ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit UK as a visitor while awaiting decision on settlement

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

us.student
Newly Registered

Visit UK as a visitor while awaiting decision on settlement

Post by us.student » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:02 pm

This might seem crazy, but I would like to know if the following would be possible:

1. I submit an application for a settlement (fiance) visa, handing over my US Passport to the UKBA in the process.

2. I request a replacement US passport from the authorities here, to use while my primary passport is being held. I have read that the US authority will do this in cases where the passport is being held.

3. I visit the UK as a regular visitor while my settlement visa is being processed. Only a short time, less than a week. (This is because I'd like my family to meet my fiance, so I'd be visiting shortly with them.)

Thank you.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Visit UK as a visitor while awaiting decision on settlem

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:18 pm

Highly likely that you will be 'bounced' on entry. Border control may well take the view that with a pending fiancee visa and your fiance resident in the UK, you will overstay. A duplicate passport will flag up a warning with the entry officer. I also believe you will find that the US government will only issue a replacement passport as a matter of emergency.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.