involve various dates/years/events etc. My advise will be to initially only focus on official theory book by reading it various times then start solving the practice questions from officially recommended book even along with different websites/applications but never start attempting/reading initially from websites/applications unless gone through the official books.

susan0x

Post by susan0x » Fri May 02, 2014 8:27 am

pls post it

thanks
montysingh wrote:Hello everyone

Please advise if anyone still wants the third edition Life in uk test books and all practice test questions. I have got the PDF version and will provide it here

Thanks

digitanium

Post by digitanium » Fri May 02, 2014 11:14 am

Universal soldier wrote:
digitanium wrote:

Good luck!
I personally think that you have no idea or experience because studying the official book once can never prepare you for test because the topic of history has been widened so much than before which involve various dates/years/events etc. My advise will be to initially only focus on official theory book by reading it various times then start solving the practice questions from officially recommended book even along with different websites/applications but never start attempting/reading initially from websites/applications unless gone through the official books.
As quoted above, in my case I studied the official book just once and further to that did as many possible practise questions. Everyone has got their own way/strength in preparing for the test.

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Fri May 02, 2014 12:21 pm

I still stick on my opinion that studying once the official TSO shop book cannot prepare you enough because of heavy inclusion of history topic which a normal human brain cannot memorize at once. Doing practice test actually reinforce what you have actually read like its practical application.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:16 am

The official TSO book (3rd Edition) is not enough on its own to pass the test.

There are so many questions in the test for which the information is not contained within the official book. (A little unfair on the Home Office's part :roll: )

In additional to the official book, you need to read additional information about the topics from other sources and do as many practice questions as you can.

My opinion:

Read the official book many times
Expand on the topics from other sources such as the internet
Attempt hundreds of mock exam questions you can find on the internet, questions books from TSO etc...

Ensure that any questions you attempt is from the 3rd edition as there are many questions floating out there from the 2nd or even 1st editions that are out of date (such as questions on population percentages which will have changed over time).
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

smartkhan
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by smartkhan » Mon May 12, 2014 3:52 pm

These notes for the LITUK test based on the official study guide and questions off the official iOS app. These notes aren't exhaustive (you need to know more people, as well as values, government and law), but they cover nearly all key historical events/eras/battles that I encountered in all my practice tests.

Hope it's helpful to someone! Good luck studying.

KEY ACTS:

- Magna Carta (1215): reduced rights of the king and laid out basic rights of the people.

- Act for the Government of Wales (under King Henry VII, 1500s): united England and Wales

- Habeas Corpus Act (1679): forbid unlawful imprisonment

- Bill of Rights (1689): confirmed the rights of Parliament and the limits of the king's power

- Act of Union (1707): united kingdoms of England and Scotland and created Kingdom of GB

- Reform Act (1832): abolished pocket and rotten boroughs and gave more parliamentary seats to towns and cities. Increased number of (male) voters.

- Emancipation Act (1833): abolished slavery throughout British Empire. William Wilberforce was leading abolitionist and Quakers set up first anti-slavery groups. More than 2 million migrants came from India and China to replace labour force.

- Women's suffrage - 1918 (vote at 30+ yrs) and 1928 (vote at 21 yrs, same as men)

- 1913: Home Rule proposed in Ireland. Idea was to have a self-governing Ireland with its own parliament that still remained part of the UK. WWI postponed any changes. Irish nationalists didn't want to wait and the Easter Rising against the British in Dublin took place in 1916. Guerrilla war followed.

- 1921: Peace treaty signed splitting Ireland in two

ERAS:

- Romans: ruled Britain from 43-410 AD (approximately 400 years). Hadrian's wall built on orders of Roman Emperor Hadrian to keep out tribes (Picts) who lived in what is now Scotland.

- Middle Ages (1066-1485): period of constant war, including Crusades and Hundred Years' War.

- Elizabethan period (1500s): known for growing patriotism, expanded trade and rich poetry and drama.

- The Enlightenment (1700s): development of new ideas about politics, philosophy and science. Adam Smith (economics) and David Hume (philosopher) influential Scottish thinkers.

- Industrial Revolution (from mid-1700s to 1800s). Britain produced over half of the world's supplies of cotton cloth, coal and iron. Machinery and stream power developed.

- Victorian Age (1837-1901): Queen Victoria reigned; Britain increased power and influence abroad. Became largest empire in world history. Middle classes grew significantly and reformers improved conditions for the poor.

