ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student.....

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fara9
Newly Registered

Student.....

Post by fara9 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:50 am

Hi

I am swtiching back to student from my current SEGS leave. My visa expires in october 2007

Can i take admission NOW in a Degree course starting Jan/Feb 2008 or I have to take admission in Sept 2007 course. ????

If i take admission in jan/Feb 2008 course, can HO ask me about the period from my visa expires(oct 2007) to start date of my new course (jan/feb 2008)..?? That What i am doing in that period
Or they will grant new visa from oct

Or it is safe to take admission in Sept 2007 course...

I think i made it complicated

Fara9

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Student.....

Post by sakura » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:55 pm

fara9 wrote:Hi

I am swtiching back to student from my current SEGS leave. My visa expires in october 2007

Can i take admission NOW in a Degree course starting Jan/Feb 2008 or I have to take admission in Sept 2007 course. ????

If i take admission in jan/Feb 2008 course, can HO ask me about the period from my visa expires(oct 2007) to start date of my new course (jan/feb 2008)..?? That What i am doing in that period
Or they will grant new visa from oct

Or it is safe to take admission in Sept 2007 course...

I think i made it complicated

Fara9
I don't know of many courses that start in Jan/Feb; most start in September, and you are certainly quite too late to enrol on most of them.

Have you found any courses for this Sept, or next Jan/Feb? Do you have sufficient fees to pay for it?

fara9
Newly Registered

Post by fara9 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:14 pm

hi.

you are rite, not many courses starts in Jan/Feb, I am in touch wiyh my current university and they are considering me as continous student (I finished my previous course in July 2006). They have got some seats available in sept 2007 course.
does i need to provide payment of FEE proof to HO while submitting my case..
My university think i dont need to pay until the end of this year as a continous student...

Can i take admission in lower degree BSc (Hons) after completing a higher degree (Postgraduate) though in differnt subject..??

Fara9

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:49 pm

fara9 wrote:Can i take admission in lower degree BSc (Hons) after completing a higher degree (Postgraduate) though in differnt subject..??

Fara9
Doesn't there have to be continuity in your studies?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:21 pm

fara9 wrote:hi.

you are rite, not many courses starts in Jan/Feb, I am in touch wiyh my current university and they are considering me as continous student (I finished my previous course in July 2006). They have got some seats available in sept 2007 course.
does i need to provide payment of FEE proof to HO while submitting my case..
My university think i dont need to pay until the end of this year as a continous student...

Can i take admission in lower degree BSc (Hons) after completing a higher degree (Postgraduate) though in differnt subject..??

Fara9
What degree(s) do you have, and what are you planning on studying?

To be honest, unless it is something that would prove useful to what you've already studied, the BIA might just think it's a stupid ploy to stay in the country and refuse your application, because going back to do another UG degree is clearly not 'progression'. So, unless it's something like a languages, medicine or business degree (and I mean something like accounting or financial economics), then don't do that.

As for fees - I know that before you didn't have to pay before getting the visa, but I don't know whether or not they've changed the rules since then. So check the websites, probably www.ukvisas.gov.uk or UKCOSA.

Finally - what's the point of going down when you can go up? Why not go for a PhD or a professional degree like ACCA or whatever?

fara9
Newly Registered

Post by fara9 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:00 pm

I have studied IT degree (postgraduate) and mean while i am working in a firm that deal with accounts and business management and business proceses.

I reveal that I am lacking knowledge in business and management matters at my work. I am planning for an Honours degree in Business/Accounting or Business information Systems.
I am also considering an MBA but I think Honours degree will give me more detail knowledge and information.
I hope, thouugh this i can overcome that is deficient in my work.

fara9

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:39 am

fara9, also do check whether you can make an in-country switch from the SEGS to a student visa as well without having to head back to your original country for a new Entry Clearance.
Jabi

IMMIGRATION LAWYER
United Kingdom

Post by IMMIGRATION LAWYER » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:48 pm

The Home Office intends to allow people on full commercial Work Permits to be able to switch into degree programmes in counry. Just plans.

As SEGS was a concession and a pilot programme, which has not been substitutes by the IGS (International Graduate Students Scheme) it is not regarded as a full commercial Work Permit.

SEGS used to be allowed to switch into higher grade programmes, such as WP, HSMP, Innovator, Investor, Businessman.

I am certain the Home Office will not let you do that.

I am sorry to dissapoint you.

fara9
Newly Registered

Post by fara9 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:34 pm

Docterror, i havnt check whether i could swtich in-country visa from segs to student or not but the same problem is been identified in this forum from a member( KaranM)
I quote his reply. It is in Directorate's Instructions under Chapter 3 (Students), Section 3 (leave to remain for students)

Quote:
Caseworkers should note that a concessionary arrangement has been put in place for visa national students who fulfil the following requirements:

• Entered the United Kingdom with a student entry clearance in accordance with paragraphs 57-62 of the Immigration Rules
• Switched into the SEGS category (paragraphs 135O-135T of the Immigration Rules)
• Travelled and re-entered the UK with valid leave in this category, and
• Seek to switch (back) into the student category (paragraphs 57-62 of the Immigration Rules) to study at degree level or above. Under the Immigration Rules a visa national student whose circumstances are described above would not be able to satisfy paragraph 60(i) as they were last admitted to the United Kingdom with leave in the SEGS category.

However it has been agreed that, where all the above conditions prevail,
caseworkers may waive the requirement in paragraph 60(i) and grant leave to remain outside the rules (LOTR) as a student, provided all the other requirements of paragraph 60 have been met.
I AM TRYING TO READ THE ENTIRE DOCEMENT...
Can any one find some clue from it

fara9
Newly Registered

Post by fara9 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:40 pm

It seems (from Immigration rules) that it is not possible or extremely difficult to swtich in-country visa from SEGS to student.
This is more difficult if yoy have travelled during your SEGS period (as I did).

haa. I just read that people who travelled during their SEGS period can apply for in-country applcation to student. But they have to apply after 1st september 2007.
I am not sure about correctness the source.

fara9