ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch from Tier 2 sponsored visa to ancestry?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jameswhl
Newly Registered

Switch from Tier 2 sponsored visa to ancestry?

Post by jameswhl » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:08 pm

Hi all, I'd greatly appreciate some advice:

I am currently on a post study tier 2 sponsored visa. I also qualify for an ancestry visa (I initially opted for the tier 2 visa so that I could apply for the visa from within the UK). I'd like to "switch" to an ancestry visa so that I can, if I wish, change jobs. I have a number of questions:

1) Is it possible for me to switch to an ancestry visa from a tier 2 sponsored visa? (I understand that I have to return to my home country (New Zealand) in order to apply for the ancestry visa.)
2) Do I have to "cancel" the tier 2 visa before applying for the ancestry visa? Or will this happen automatically?
3) When applying for indefinite leave to remain in a few yeas, can I add the years I have worked in the UK on my tier 2 visa to the years I will work in the UK on an ancestry visa, in order to reach the 5 years? In other words: I have worked here for about 2 years on my tier 2 visa. If I now "switch" to an ancestry visa, in 3 years time will I be able to apply for ILR?

If there's anything important I haven't asked, please do let me know.

Thanks very much in advance. I have trawled the Home Office/UKBA website for answers to these questions, but did not have any joy.

James

Obie
Ireland

Re: Switch from Tier 2 sponsored visa to ancestry?

Post by Obie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:59 pm

You cannot switch from Tier 2 into this category, in the UK. You will need to travel to New Zealand to do that.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors