ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA2 help

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vinayunited

EEA2 help

Post by vinayunited » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:01 pm

I arrived in the UK in Jan of 2007 as a student. I completed by degree in 2012 and went on to get a PSW. My PSW expired in 2014. In the meantime I was married (last year ) so was able to extend my visa through the EEA2 directive.

My wife and me have now decided to end our relationship. The break though painful is largely mutual. She is willing to help me in any which way possible to allow me to stay in the UK though she would prefer moving back home. She is currently enrolled in university here doing her PHD of which as of September she would still have a year left. Since the final year is only writing up, she can do that from anywhere.

I am confused as to what my options are. I have stayed in the UK for almost 8 years now and have been working in a good job for the past two years. Does it mean I have to go back even if my wife is ready to support me and is not insistent on the divorce ? Can I apply for the ILR in 2 years’ time as long as I am still technically married but not really living together ? I am paying for her insurance, do I have to continue doing that ? Can my wife move back home and continue her write up year there (though she will still be registered as a UK student) or does she have to be living with me ?

To be honest I don’t really know if I want to stay in the UK. I just want to know all my options before I make the decision.

Thanks

Obie
Ireland

Re: EEA2 help

Post by Obie » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:21 pm

Those options are possible if she is residing in the UK.

If she finishes her course and leaves, your right to reside will elapse.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors