ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tips needed before travel to UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hsmp0804

Tips needed before travel to UK

Post by hsmp0804 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:30 pm

Hi All,
I have got my EC and now ready to travel to UK(Heathrow) in couple of weeks.I have some basic doubts

1) At airport (either India or London) will I go thro' any immigration officer interview? If yes what do they normally ask?

2) Beside my passport( stamped) and approval letter, do I need to carry any other documents? Please mention what all docs r required.

3) Is it better to take the chest x-ray,medical test before travelling to UK?

4) Is it recommended to open a bank account in UK before I travel?

would appreciate any other tips as well.

Thanks in advance.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:46 pm

Hi,
1) At airport in India they normally dont ask anything, but if they ask you can tell you have a hsmp visa and shall be finding a job after you reach UK, also take some job adverts that suit your profile. In Uk the immigration officer wont ask much as they know about hsmp visa. They will send you for a chest x-ray. Also in the plane you have to write the address where you shall be going after you land in UK, so have that address handy.
2)I dont think so any other docs are needed, if you wish to carry your certificates and official docs you can do so.
3) Chest X-ray, am not very sure if that helps coz the officials wont let you jump the queue even if you have an xray handy. And taking the xray takes not mcuh time, so its up to you. I wont take an xray with me if I were you.
4)Yes, You should try and open an ICICI bank account in your name in India. When you reach here you can open and NRE account in ICICI UK, that will help you tansfer money and also if you need a loan in future to buy property in India.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:48 pm

Hi,
1) At airport in India they normally dont ask anything, but if they ask you can tell you have a hsmp visa and shall be finding a job after you reach UK, also take some job adverts that suit your profile. In Uk the immigration officer wont ask much as they know about hsmp visa. They will send you for a chest x-ray. Also in the plane you have to write the address where you shall be going after you land in UK, so have that address handy.
2)I dont think so any other docs are needed, if you wish to carry your certificates and official docs you can do so.
3) Chest X-ray, am not very sure if that helps coz the officials wont let you jump the queue even if you have an xray handy. And taking the xray takes not mcuh time, so its up to you. I wont take an xray with me if I were you.
4)Yes, You should try and open an ICICI bank account in your name in India. When you reach here you can open and NRE account in ICICI UK, that will help you tansfer money and also if you need a loan in future to buy property in India.

hsmp0804

Post by hsmp0804 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:17 am

Hi Herts,
Thanks for the reply.
Regarding 4) I alreay have ICICI account in India. I am planning take a travellers card from ICICI bank as well. Can i open the NRE account from UK also? and later can i transfer the money online to my NRE account?

Thanks in advance.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:28 am

hi,
You can open an icici nre account in uk from Knightsbridge, they shall give you nre kit with the debit card then and there at the branch.
You will need your passport and address proof as well like electricty bill.
You can transfer money from nre to your local icici branch in India.

hsmp0804

Post by hsmp0804 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:42 am

Thanks a lot Herts,

I shall be traveling to UK in sept mid. I have about 5 years of exp in India in core java, springs/struts.I have following doubts

1) I have not started UK job hunt from India yet as i have heard consultants dont call if u r not in UK. I m planning to start it once I reach UK and get a UK mobile number. Is it a fair decision?

2) I am planning to join some contract jobs in UK. Checked in the forum and saw some ppl have opened their own company and hired an accountant. Do I need to do anything like that for contract job?

3) whats the umbrella company and what’s its significant? Saw ppl talking about umbrella companies couple of times.

4) I have job offers in India for ~13 lakhs in MNCs. Will it help me finding job in UK? In UK, what range of compensation should I expect with my experience (very good in core java with exp in springs,struts,hibernate with telecom domain)?

any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:02 am

hi hsmp0804
Yes start looking for jobs when you are in UK.
You can do contract jobs to start with, it gives good money as well.
When you are here you will know more about jobs here.
If you have any friend who is in s/w here in UK try asking them how and where to apply.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:27 am

Hi hsmp0804,
Try to come to UK within 28 days when your visa starts. It just makes it simple for you to get it extended just once.Otherwise you have to get it extended after 5 years also for some months.

hsmp0804

Post by hsmp0804 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:37 am

Hi Herts,
I didnt understand u. R u saying If I dont come to UK within 28 days after my stamping, I'll have difficulties to extend my visa? or anything else.

Can u please elaborate?

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:03 am

Hi 0804,
Nothing like that. To brief you, You get ILR after 5 years.
You shall have a visa for 2 years now i presume, then you shall get it extended for another 3 years, that makes it 5 years. If you are in the country for 4 years 11 monthsyou can apply for ILR, but if you are not then you have to get it extended again for some months to make your presence in UK for 5 years and then you get an ILR.

hsmp0804

Post by hsmp0804 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:46 am

Thanks Herts,
This is imp information indeed.
u didnt comment on my questions 2 3 n 4.
Any comments?

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:24 pm

hi 0804,
Regarding your 2nd and 3rd query i cant answer as am not from s/w field.
As regards to 4th query, I dont think so it would matter much in the interview. If you are getting nice offer in India that should make your self confidence boost but can't see if recruiters have any impact on that mate.
Anyway you s/w guys once you get into your job you will earn massive amount.

hsmp0804

Post by hsmp0804 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:08 pm

ok thanks Herts,

Experts any comments regarding my 2 n 3rd questions?

lovelydj4u
Newly Registered

Post by lovelydj4u » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:47 pm

Hi,
have u got the Job in UK?
I am also from Software Field having 4.2 years of experience in Java, J2EE.

How's the Java Job market in UK?

I am also planning to apply for HSMP.

Please let me know.
Thanks....
hsmp0804 wrote:Thanks a lot Herts,

I shall be traveling to UK in sept mid. I have about 5 years of exp in India in core java, springs/struts.I have following doubts

1) I have not started UK job hunt from India yet as i have heard consultants dont call if u r not in UK. I m planning to start it once I reach UK and get a UK mobile number. Is it a fair decision?

2) I am planning to join some contract jobs in UK. Checked in the forum and saw some ppl have opened their own company and hired an accountant. Do I need to do anything like that for contract job?

3) whats the umbrella company and what’s its significant? Saw ppl talking about umbrella companies couple of times.

4) I have job offers in India for ~13 lakhs in MNCs. Will it help me finding job in UK? In UK, what range of compensation should I expect with my experience (very good in core java with exp in springs,struts,hibernate with telecom domain)?

any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.