ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family permit and NHS service entitlement

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Dikke
Newly Registered

EEA family permit and NHS service entitlement

Post by Dikke » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:11 am

Hi,
I hope someone can help me with some information.

My non-EEA partner joined me (EEA national) in the UK with an EEA family permit (which lasts for 6 months). After one month together in the UK as married couple, she (non-EEA partner) received medical treatment from the NHS as a result of her pregnancy.

NHS is now saying she has to pay for those services since she is not entitled to free medical care as a visitor to the UK.

My understanding is that she should be entitled to free NHS services as a married partner of an EEA national. The 6 month duration of the family permit is to allow her enter the UK and take up a permanent residence so she cannot be clasified as a visitor.

My question is, is my partner entitled to free NHS services, and if she is, how can I support this position?

Thank you in advance.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: EEA family permit and NHS service entitlement

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:41 pm

Your non-EU spouse is fully entitled to NHS medical care. Also, any time spent in the UK counts towards the 5 years of residence required for "Permanent Residence".

Tell the NHS that your wife is fully legally resident in the UK. Definitely do not pay them a cent. And politely tell them to sod off. Contact your MP if you have any further difficulties.

How long have you lived and worked in the UK?

Dikke
Newly Registered

Post by Dikke » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks a lot for the information.

I have been living and working in the UK for a little over 3 years now.
I have the impression they focus on the duration of the family permit without understanding the effect of the status.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:55 pm

Push back!

Baby notes: Get several copies of the long form birth when the baby is born. It is cheap and easy when you register the child, and useful later.

Also note that once you have lived and worked in the UK for 5 years, you will have PR. At that point you can "register" your British born child as a British citizen, if that is of interest.