ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Education requirements for DV 2009

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

starfleet_hq
Newly Registered

Education requirements for DV 2009

Post by starfleet_hq » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:01 pm

Hello All

New to the forums so please be gentle. I need some help please.
I am thinking about entering the DV 2009 I have a few questions and would appreciate any responses.

Firstly when entering do both applicants have to meet the education requirements?

The reason is that my wife finished secondary school with 3 GCSE's then continued on and gained a Diploma in Beauty Therapy endorsed by the International Health and Beauty Council which she she hasn't used in a job for over 10 years. Can this be classed as Vocational school?

The lottery states that you must have successfully completed high school. Does this mean my wife needs to have the equivalent of a high school diploma. Will my wife's education cover this.

JAJ
Australia

Re: Education requirements for DV 2009

Post by JAJ » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:06 pm

starfleet_hq wrote:Hello All

New to the forums so please be gentle. I need some help please.
I am thinking about entering the DV 2009 I have a few questions and would appreciate any responses.
Are you British? If so, bear in mind that you can normally only enter the DV if you or your spouse were born in an eligible jurisdiction.

Where were you born?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:13 pm

I concur with JAJ - can you tell us which countries you and yor wife were born? Either of you dual nationals?

starfleet_hq
Newly Registered

Post by starfleet_hq » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks for your response

We live in the UK, 3 of us were born in the UK. However my wife was born in Zambia. we can get a number of affadavits of support for the USA as we have more relatives in the USA than in India

starfleet_hq
Newly Registered

Post by starfleet_hq » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:47 pm

Forgot to mention does the Education requirements apply to the principal applicant only. Mind you it would be great if we could apply seperately and increase our chances

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:14 am

starfleet_hq wrote:Forgot to mention does the Education requirements apply to the principal applicant only. Mind you it would be great if we could apply seperately and increase our chances
The rules specify "The law and regulations require that every applicant must have at least a high school education or its equivalent or, within the past five years, have two years of work experience in an occupation requiring at least two years training or experience." So it would appear that your wife qualifies on her own as well.

starfleet_hq
Newly Registered

Post by starfleet_hq » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:39 pm

Marco72

The rules specify "The law and regulations require that every applicant must have at least a high school education or its equivalent or, within the past five years, have two years of work experience in an occupation requiring at least two years training or experience." So it would appear that your wife qualifies on her own as well. :D

Sorry to appear dense somy wife's education fulfils the high school diploma then??

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:55 pm

starfleet_hq wrote:Sorry to appear dense somy wife's education fulfils the high school diploma then??
I do apologise, I had misread your message. I don't know if your wife's qualification can be considered equivalent to a high school diploma. My advice would be for her to apply anyway. The worst that can happen is that her application is refused.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:25 pm

starfleet_hq wrote: We live in the UK, 3 of us were born in the UK. However my wife was born in Zambia.
Your wife is eligible to apply for the DV-Lottery in her own right (Zambia is eligible) provided she has the necessary education requirements. You could go as a derivative spouse.

As for you, you can also apply and charge your eligibility to Zambia rather than the United Kingdom. In that case, you would have to migrate to the U.S. together with your spouse.

Is your Zambian born spouse now also a British citizen?

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:30 am

starfleet_hq wrote:Firstly when entering do both applicants have to meet the education requirements?
Only your wife may be an applicant due to her nationality. All other UK family members/citizens are her dependents .. meaning, she will have to demonstrate means of support for said dependents.

You will want to read through this recent topic; CRITICAL INFORMATION for all Green Card hopefuls contained therein:

-> US immigration -> DV 2007 Winner
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=17472

starfleet_hq wrote:The lottery states that you must have successfully completed high school. Does this mean my wife needs to have the equivalent of a high school diploma. Will my wife's education cover this.
Yes. The burden of proof will be on the applicant to demonstrate that their education is the equivalent of a United States High School Diploma.

We cannot answer that question directly here. You will need to research the school she attended and the diploma received to be sure it meets that criteria.

