ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Romanian citizenship to get a europian passport

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

barm22
Newly Registered

Romanian citizenship to get a europian passport

Post by barm22 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:31 pm

Hello, I'm 18 and I would like to get a romanian citizenship so I can be a citizen of the europe and could live and work all around europe.
I have a grandfather that born in romania and a grandmother that born in romania, non of my parents got a romanian citizenship.
There is a chance I can get a romanian citizenship though my grandparents only?

Looking forward to hear a awnser,
Thank you.

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Romanian citizenship to get a europian passport

Post by sakura » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:50 pm

barm22 wrote:Hello, I'm 18 and I would like to get a romanian citizenship so I can be a citizen of the europe and could live and work all around europe.
I have a grandfather that born in romania and a grandmother that born in romania, non of my parents got a romanian citizenship.

Thank you.
What citizenship are you, and your parents? Which grandparents have Romanian citizenship (your father's father, etc)? And where are you currently living?

barm22
Newly Registered

Re: Romanian citizenship to get a europian passport

Post by barm22 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:54 pm

sakura wrote:
barm22 wrote:Hello, I'm 18 and I would like to get a romanian citizenship so I can be a citizen of the europe and could live and work all around europe.

Thank you.
What citizenship are you, and your parents? Which grandparents have Romanian citizenship (your father's father, etc)? And where are you currently living?
Thanks for the fast awnser.
Me and my parents are citizens of Israel.
My grandparents from my mother side have Romanian citizenship and Israel citizenship. I'm now living in Israel.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:28 am

You should consider calling the Romanian embassy. See also http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_ROMANIA.html

This website, http://www.romanianpassport.co.il/english/ , says
Second and Third generation descendants to these Romanian citizens are also entitled to a Romanian Citizenship.
The site also seems to have equivalent content in Hebrew, in case that is helpful.

barm22
Newly Registered

Post by barm22 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:03 pm

Thanks you very much, I will call the Romania embassy as soon as possible.

barm22
Newly Registered

Post by barm22 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:54 pm

Another question, How long can this process take ? days, weeks ?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:32 pm

barm22 wrote:Another question, How long can this process take ? days, weeks ?
Days? I like the idea, but I think not.

I think most countries would take 2-6 months for something like this. If there are a lot of people applying for their Romainian passports it could take even longer. The embassy should be able to give you an unofficial sense of how long it will take you to get a response.

It also depends on how much of the documentation you already have. Marriage certificates, birth certificates, very old passports, etc... What you do not have you may have to order from the archives of various countries. How well do you speak Romainian?

barm22
Newly Registered

Post by barm22 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:55 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
barm22 wrote:Another question, How long can this process take ? days, weeks ?
Days? I like the idea, but I think not.

I think most countries would take 2-6 months for something like this. If there are a lot of people applying for their Romainian passports it could take even longer. The embassy should be able to give you an unofficial sense of how long it will take you to get a response.

It also depends on how much of the documentation you already have. Marriage certificates, birth certificates, very old passports, etc... What you do not have you may have to order from the archives of various countries. How well do you speak Romainian?
I don't speak romanian at all , is this a problem ?
I also don't have any document about my grandparents (that prove that they are romanian citizens) ...
It starting to sound complicated.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:43 pm

I don't know how complicated it will be. But if you don't have the documentation already, then you will have to obtain it, and that will take some time. See what the embassy says, and what they can recommend about getting the documentation together.

barm22
Newly Registered

Post by barm22 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:29 pm

Thanks for the help.
If I can get a birth certificate of my grandmother that prove she was born in Romania, is this enough or I need my grandfather birth certificate also because it will be impossible to get.

barm22
Newly Registered

Post by barm22 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:26 pm

If I will be a citizen of Romania I will be able to go to UK and work without any problem? (I wont need a work permit cause im a citizen of a country in the european union?) just like german citizens can work in UK with not problems.
Last edited by barm22 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barm22
Newly Registered

Post by barm22 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:07 pm

One more thing..
Citizens of romania that immigrated to israel few decades ago lost their Romanian citizenship,because the law in romania said that you cant hold more then one citizenship, when this law was cancel? maybe my grandparents dont have a romanian citizenship? i need to know if someone here know: when this law that a romanian cant have to citizenship were cancle.

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 am

barm22 wrote:If I will be a citizen of Romania I will be able to go to UK and work without any problem?
No. There are special rules for Bulgarians and Romanians. Go and read http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applyi ... unationals

You've already been given lots of pointers, I suggest you go and do a bit more research before posting more multiple questions!
--
Mark Y-M
London

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:27 am

Generally speaking in cases like this you need to prove how you are related to your grandparents which will require obtaining not only their birth certificates but also marriage certificates. And not just of your grandparents, but of your parents too. A birth certificate on its own does not prove anything. In most countries it is possible for anybody off the street to obtain a copy of a birth certificate of a complete stranger. Without further evidence to show the relationship between you and the person who's birth certificate you have, that birth certificate is useless.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:50 am

If you are 18, and Israeli, won't you have to join the IDF first before you can think of work permits etc? Or is this an attempt to avoid the IDF?
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

barm22
Newly Registered

Post by barm22 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:29 pm

mym - Thanks for the link, I will read it. I think it will be better if I will do this process with a lawyer.
avjones - Personally, I'm not going to the army.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:34 pm

My other half is Israeli, and I thought it was quite hard to get out of? Unless you are ultra-Orthodox.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:38 pm

avjones wrote:My other half is Israeli, and I thought it was quite hard to get out of? Unless you are ultra-Orthodox.
Is seeking asylum in another country a viable option for an Israeli citizen to get out of IDF conscription?
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:46 pm

Nope. No well-founded fear of persecution.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:49 pm

avjones wrote:Nope. No well-founded fear of persecution.
Although some would argue that being conscripted into the IDF is a very good example of persecution.

barm22
Newly Registered

Post by barm22 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:52 pm

Are you saying that a citizen of israel can ask for asylum in another country so he won't have to go to the army?

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:54 pm

barm22 wrote:Are you saying that a citizen of israel can ask for asylum in another country so he won't have to go to the army?
I'm not saying it IS possible, I'm saying it SHOULD be possible, but unfortunately highly unlikely.

barm22
Newly Registered

Post by barm22 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:31 pm

I know someone who lived in russia and didn't want to join the russian army so he escaped to USA and got ayslum.