ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement and UK Masters adgree

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nemo999
United Kingdom

English Language Requirement and UK Masters adgree

Post by nemo999 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:28 am

Hi All,

I will be applying for BC soon.

A) As far as I have read and understood the AN form and Guidance, I need NOT take any other test for English language as I have a Masters degree taught in UK.Just checking if this is correct. Please confirm.

B) One of my main referee is Lecturer in a Junior college, is that OK? Or do I need to find someone who is solicitor / accountant / some other profession?

Please let me know. Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Re: English Language Requirement and UK Masters adgree

Post by IndiMarshall » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:35 am

1)..yes that is enough.. follow what Guide AN says.. form AN needs updating..
take other documents as well..

2) Yes lecturers are accepted as a professionals..

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... xa__1_.pdf

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:47 pm

I 'think' they have corrected it in form:
1.22 How do you intend to satisfy the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK? See page 11–17 in the accompanying Booklet AN

✔ I have passed the Life in the UK test and attach confirmation.

The test number is:

AND EITHER

✔ I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification; OR

✔ I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
(i)
UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
(ii)
the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); OR
✔ I am a national of a majority English speaking country; OR
✔ I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013; OR
✔ I wish to claim exemption on the basis of my physical or mental condition (physical and/or mental illness may not lead automatically to exemption. You should provide reasons on page 15. Your application may fail and the fee retained if insufficient reasons for exemption are provided).
Further guidance about the knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement can be found in the Guide and Booklet AN that accompanies this form. Additional information can also be found on our website.
I copy-pasted from form AN.

Regards.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:01 pm

fwd079 wrote:I 'think' they have corrected it in form:
1.22 How do you intend to satisfy the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK? See page 11–17 in the accompanying Booklet AN

✔ I have passed the Life in the UK test and attach confirmation.

The test number is:

AND EITHER

✔ I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification; OR

✔ I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
(i)
UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
(ii)
the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); OR
✔ I am a national of a majority English speaking country; OR
✔ I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013; OR
✔ I wish to claim exemption on the basis of my physical or mental condition (physical and/or mental illness may not lead automatically to exemption. You should provide reasons on page 15. Your application may fail and the fee retained if insufficient reasons for exemption are provided).
Further guidance about the knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement can be found in the Guide and Booklet AN that accompanies this form. Additional information can also be found on our website.
I copy-pasted from form AN.

Regards.
In Form AN where does it say that.. Points based calculator is enough along with original degree certificate and life in UK test.. (this is said in Guide AN)

If you follow FORM AN.. u might well think that NARIC or B1 CEFR is mandatory if you are not from majority speaking country ..

FORM AN is rubbish.. the last line blindly says follow Guide AN for more guidance.. Loll.. when Main application is Form AN. I would expect it to in sync with Guide AN..
FORM AN doesnt even talk about orginal letter from uni confirming that degree is taught in English..

Because of these mistakes I hadnt taken enough documents as at that time there is no mentino about Guide AN too.. a week later they postponed it with free of cost.. due to these agreed mistakes..

MSaxp

Post by MSaxp » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:44 pm

I would think Its not exactly clearly explained.

My case would fall under:

I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
(i)
[...]
(ii)
the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada)

So if i have a masters from a UK univesrity, I have to confirm that NARIC deem it to meet the standard of a UK degree? But it is a UK degree! How do i do that?