Basically, IF she wins AND she then passes the verification AND she is issued a green card ... THEN, after you are in the U.S., as her spouse you will be eligible to seek and obtain a job. But, not before then.

As indicated in the topic above, she will need to demonstrate some job offer or substantive means of support before a green card will be issued to her.

So, for example, if you get a job offer and a sponsorship, you can then use your job contract as a means of demonstrating means of support .. but that would mean you are entering the U.S. on the merits of obtaining a job rather than as the dependent of a green card holder.

the Admin

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:37 am

Administrator wrote:As indicated in the topic above, she will need to demonstrate some job offer or substantive means of support before a green card will be issued to her.
She may not need to have a job offer or sponsorship. Not everyone is asked to provide it, it seems to be up to the immigration officer. I have a feeling that those living in poorer countries tend to be asked for it more often.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:53 am

Given the current situation in the U.S., I strongly urge making plans to demonstrate means of subsistence for the applicant and all dependents.

It does not have to be a job/sponsorship. Those are merely two specific possibilities.

It can also be a documented history of bank activity, property ownership, etc.

Generally, if you show up at the interview with one large bank deposit the week before, it won't go well. Activity and ownership (etc.) should be for the previous year or longer.

Meaning, start a savings account immediately ... if she wins, your interview will be nearly a year from now.

Truly, though, the first and larger question at the moment is her High School equivalency. Without it, the application will be invalid or it will get tossed at the interview.

the Admin

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:18 am

Administrator wrote:.
Only your wife may be an applicant due to her nationality.
Firstly, nationality is irrelevant for the DV-Lottery. Birthplace is the primary determinant of eligibility. The Zambia born spouse may now be a British citizen - doesn't matter.

Secondly, a person born in an ineligible jurisdiction with a spouse born in an eligible jurisdiction may claim chargeability to the spouse's jurisdiction.

So in this situation, with two spouses one born in Zambia (even if now a British citizen) and one born in Great Britain, both spouses may apply for the DV Lottery. The Zambia born spouse is eligible based on birthplace, while the GB-born spouse may claim chargeability to Zambia.

starfleet_hq
Newly Registered

Post by starfleet_hq » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:28 am

JAJ

Going back to Education, when the rules stat that you must have successfully completed elementary and secondary education does that mean you must have a high school diploma. This is confusing because the UK doesn't have anything equivalent to it. How does one go about trying to prove that 3 GCSE's would be equivalent to the US high school diploma. Would they take into consideration the further vocational course taken ot just ignore it

starfleet_hq
Newly Registered

Post by starfleet_hq » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:55 am

Looking at the link below it

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants ... _1317.html

It states that the principle applicant during the interview needs to prove succesful education requirements or work experience. :D . No problem for me then having 1 application in

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:36 am

It would appear that GSCE are considered equivalent, at least according to this site

http://www.immigrationlinks.com/news/news139.htm

(look up Northern Ireland, the only part of the UK which qualifies).

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:41 am

JAJ wrote:
Administrator wrote:.
Only your wife may be an applicant due to her nationality.
Firstly, nationality is irrelevant for the DV-Lottery. Birthplace is the primary determinant of eligibility. The Zambia born spouse may now be a British citizen - doesn't matter.

Secondly, a person born in an ineligible jurisdiction with a spouse born in an eligible jurisdiction may claim chargeability to the spouse's jurisdiction.

So in this situation, with two spouses one born in Zambia (even if now a British citizen) and one born in Great Britain, both spouses may apply for the DV Lottery. The Zambia born spouse is eligible based on birthplace, while the GB-born spouse may claim chargeability to Zambia.
Absolutely my bad.

I even wrote up the explanation of it last year for the DV-2008:

US Green Card Lottery (DV-2008) information
http://www.workpermit.com/news/2006_09_ ... mation.htm

I mixed up the current citizenship with the country of birth. Sorry about that. :oops:

Also note that some other opportunities present themselves:

If you are born in an ineligible country, but your parents are born in an eligible country, you may claim the country of their birth.

