ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A question about getting a UK citizenship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

barm22
Newly Registered

A question about getting a UK citizenship

Post by barm22 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:30 pm

If I live in UK and work with a working visa, lets say for about 3-4 years I will get a UK citizenship? (after living and working in UK for long time)

JAJ
Australia

Re: A question about getting a UK citizenship

Post by JAJ » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:51 pm

barm22 wrote:If I live in UK and work with a working visa, lets say for about 3-4 years I will get a UK citizenship? (after living and working in UK for long time)
Are you saying that 3-4 years is "a long time"?

(short answer is that it's not long enough for naturalisation, if not married to a British citizen). And living in the UK on its own won't do - you need to get Indefinite Leave to Remain.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:10 am

barm22 wrote:If I live in UK and work with a working visa, lets say for about 3-4 years I will get a UK citizenship? (after living and working in UK for long time)
It's six years for British citizenship on a work permit, HSMP, EEA permit, refugee, ELR, etc.
3 years as a spouse of British citizen/ump/civil partner or somone with ILR/PR
11 years on Long residence category 1
19 years on Long residence category 2
There are probably some other 'concessions', but, basically if you're here working, it is 6 years in total, including 12 months on ILR.
I suggest you look at the Border and Immigration website for the rules, there doesn't seem to be anything about 3-4 years' working.

barm22
Newly Registered

Post by barm22 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:18 am

sakura wrote:
It's six years for British citizenship on a work permit, HSMP, EEA permit, refugee, ELR, etc.
There are probably some other 'concessions', but, basically if you're here working, it is 6 years in total, including 12 months on ILR.
I suggest you look at the Border and Immigration website for the rules, there doesn't seem to be anything about 3-4 years' working.
Thank you, how I prove the UK goverment that I work there for 6 years ? just show them the working permit ?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:27 am

barm22 wrote:
sakura wrote:
Thank you, how I prove the UK goverment that I work there for 6 years ? just show them the working permit ?
Are you in the UK? Under what category, and for how long? Need more details to provide the right answer to your questions. Or are you planning on coming?

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:34 am

Sakura has given you all the correct information.
But, one area that should be highlighted,is in all cases you have to be in the country on a continuous bases.
In other words with no break's.
Finally your stay must be legal.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:38 am

Oh yes I must stress that my above post about the timings - ALL of them must include at least 12 months on ILR. (There are, as always, exceptions, but in the case of working there isn't, and you must have ILR.)

barm22
Newly Registered

Post by barm22 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:51 am

I'm not in the UK right now, I'm planning to go to the UK soon..
Let me see if I understand.
ILR means that I can't leave UK for 12 months right ? (its not a paper that give me the option to work there I need a working permit too). And then I need to continue working in the UK with a work permit for another 5 years and only then I get a UK citizenship, and in those 5 years I can't leave UK?
Last question :) how I get this ILR thing ?

I'm sorry for all the question but this immigration thing really complicated.
Last edited by barm22 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:09 pm

barm22 wrote:I'm not in the UK right now, I'm planning to go to the UK soon..
Let me see if I understand.
ILR means that I can't leave UK for 12 months right ? (its not a paper that give me the option to work there I need a working permit too). And then I need to continue working in the UK with a work permit for another 5 years and only then I get a UK citizenship, and in those 5 years I can't leave UK?
Last question :) how I get this ILR thing ?

I'm sorry for all the question but this immigration thing really complicated.
No, that's wrong. Probably you should visit www.workingintheuk.gov.uk for details.

It's like this (based on a work permit).
1. you apply for a job in the UK
2. the employer wants you and THEY apply for a work permit (you cannot apply for a work permit for yourself - only your employer can)
3. you get the work permit (stamped in your passport). You then move to the UK (5-yr clock starts)
4. after 5 years working, you apply for ILR (take UK test for this)
5. after ILR for 12 months you apply for naturalisation

At any time during this 6 year period (5 years work permit and 12 months ILR), you can of course leave the UK for anything, whenever you like. There is nothing stopping you from leaving. ILR is given after you spend the qualifying period in the UK. It varies depending on your visa category, but on a work-based category (usually HSMP or work permit), it is 5 years.

So that's it, based on a work permit. It is the same for the highly skilled migrant's programme (HSMP), but you apply for that yourself. Also, the work permit is given only for ONE employer - you cannot use it for any other job/employer. The HSMP, however, can be used to work anywhere, with any number of employers, or even to set up your own LLC.

Again - visit the working in the UK website, or www.ukvisas.gov.uk for all the details. Also the Home Office BIA website, and look at the application forms and read up on the laws and policies. Since writing all of this would take an eternity!

barm22
Newly Registered

Post by barm22 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:15 pm

Thanks you help me alot. I will check this website.