ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spelling of name on application form

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sipahi
Newly Registered

Spelling of name on application form

Post by sipahi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi,

I am going to make an application soon and got a question about the name.

In my original name I have a few non-english letters (such as Ö). But I haven't used these letter anywhere since I moved to the UK. Including all banks, utility companies, police regs, UKBA...know me as Omer.

In this case do I have to use "Ömer" on the application form or can I leave it as "Omer". LIke I said, the second one is what I've been using for 6-7 years and I believe it's making paperwork very easy - I have no problem at all with it.

what do you think?

thanks in advance.

vivdubes

Re: Spelling of name on application form

Post by vivdubes » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Just explain this on page 15 of the application form and continue using the way you want.. :D

vivdubes

Post by vivdubes » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Just explain this on page 15 of the application form and continue using the way you want.. :D

sipahi
Newly Registered

Post by sipahi » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:28 am

vivdubes wrote:Just explain this on page 15 of the application form and continue using the way you want.. :D
Hi vivdubes,
just got an email reply from HO and it s basically a 'copy paste' type of information that doesnt help a lot.

I am still not sure if 'Ömer' to 'Omer' is a name change requiring a deed poll...

Two questions I need to find answers to are;

- is above change to single letter requires a deed poll?
- can I use the letter Ö on the naturalisation certificate (then I can keep using my original name on the NC) if yes how does that affect the current name I've been using for banking, driving licence etc all documentation in the UK. Because as far as I know the 'electoral roll' gets the name from the certificate. Then probably the bank etc will want me to use the name on the certificate/electoral roll...

I really didnt think this would become an issue as using british version of my name hasnt been a problem in the last 6 years...

I really would appreciate some help on this matter. This might save me from paying to the solicitor. Considering the application fee, NCS fee, document translations etc. it s been a bit costly

gorkem1974
Newly Registered

Post by gorkem1974 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:02 pm

Hi Omer and Everyone,
My name also has the letter Ö, May I learn if you've found an answer as to what to put in section 1.6 in the AN form. My name is GÖRKEM but I've always used as gorkem in the UK, so I have the same problem do you think if I put with dots will it be accepted and if yes will it then affect my other registrations such as banks.

Any help/advice would be extremely appreciated.

Many thanks
Gorkem

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:13 pm

gorkem1974 wrote:Hi Omer and Everyone,
My name also has the letter Ö, May I learn if you've found an answer as to what to put in section 1.6 in the AN form. My name is GÖRKEM but I've always used as gorkem in the UK, so I have the same problem do you think if I put with dots will it be accepted and if yes will it then affect my other registrations such as banks.

Many thanks
Gorkem
See this HO guidance on Names & in particular the section on 'diacritical' characters:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... f-name.pdf
Where an applicant has a name including the diacritical characters listed (in document above), you will need to explain to them prior to issue that the alternative spelling must be used, the system must be updated to show the transliteration and a case note must be added to explain the change.

Similarly, if an applicant completes their application form with any diacritical characters in the name transliterated ..., but their documents show the corresponding diacritical character, this should be
accepted without any supporting evidence
In other words... use the letter "O" (without dots) in UK.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Cupcake567

Post by Cupcake567 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:56 pm

Good afternoon,

Can any of you advise on the progress of your application? Did you use your name as stated in your passport in the application or without dots? How did HO consider it?

I have just realized that I made error in my application as instead of spelling my name with Ł, I only used letter L. I called HO and they said it's ok but I am wondering if that would matter?

Please share your experience.

Thanks,
noajthan wrote:
gorkem1974 wrote:Hi Omer and Everyone,

Many thanks
Gorkem
See this HO guidance on Names & in particular the section on 'diacritical' characters:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... f-name.pdf
Where an applicant has a name including the diacritical characters listed (in document above), you will need to explain to them prior to issue that the alternative spelling must be used, the system must be updated to show the transliteration and a case note must be added to explain the change.

Similarly, if an applicant completes their application form with any diacritical characters in the name transliterated ..., but their documents show the corresponding diacritical character, this should be
accepted without any supporting evidence
In other words... use the letter "O" (without dots) in UK.