ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Knowledge of English and the Life in the UK test

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fahimmirza
Newly Registered

Knowledge of English and the Life in the UK test

Post by fahimmirza » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:43 pm

I am new to this forum and found it very useful by finding answers some of the questions on the British Citizenships by naturalization form. However I am surprised I have not found a topic on knowledge of English and the Life in the UK test.

In in July 2013 my wife was granted ILR on the basis of passing ESOL2 combined with Life in the UK test. For this she went to the local college to study. Now she is going to apply for BN. Will she have to pass another English Test, such as ESOL3? Am I right in understanding that she did not have to pass another Life in the UK test?

akash08

Re: Knowledge of English and the Life in the UK test

Post by akash08 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:53 pm

There are at least 100 threads on this subject and you can not find one?

Anyway nothing wrong in repeating here but there are loads of threads with this topic, questions exactly like yours have been answered so many times.

I do not know about ESOL but someone will surely answer. If in hurry, just search ESOL in this forum and you will get your answer.

For example

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1073605

fahimmirza
Newly Registered

Post by fahimmirza » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:08 pm

Thanks Akash for your prompt reply. I only found the threads after posting my question. My fault. I am sorry if I wasted your time. However I have been unable to find an answer to a question like mine. Perhaps there is one. I will try again.

akash08

Post by akash08 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:15 am

There is nothing like wasting my time. Your statement that there is no topic on this was so odd that i had to write.

Coming to the topic, this is the rule for ESOL

Qualifications in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) at Entry level 3, Level 1 or Level 2, that include speaking and listening and that have been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). The qualification must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register of Regulated Qualifications and have been taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. The Ofqual register is available at: http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/2.

it looks like your wife is already qualified at level 2. All you have to ensure is that it is recognised by ofqual.

Also you have to remember that a number of test centres have been blacklisted as a result of recent abuse in the exam. If your wifes test center is one of them, the degree wont be accepted.

fahimmirza
Newly Registered

Post by fahimmirza » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks Akash for answering my query. As the college she attended is a local main stream college, and that the examining and award issuing body was City n Guild, it seems highly unlikely the qualification has been discredited. My only worry is that when I hear that the rules have been changed since October 2013, though my wife did her ESOL2 combined with the life in the UK test in July 2013.
I am quite sure ( but not 100 per cent) that she did not have to do the Life in the UK test again, but I only see on the UKAB website that an accepted qualification is an English Course at Level B, and an ESOL 3 is equivalent to Level B. I have made quite a few enquiries but no one seems to be quite sure about it. I also wrote to the UKAB enquiries, but instead of giving a direct reply, yes or no, they sent me the links which I have already read and they do not answer my question. Thanks

zeusmagnanimous

Post by zeusmagnanimous » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:13 pm

akash08 wrote:There is nothing like wasting my time. Your statement that there is no topic on this was so odd that i had to write.

Coming to the topic, this is the rule for ESOL

Qualifications in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) at Entry level 3, Level 1 or Level 2, that include speaking and listening and that have been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). The qualification must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register of Regulated Qualifications and have been taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. The Ofqual register is available at: http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/2.

it looks like your wife is already qualified at level 2. All you have to ensure is that it is recognised by ofqual.

Also you have to remember that a number of test centres have been blacklisted as a result of recent abuse in the exam. If your wifes test center is one of them, the degree wont be accepted.
Is thre a list of blacklisted test centres somewhere? How to we know which ones are blacklisted?
What about this one (seems like the most popular one) http://englishexamcentres.co.uk/b1-esol ... vel-3.html