ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

talktome

Switching

Post by talktome » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:25 am

Hi there ,
Switching according to the Official Work Permits site is declared as
Changing Immigration Status While in the UK

What I wanted to know is whether changing employers is considered as Switching, meaning I am going from one work permit to the other.
I dont think so but still wanted to clarify the same.

thanks

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:51 am

Last edited by try-one on Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

vivekR

Switching

Post by vivekR » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:52 am

Nope Mate,

That will be transfer of WP. Which is something much less daunting as compared to the 1st WP application.

Swtiching is something when you go from a one categoryu, say Student / dependent/ etc.

VR

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:01 pm

Switching is when you change your visa category. In the case of changing employers where your new employer is also applying for a new work permit, it will amount of transfer. Procedurally I dont see much difference between the two because regardless of switching or transfer, you will still be applying for further leave to remain.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:53 pm

its not switching. and you wouldnt be affectd by the new rules on swithching anyway. however like mwasir rightly puts, you will still need to change you LTR

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:30 pm

I have just been reading the latest 'switching leaflet' on the working in the uk/HO website and there is really nothing new :roll:

Can some one give me examples of how the system has been 'abused'? Because as far as I know a Visitor who is a visa national could not switch into anything..without leaving the countrty..........

perharps this new rule mainly affects Australians/Canadians and Yankees who would easily switch incountry...
Where there is a will there is a way.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:28 pm

The leaflet also states

"All FLtR applications made before this date will be subject to the previous Immigration Rules and procedures."

Potential abused refered to is before this period where clear cut category switching was not defined. A friend of mine switched from business visa to work permit in 2003. I was always told they dont allow this but it was allowed in his case. Even people on visitors visa could switch a few years ago. Presumably there are other borderline cases and similiar grey areas on immigration rules where people have come and stayed back. I know of another guy who applied as a returning resident after coming here on a visiting visa in the late 90s.

Its good that they have defined what can and what catgeory cannot be switched. What I find funny is that a doctor who comes to work in this country on permit free training visa needs to wait for 10 years to get his PR after clearing his PLAB and being attached to some NHS hospital. The same guy is allowed to switch to HSMP and will be granted PR in 4 years while on the same job. What more, he is given priority when processing the applications. I am not saying he is not skilled, I am saying since he is so highly skilled why does it take him 10 years under the current immigration law to attain a PR status.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:01 pm

i think the main "abusers" who came in on student visitors (not university degrees) but just registered with some dodgy colleges.