Regarding the education requirement, it is the applicants responsibility to prove that their education is the equivalent of a U.S. High School diploma.

HOWEVER .. if they have two years experience during the past five years in a skilled occupation [ SEE : http://online.onetcenter.org/ ], they can bypass the high school equivalency.

Sorry about the confusion. I've read through a few too many things in the past year and haven't brushed up yet on green cards for the October DV-2009 lottery.

the Admin

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:48 am

starfleet_hq wrote:JAJ

Going back to Education, when the rules stat that you must have successfully completed elementary and secondary education does that mean you must have a high school diploma. This is confusing because the UK doesn't have anything equivalent to it. How does one go about trying to prove that 3 GCSE's would be equivalent to the US high school diploma. Would they take into consideration the further vocational course taken ot just ignore it
If your wife obtained a certificate then she had completed secondary school - but probably only just. I think that 5 GCSEs is required for further education, but to be honest, you can be considered as passing secondary education, I think, with 1 or more GCSEs. If she only has 3, she needs to contact DfES or some other relevant body and get a detailed explanation that she has passed her secondary education, because I don't think any of us would know.

HOWEVER! If she didn't pass the main subjects - English, Maths and Science - then she might be considered as not having passed secondary education. She needs GCSEs in these subjects to prove she qualifies. That's what I think, because these three subjects are COMPULSORY to take, whereas the others are kind of add-ons. GCSEs in IT, Music and French wouldn't be looked upon favourably here without English, Maths and Science, IMO.

The paragraphs are a little contradictory, I know, but that's because it isn't the same as in the US and a certificate is given for all subjects taken, but it doesn't mean you have 'finished' secondary education, if you don't obtain a certificate in those three compulsory subjects.

starfleet_hq
Newly Registered

Post by starfleet_hq » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:25 pm

Looks like only 1 entry then or do you think I should try my wife aswell.

Does anyone know what the chances are for people from Zambia to win?

Should I start a new topic?

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:29 pm

starfleet_hq wrote:Looks like only 1 entry then or do you think I should try my wife aswell.

Why would you not want your wife to try? It's free, and the worst that can happen is that they will reject her. By all means she should apply. The chances for people from Zambia to win are (theoretically) the same as for everyone else.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:38 pm

starfleet_hq wrote:Looks like only 1 entry then or do you think I should try my wife aswell.

It's a lottery, you do the maths. In fact, I'll help you out;

Calculate the number of Zambians who applied last year, and add to the number who applied from other countries.

Calculate the number of Africans who won, and the ratio of Zambians who won.

Then find the probability of Zambians who won out of all applications. And try and find out the probability of your wife's application being successful.

Now, add to that the probability of more people/Zambians applying in the 2008 round.

What's the probability?

starfleet_hq
Newly Registered

Post by starfleet_hq » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:37 am

sakura wrote:

Calculate the number of Zambians who applied last year, and add to the number who applied from other countries.

Then find the probability of Zambians who won out of all applications. And try and find out the probability of your wife's application being successful.

Now, add to that the probability of more people/Zambians applying in the 2008 round.

What's the probability?
:shock:

My maths isn't that good but would be nice to know the answer. :wink:

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:48 am

starfleet_hq wrote:
sakura wrote:

What's the probability?
:shock:

My maths isn't that good but would be nice to know the answer. :wink:
Well...if it's to find out if YOU would win (why care about other Zambians winning, if it isn't you?)...if we assume 5 million applicants apply, then it's 1 in 5,000,000. :roll:

starfleet_hq
Newly Registered

Post by starfleet_hq » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:29 pm

What's the probability?[/quote]:shock:

My maths isn't that good but would be nice to know the answer. :wink:[/quote]
Well...if it's to find out if YOU would win (why care about other Zambians winning, if it isn't you?)...if we assume 5 million applicants apply, then it's 1 in 5,000,000. :roll:[/quote]

Thanks Sakura. Will just have to apply and see what happens. I think I may consider Oz as a another possible location. Wanty to get out of the UK