ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Using a solicitor for certified copies - a contradiction?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dminus
Newly Registered

Using a solicitor for certified copies - a contradiction?

Post by dminus » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:53 pm

I hope someone can clarify on use of solicitor or a notary to certify my passport and ILR card instead of sending the originals since I need to travel extensively while my application is considered. So far I have found that many in this forum claim it is possible, but:

- The only mentioning of copies vs. originals in the application form is the following: “If you are concerned with submitting original documents then you may wish to consider using Nationality Checking Service described on page 3 of the guide,” so it does not mention copies made by NCS and not by notaries or solicitors
- The guide also only mentions copies made by NCS and not by notaries or solicitors
- In this forum many quoted the following text “If you use an agent or representative you’ll need to submit original documents rather than copies” supposedly from a Home Office site, but I have not been able to locate such a statement, may be since it was not really true and currently removed or re-worded?

I am a bit reluctant to use NCS since they are more restrictive on how to fill the form and what additional evidence to submit, which I may need to do since asking for discretion due to 479 days of absence in the last 5 yrs, most work related. I also more comfortable with using a solicitor, the same I used for my ILR. It seems to me rather weird and unfair that giving NCS monopoly over certifying copies deprives the applicants of the legal help which they are entitled to get.

Thank you!