ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I Want to Marry my American Girlfriend...

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

DoctorGP
Newly Registered

I Want to Marry my American Girlfriend...

Post by DoctorGP » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if someone would be able to advise me on something.

Back in April, a rather wonderful American woman came to the UK on a 6 month Visa. She had friends here from when she lived here a few years ago and wanted to catch up with them, see a few sights and generally have a bit of a holiday.

Within a few weeks of her arriving we met, hit it off and are now a happy couple - and looking to get married.

I'm not sure of whether we can tie the knot under her current Visa or if we would need to apply for a different one. Or will she have to return to the States in order to apply for it.

We're renting a place together at the moment and are looking to get a place of our own, but we want to ensure that all the correct paperwork is in place regarding her being here first.

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: I Want to Marry my American Girlfriend...

Post by Casa » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:20 pm

You can marry here while she is on a visitor visa but she will have to return to the US to apply for a spouse visa in order to settle here.
You'll have to comply with certain conditions, such as minimum earnings per annum of £18,600 (unless you have substantial savings between you).
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

DoctorGP
Newly Registered

Post by DoctorGP » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Can she apply to settle here without having to return to the USA?

odat
Jordan

Post by odat » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:19 pm

no she can't apply for settle at anyway she need to back to usa and apply for spouse visa
spouse visa 2.5 years and then she need to extension her visa another 2.5 years that 5 years in total and then she will be eligibility for settlement in uk

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:45 pm

[b]Immigration status requirements[/b] wrote: E-LTRP.2.1. The applicant must not be in the UK
-
(a)
as a visitor;
or
(b)
with valid leave granted for a period of 6 months or less,
unless that leave is as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner, or was granted pending the outcome of family
court or divorce proceedings
E-LTRP.2.2. The applicant must not be in the UK

(a) on temporary admission or temporary release, unless paragraph EX.1.
applies; or
(b) in breach of immigration laws (disregarding any period of overstaying for
a period of 28 days
or less), unless paragraph EX.1. applies.

Exception 1
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:05 pm

Casa wrote:You can marry here while she is on a visitor visa but she will have to return to the US to apply for a spouse visa in order to settle here.
You'll have to comply with certain conditions, such as minimum earnings per annum of £18,600 (unless you have substantial savings between you).
Also ensure that she doesn't overstay her visitor visa before she returns to the US or it will adversely affect her spouse visa application.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

catbusstop
Newly Registered

Post by catbusstop » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:30 am

Also plan for it to take time. My wife and I applied for a settlement visa for her to come and live here permanently back in mid-April and we're still waiting now.