ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement for PhD degree Holder

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ukvisat2

English Language Requirement for PhD degree Holder

Post by ukvisat2 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:46 pm

I tried to find in old posts about my query, but could not find.
I have done my PhD from University of Vienna, Austria, where medium of instruction was in English. I wrote my PhD Thesis also in English.

Has an English proficiency letter from my PhD advisor been enough to get points for Tier 2 (General) visa?

Thanks in Advance for your time!

vishpb35

Re: English Language Requirement for PhD degree Holder

Post by vishpb35 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:39 pm

Submit a copy of ur degree along with uni letter to Naric n get english level assement done. That will help or see if ur degree n qualification awards you 10 points on ukba points calculator. If yes, then attach points calc + original degree + letter from uni for ur application to ukba

ukvisat2

Post by ukvisat2 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Submit a copy of ur degree along with uni letter to Naric n get english level assement done.

I have submitted, but Naric said that there is no English level assessment for the PhD degree. However, they offer me that I can apply for a statement of comparability. Would it be sufficient for English requirement?

That will help or see if your degree and qualification awards you 10 points on an ukba points calculator. If yes, then attach points calc + original degree + letter from uni for ur application to ukba

Zero points on the UKBA site calculator.

vishpb35

Post by vishpb35 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:11 pm

drfaisal wrote: Submit a copy of ur degree along with uni letter to Naric n get english level assement done.

I have submitted, but Naric said that there is no English level assessment for the PhD degree. However, they offer me that I can apply for a statement of comparability. Would it be sufficient for English requirement?

You can also get assessment for your Bachelor's degree. UKBA does not want your english level assessment for Highest degree obtained, it just need a proof that you have obtained some degree that satisfies your English skills. If you have done B.com/BTech etc as an example, that should be enough. Dont get your NARIC comparibility for PHD then. Instead See point 2 below and if you are awarded 10 points, then you will be laughing. .

That will help or see if your degree and qualification awards you 10 points on an ukba points calculator. If yes, then attach points calc + original degree + letter from uni for ur application to ukba

Zero points on the UKBA site calculator.
Please also try to see how much points you get for your bachelor's degree/course on website
My comments in red

anandparas
Newly Registered

Post by anandparas » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:23 am

Is submitting your degree to NARIC compulsory to get English level assessment done. I have a M.Sc and a PhD from a University in India that does show up in the UKBA site. Do I still need to submit any proof other than the original MSc degree?

repeatcell
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by repeatcell » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Please let me know whether it is compulsory for everyone to get their degree assessed through naric. My degree and institution does show up on the UKBA website. What else do I need to submit besides my original degree?

ukvisat2

Post by ukvisat2 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:48 pm

If it shows 10 points on the UKBA site calculator, then you don't need to assess your qualification fro UK NARIC.
For further information, please read the points 131-145 of the following document http://goo.gl/yGOP9Y

If you still confuse, then make queries on the UKVI site https://ukvi-international.faq-help.com/

repeatcell
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by repeatcell » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:44 pm

drfaisal wrote:If it shows 10 points on the UKBA site calculator, then you don't need to assess your qualification fro UK NARIC.
For further information, please read the points 131-145 of the following document http://goo.gl/yGOP9Y

If you still confuse, then make queries on the UKVI site https://ukvi-international.faq-help.com/
Really helpful reply. Thank you.

vishpb35

Post by vishpb35 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:56 pm

anandparas wrote:Is submitting your degree to NARIC compulsory to get English level assessment done. I have a M.Sc and a PhD from a University in India that does show up in the UKBA site. Do I still need to submit any proof other than the original MSc degree?

No, then you dont need NARIC

vishpb35

Post by vishpb35 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:57 pm

repeatcell wrote:Please let me know whether it is compulsory for everyone to get their degree assessed through naric. My degree and institution does show up on the UKBA website. What else do I need to submit besides my original degree?

If you are getting 20 points for degree and 10 for english for your qualifications on UKBA calculator, then just have a printout of the same is sufficient and it does not require NARIC