ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling after getting citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pvijays
Newly Registered

Travelling after getting citizenship

Post by pvijays » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:11 pm

I have applied for Naturalization on 23rd June, and waiting for approval, but i have plan to visit india in December, I am just concerned if i get my approval may be some time in September, and then i need to apply for British passport, but what if I dont receive my passport before december?
Can i use Indian passport, if I get my British passport, how early can I get OCI / PIO card or indian Visa?
Regards
Vijay

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Re: Travelling after getting citizenship

Post by IndiMarshall » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Lets assume you get your approval in early October..

Fix your ceremony date (you will basically have 90 days to fix your ceremony.. ) to end of Nov or few days before you start...
Dont apply for British passport till you come back from vacation..
Start applying for B passport after your arrival in UK..

The rule I heard here is (for Indians) from the time your citizenship certificate has arrived..you should complete getting the B passport and submit Inidan passport and receive OCI with in 90 days.. failing to do so you will be charged 145£ as you have visited out of UK.. If you do more visits.. a max of £1400 fine will be charged..

I many not sure be correct about the number of days in last point.. but this is what you have to do. I am in a similar situation as you .. hence can understand your situation..

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:04 pm

I am sure you will have no trouble

harshil223
United Kingdom

Post by harshil223 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:23 pm

The rule I heard here is (for Indians) from the time your citizenship certificate has arrived..you should complete getting the B passport and submit Inidan passport and receive OCI with in 90 days.. failing to do so you will be charged 145£ as you have visited out of UK.. If you do more visits.. a max of £1400 fine will be charged..
Passport is travel document, it is not madatory to get passport after getting citizenship certificate if someone doesn't want to pass the ports of UK (though very less likely).
Also are you sure getting OCI is compulsory if someone gets British passport?
Indian passport should be surrendered but not sure about by when it must be done however getting OCI is not compulsory.
Once you get B passport, you can get visa to visit India as well if you haven't got OCI.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:24 pm

harshil223 wrote:
Passport is travel document, it is not madatory to get passport after getting citizenship certificate if someone doesn't want to pass the ports of UK (though very less likely).
Indian passport should be surrendered but not sure about by when it must be done however getting OCI is not compulsory.
Once you get B passport, you can get visa to visit India as well if you haven't got OCI.
Did I say getting passport is mandatory even if someone doesn't want to pass the ports of UK ?
Did I say getting OCI is mandatory if someone gets British passport ?
Did I say that one cannot travel on Visa to India in the event of noOCI?

I explained the scenario when Pvijayas approaches for OCI .. Hope you understood .. I was explaining the whole process and you are jumping to conclusions..

harshil223
United Kingdom

Post by harshil223 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:12 pm

well, I was not concluding anything,

where do I seem to be concluding anything in above statements?
i was stating the truth as per my knowledge, i don't even claim that it is 100% correct.
instead i was just curious to know how much below statement
you should complete getting the B passport and submit Inidan passport and receive OCI with in 90 days
holds true and as per my knowledge it's not. hence asked are you sure getting OCI is compulsory.
i read your old post where you stated that's the rule you heard is (for indians). i am not aware of any such rules hence posted on the topic.

i am sorry if you or anybody got offended due to it.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:26 pm

harshil223 wrote:well, I was not concluding anything,

where do I seem to be concluding anything in above statements?
i was stating the truth as per my knowledge, i don't even claim that it is 100% correct.
instead i was just curious to know how much below statement
you should complete getting the B passport and submit Inidan passport and receive OCI with in 90 days
holds true and as per my knowledge it's not. hence asked are you sure getting OCI is compulsory.
i read your old post where you stated that's the rule you heard is (for indians). i am not aware of any such rules hence posted on the topic.

i am sorry if you or anybody got offended due to it.
Mate I told the information that an average Indian would do from a small or large sample data ..
Naturalization --> Ceremony --> British Passport Applicaiton -->OCI

Here in this thread the opening poster is
planning to travel out of UK..
planning to apply for British passport
planning to apply for OCI

so it makes sense what are the consequences and procedure he should follow in his next steps... I dont konw why would you start explaning ...
passport is not mandatory (continued)
OCI is not mandatory (continued)
Can use a Visa instead of OCI (continued)

Totally not situational for the help Pvijayas need...
Dont get glued to the word 'Rule' I used it in broader sense like standard procedure who is willing to go through complete process as the opening poster... The reason I used (for Indians) is becoz the fine £145 for Indians only and this is not Indian nationality immigration board..there are a number of other nationals who read all posts where they can relate.. lets take it easy ..