MODERN ERA:

- 1900s: jet engine and radar invented. TV & World Wide Web (Tim Berners-Lee) invented. Hovercraft invented (Sir Christopher Cockrell) and penicillin discovered (Sir Alexander Flemming). ATM invented. Cloned sheep Dolly. Developed Concorde (supersonic jet) with the French. Co-discovered insulin and co-invented the MRI. Structure of DNA molecule discovered. Radio telescope at Jodrell Bank was for many years the world's largest. Harrier jump jet (takes off vertically). IVF therapy.

- State retirement pension and free school meals introduced before WWI

- 1929: Great Depression. Aviation and automobile industries developed. High unemployment, especially in "heavy" industries (e.g. shipbuilding).

- 1942: Beveridge Report (William Beveridge) set out ideas which led to foundation of modern welfare state.

- 1944: Education Act (R A Butler). Free secondary education and clear distinction between primary and secondary education.

- 1945-1950: NHS and social security system established.

- 1947: 9 colonies gained independence, including India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka

- 1950s: Post-war labour shortages led to recruitment of workers from India, Pakistan, West Indies and Bangladesh.

- 1960s: Increased wealth and liberalisation of social laws (e.g. abortion and divorce).

- 1973: UK joined the EEC

- 1998: Good Friday Agreement led to establishment of Northern Irish parliament

- 1999: Scottish parliament & Welsh assembly established

BATTLES & WARS:

- 1066: William of Normandy conquered England at Battle of Hastings (Bayeux Tapestry)

- 1314: Battle of Bannockburn. Scottish King Robert the Bruce defeated the English.

- 1455: War of the Roses. Civil war between House of Lancaster (red rose) and House of York (white rose) to determine who should be king of England. Ended at Battle of Bosworth Field (1485). Henry Tudor of House of Lancaster became King Henry VII and married Elizabeth of York, uniting the two families as the House of Tudor (red rose with a white rose inside).

- Last of the Welsh rebellions had been defeated by mid-15th century.

- 1588: Spanish Armada was defeated under Elizabeth I

- 1640: Beginning of English Civil War. Parliament (supporters: Roundheads) vs the King (Cavaliers). Charles I introduced Prayer Book; Parliament, made of Puritans, didn't back him. King's army defeated at Battles of Marston Moor and Naseby. King Charles I executed.

- 1776: American colonies declare independence over taxation.

- 1805: Battle of Trafalgar. Lord Horatio Nelson (of Nelson's Column) defeated French (Napoleon) + Spanish fleet.

- 1815: Battle of Waterloo. Lord Wellington defeated Napoleon.

- 1889-1902: Boer War in South Africa.

- 1916: Battle of the Somme WW1. British forces suffered 60,000 causalities on the first day.

- 1918: WWI ended at 11.00 on 11/11.

- 1939: German invasion of Poland led UK and France to declare war on Germany

- 1940 (WWII): Evacuation of Dunkirk. Rescue of 300,000 men by volunteers and small boats.

- 1940 (WWII): Battle of Britain. German/British aerial battle.

- 1982: Argentina invaded Falkland Islands

KEY EVENTS:

- 1348: Black Death. Killed over 1/3 of Britain. Fewer people meant less need for cereal crops as well as labour shortages, then increased wages. Movement into cities and towns. Gentry (landowners of large plots) and middle class developed.

- 1400: English became preferred language of courts and official documents.

- 1660: The Restoration (of the monarchy). Charles (King of Scotland) invited to come back as King Charles II after Oliver Cromwell's death.

- 1665: Great Plague

- Glorious Revolution (1688): English Protestants asked Mary's husband William of Orange (of the Netherlands) to proclaim himself king, as didn't want a Catholic king. He faced no resistance.

- During Queen Elizabeth I's reign, English settlers began to move to North American colonies.

PEOPLE:

- Sir Robert Walpole: first PM (1721-1742) as King George I (a German) relied heavily on ministers because of his poor English

- Oliver Cromwell: titled Lord Protector (circa 1640s-1650s) and led Britain whilst it was without a monarch

- King Alfred the Great united the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of England and defeated the Vikings.

- Isambard Kingdom Brunel: engineer (bridges, trains, tunnels, ships)

- Dylan Thomas: Welsh poet ("Under Milk Wood" & "Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night")

- Robert Burns: Scottish poet ("The Bard"), Auld Lang Syne

- Richard Arkwright: Efficient and profitable factory owner during Industrial Revolution

- Sake Dean Mahomet: set up first curry house in Britain and introduced shampooing

- Florence Nightingale: founder of modern nursing

- Emmeline Pankhurst: Suffrage leader

- Rudyard Kipling: Indian-born author and poet. Work reflected idea that British empire was a force for good.

- George and Robert Stevenson: famous pioneers of railway engines

- St Columba & St Augustine: led missionaries from Rome.

