ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier1 visa and auto pension enrollment

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

anasjamil2

Tier1 visa and auto pension enrollment

Post by anasjamil2 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:06 am

Hi,

I am Indian on a tier1 visa which is valid upto April2015. My plan is to extend or apply for PR.

Today I noticed in my pay slips there has been deductions since May2014 for Pension-AE. I suspect it is due to the auto pension enrolment scheme.

I am about to go back to the employer and request to opt out, but i think they won't be able to do anything because the opt out time is limited to 1 month, whereas i noticed it 3 months later.

This is bit silly that even when I am on a limited permission to stay in this country i am contributing to pensions.. isn't it? please can seniors advice if there is a any law which I can show to my employer which will help me opt out?

Thanks,
Anas

O_Relly

Re: Tier1 visa and auto pension enrollment

Post by O_Relly » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:12 am

The auto enrolment whilst a govt. Initiative to encourage more people to save for the future is not mandatory. It is your employers responsibility to make you aware of your rights, ie., to give you notice to opt out prior to them making deductions.

You can opt out any time you wish, only catch is you wont get the money that has already been contributed and will remain in 'your' pot. You will be automatically enrolled again in 3 years time, at which point you may choose to contribute to the same pot or opt out again.

Speak to your employer, they have no right to force you into this.
Cheers,
OR