- Sir Francis Drake: Elizabethan sailor who helped defeat Spanish Armada and who later sailed around the world.

- Hugunots: French Protestants feeling prosecution settled in England pre-1720

- Henry VIII: famous for marrying 6 times and breaking away from Church of Rome so he could get a divorce. Wales was united with England under his rule. Wives (in order):
(1) Catherine of Aragon
(2) Anne Boleyn
(3) Jane Seymour
(4) Anne of Cleves
(5) Catherine Howard
(6) Catherine Parr

- Margaret Thatcher was first female PM and the longest serving PM of the 20th century.

- Alexander Fleming: Scottish doctor who discovered penicillin (1928)

- Clement Attlee: Churchill's Deputy PM. Became PM in 1945. Nationalised major industries and created NHS.

- Mary Peters: Olympic athlete who promoted sport and tourism in Northern Ireland.

- Roald Dahl: Welsh author ("Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" & "George's Marvellous Medicine").

- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: Scottish author ("Sherlock Holmes")

smartkhan
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by smartkhan » Mon May 12, 2014 3:52 pm

Couple of more suggestions:

1) Read the Life in UK official book at least once. I read it twice before passing.
2) Prepare using the online mock questions as much as you can
a) http://www.freelifeintheuktest.com/
b) http://www.theuktest.com/
3) First book the test and then prepare. Otherwise you'll delay it until your visa expiry.

Don't take the test easy. It was easy until 2nd edition. You need to prepare 3rd edition now which is a bit difficult. Once you have a feeling you can pass the test that means you are fully prepared.

silent_warrior
Member of Standing

Post by silent_warrior » Tue May 13, 2014 9:29 pm

Reading once may or may not be enough. However as suggested in the post above ,do as many mock tests as possible. It is also a good way of learning and remembering. I have posted the question I was given for my LIUK test on 24th April 2014.
Also to someone who mentioned about posting a possible pdf copy on this forum. Please refrain from doing so as it is violation of copyright for that book and the forum rules prevent anyone from posting anything without appropriate permission

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Wed May 14, 2014 3:56 pm

Furthermore, almost all libraries in uk too now launch online version of liuk test preparation material which taken from official books without harming the copyrights. Also practice questions they offer. This service is for library members.

Javedkhan5555

Post by Javedkhan5555 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:50 pm

I would recoomend http://gocitizen.co.uk/ as the best online source to prepare for life in the UK. I did not buy any book or material as all material related to the test is available on this website .There are loads of test questions as well. The study material is available and is free. However, if you need to try and test yourself on harder questions, you need to take a month membership that costs only 5 GBP.

amolrakheja
Newly Registered

Post by amolrakheja » Tue May 20, 2014 11:14 pm

Thanks
Hi Monty
Can you please email me the PDF version of test book & practice test questions. My email address is
Moderator edit: email address removed to protect you from spam. Please make contact through your PM facility on the forum.

Cheera
Amol

sny_walia
Newly Registered

Post by sny_walia » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:26 pm

amolrakheja wrote:

Thanks
Hi Monty
Can you please email me the PDF version of test book & practice test questions. My email address is
Moderator edit: email address removed to protect you from spam. Please make contact through your PM facility on the forum.

Cheera
Amol
Hi Amol,

I am a new user and do not have PM facility. How can I contact Monty for the soft copy.

Thanks

s1344678

Post by s1344678 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:43 pm

Practice by doing Life in the UK tests. These Life in the UK practice tests are valid in 2014, you will pass first time, trust. Other resources are also listed in this thread.

gmaniPBST2
Newly Registered

Post by gmaniPBST2 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:19 pm

I think this may be useful for people who are preparing for the test.

The official book for the test 'Life in the United Kingdom: A Guide for New Residents, 3rd Edition', the official companion guide 'Life in the United Kingdom: Official Study Guide - 2013 Edition' and the official practice test 'Life in the United Kingdom: Official Practice Questions and Answers' are available online in an excellent web-format. They are available under a Creative Commons license and looks legal.

1. The main book https://law.resource.org/pub/uk/life/uk ... .2013.html
2. Companion study guide https://law.resource.org/pub/uk/life/go ... .2013.html
3. Practice questions https://law.resource.org/pub/uk/life/go ... .2013.html

Other useful test/preparation websites:
1. Flashcards https://quizlet.com/22344431/life-in-th ... ash-cards/
2. Mock tests http://www.testlifeinuk.com/
3. Tests https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk/

The actual test is much easier than the questions in some of the websites, so don't be intimidated by the difficulty you might face while taking the practice tests. However, I must add that you should read the main book thoroughly. An average person might require at least one week of full-time preparation.

Good luck!